PDA

View Full Version : Soviets Sleeper Accord build

SovietSuperSoldier
02-14-2015, 04:57 AM
I purchased an 88 Lxi 5 speed coupe one month ago for $500. The intention was to fix up a lil beater and drive it 20+ miles for work. I WAS IN FOR A BIT OF WORK.....
The car had 154k miles when purchased and electrical problems. As well as needing a paint job, new tires, a windshield, a tune up and an alternator, I figured I can fix this thing up fairly simple and not spend too much. I towed the car home and fixed its electrical problems that night. I then found it had a very soft, crappy ride. Nothing like what I was used to in my Prelude. So I immediately set out to find some sort of aftermarket suspension for this thing. This all proved rather difficult since everything for this car is quite difficult to acquire. After much searching on the web, I purchased new Tokico struts and Eibach sport springs for it and a DC strut bar. I was happy with that for now. I then got an extra 4th gen Accord alternator and fitted it in there. Fun. Now I have the car running semi reliably so I begin driving it every other day to figure out what other surprises await me. I discovered it had terrible idle, and I still hadn't emissioned this car yet. So I purchased new distributor cap, rotor and plugs and wires. That helped. I then decided the brakes need a bit of freshening up so I bought new rotors and EBC green pads. Ive yet to install them.
I have now put 2 new Federal 595's on it, completed its tune up, passed emissions flawlessly, and had its windshield replaced. I also bought a stage 2 clutch since i'm anticipating it will be changed soon. I then scored a deal locally for an entire gasket set for $20. After driving this car about 1 month, I've decided its time to look into what id like to do to this engine.... my intent is to race and beat a buddy of mine who has a fixed up Starion.lol
So I have ordered a Mosselman turbo manifold. Ive got an extra T3 Garrett turbo so I think i'll play with this thing a bit and add some boost. I also picked up a stage 2 tri-flow cam from a member here in hopes of using it someday.
Ive got a question for you seasoned Accord guys. I am looking for a new transmission for this car and I was thinking the Prelude of the same year might have a better trans? Is it any better? Also, where can you find poly bushings for these??? I need to replace several bushings and theres nothing I can find for this old chassis... A little help would be much appreciated. Im probably the only guy in Tucson who's still rocking an old ass Accord but id like to show them Integra and Civic kids what old school Honda can do with one cam!
I guess ill get some pix of this thing...eventually. Any useful insight is appreciated.... Also I'm no newb to Hondas of this generation or this Accord in particular.

Dr_Snooz
02-14-2015, 07:49 PM
The Prelude trans is geared a little lower, so you'll be faster getting up to speed. MPG will suffer of course.

But the real issue you're having with your car right now is that there are no pics of it in this thread!

SovietSuperSoldier
02-18-2015, 04:08 PM
Crap I don't know how to post pix from my phone. Damn it. Got a few things in this week...will post the pix when I figure out how to.

SovietSuperSoldier
03-11-2016, 11:31 AM

Before...

SovietSuperSoldier
03-11-2016, 11:44 AM

SovietSuperSoldier
03-11-2016, 11:47 AM

Now...

SovietSuperSoldier
03-11-2016, 11:51 AM

Dr_Snooz
03-11-2016, 08:04 PM
Looking good!

conozo
03-18-2016, 06:00 PM
Your on the right track with your plans and parts. Great to see another A20 engine getting a power boost to demand respect.

Tdurr
03-20-2016, 06:08 PM
does that thing have spray?

Beck5953
03-23-2016, 06:57 AM

Isn't that box on the firewall some sort of nitrous controller?

SovietSuperSoldier
03-26-2016, 10:24 PM
Lol yes its on nitrous. Working on maybe doing individual throttle bodies next.

alljacksrides
04-14-2016, 02:53 PM
Lol. Overkill! You better get a good cooling system.

Tdurr
04-14-2016, 09:08 PM
Nawzz!!!