PDA

View Full Version : High Revs

Coitis1
12-28-2002, 12:28 PM
as i said in the thread about my horrible gas mileage, i was trying to run the tank try to see if my fuel gauge had something wrong with it. well, i was running errands yesterday and when i got in my car and started it right up, it revved up to like 3000 rpm's by itself for a couple of seconds then stuttered and died. it took a few times to get it started. i thought i had actually ran out of gas and i was scared that i would get stuck somewhere. so after i got it started i drove to the closest gas station to gas up. what the hell would cause it to rev like that by itself?? any ideas, thanks.

socal3rdgen
12-28-2002, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Coitis1
as i said in the thread about my horrible gas mileage, i was trying to run the tank try to see if my fuel gauge had something wrong with it. well, i was running errands yesterday and when i got in my car and started it right up, it revved up to like 3000 rpm's by itself for a couple of seconds then stuttered and died. it took a few times to get it started. i thought i had actually ran out of gas and i was scared that i would get stuck somewhere. so after i got it started i drove to the closest gas station to gas up. what the hell would cause it to rev like that by itself?? any ideas, thanks.

i dont know but when you want to run out of gas just gun it everywhere untill it dies. dont trun the car off though. just becuase to start a car takes more gas then just leaving it running.

Scotts88WhiteLX-i
01-03-2003, 03:33 AM
that is true in carb. engines but not in fuel injected engines socal.....Did you tap the gas before you started it?? My bet is that your throtle cable got stuck for a second..... Spray some wd40 on it where it turns just so it wont hapen again........

ACCORD EX
01-03-2003, 07:14 AM
check the throttle cable and see if anything is in it's way !
and clean teh carb too with a carb cleaner may be the choke gets stuck !

MIKE