PDA

View Full Version : Oldblueaccord is getting rusty!

Oldblueaccord
02-19-2015, 03:04 AM
Not sure where to put these pictures,not even sure I want to post them. :(

Couple others. This just a rust check I do every year I just looked in the right places this year!

this one of the driver side pinch weld has got me more concerned than anything.

ryan427
02-19-2015, 07:24 AM
This is probably a stupid question... damage from road salt? I don't have any of that rust but did have some over the passenger side, rear wheel lip (repaired and painted). A body man I am not (among other things)... is that all repairable? Not terribly expensive? Dude, I'm sorry!

2oodoor
02-19-2015, 05:04 PM
If youre in South Ga Ryan, you might find rust down in corners where dust and very fine sand never gets rinsed out/off or drains get stopped ul and collect water, like under weatherstriping. The airborn fertilizer and sand /dirt in that area of the state so were not immune to the car cancer lol.

Blue no need to be shamed of the pics :) how will you address these spots? Dremel wire wheel?:D If that is the floorboard in the one pic of the large flat surface then that could be a water leak from the inside?

Dr_Snooz
02-19-2015, 07:11 PM
Is that on the Bronco?

2oodoor
02-20-2015, 05:03 AM
these are NOT Broncos correct? :D

Is that on the Bronco?
http://3geez.com/uploads/images/imagesduck.jpg

Oldblueaccord
02-20-2015, 08:38 PM
This is probably a stupid question... damage from road salt? I don't have any of that rust but did have some over the passenger side, rear wheel lip (repaired and painted). A body man I am not (among other things)... is that all repairable? Not terribly expensive? Dude, I'm sorry!

Over the years I have been real good about NOT driving it on salt roads or snow. With the tires I run there useless in the rain let alone anything else. I wash the underneath alot too. I drive those other old cars I have when the weathers bad.

I'd guess its pretty repairable. Problem I see is like the rocker panels I don't think they make replacements so anything like that have to be custom hand made. If it was a 57 Chevy I'd just order a new car out of one of those catalogs!. I just got to think about what I want to do and how far I want to go with it. I mean its a 27 year old car its served me well. I guess I just regret not seeing it earlier maybe and getting after it sooner.

Um as far as the "Bronco" comment.....Well on my Internationals if I see rust I just cut it off with a zip wheel!

2oodoor
02-21-2015, 03:53 AM
It seems like I read where a member found nos rockers for a hatchback no less, been sveral years though.
A cordless sawsall and any other new nifty cordless tools out now would be handy to cut out some junk yard sheetmetal parts.
The great thing is<you are concerned and want to get on it :)
Yeah it is cool...and tempting sometimes ....to just go for another toy now like you say, you can buy just about the whole car brand new nowdays (camaros chevelles trucks bugs stangs gto 50's sleds...shit the list is huge) lol a Cornbinder you can just cut and splice feed signs to restore lol jk

lostforawhile
02-21-2015, 11:12 AM
if you want to keep inside the quarters and other hidden pockets rust free, get some LPS 3, and spray inside the panels from time to time, it's like a wax, a lot of pilots spray in hidden areas on their airplanes, especially float planes used in salt water, great stuff

Oldblueaccord
07-16-2020, 01:00 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goMuJ44dksE

Lil update.:crying:

https://imageshack.com/i/pn1UQN5Ej

https://imageshack.com/i/pm1LNys8j

https://imageshack.com/i/poxfRhRRj

Dr_Snooz
07-16-2020, 07:15 PM
That's crummy! Are you handy with a MIG welder?

conozo
07-17-2020, 06:02 PM
Mines much worse than that but i plan on tackling one wheel well at a time then the rocker panels. I don't drive in the rain because my back seat gets wet. Since its all under the car the patched up panels dont need to look good as i learn body work that way.

Oldblueaccord
07-18-2020, 07:42 AM
Looking it over after that video I did notice there are lot more rubber plugs on the inside of the rocker too and other places I never noticed really. Ill have to cut into it and see what I can do. I got my MIG setup for small wire right now but every part is going to have to be custom done and it takes forever.

Dr_Snooz
07-25-2020, 07:52 PM
No kidding. Body work is either ferociously expensive, or ferociously time intensive. I definitely want to see lots of pics when you do this.

Oldblueaccord
08-15-2020, 12:50 PM
Well I borrowed a bore scope last week and peaked a little more inside. Looks like the rust is up maybe 18 inches from the rubber plug. Rest of the rockers inside area looks really good.

No pictures...the Milwaukee bore scope I borrowed was pretty junky. hard to use and no way to capture the pictures. The screen really sucked over all.

The spots behind the rear wheel wells where the rear bumper start are bad too. I suspected i was getting water inside the rear when I drove in the rain. Theres alot of seam sealer but when I pulled it it was as rust. If you pull your little Honda jack out and look into that cubby hole its pretty easy to see.

I guess the first step is to pull all the plastic panels out...and then its all down hill from there!

Dr_Snooz
08-15-2020, 06:50 PM
Light some candles and say a few Hail Marys before you start. Good luck.

Oldblueaccord
09-30-2020, 05:30 PM
Mines much worse than that but i plan on tackling one wheel well at a time then the rocker panels. I don't drive in the rain because my back seat gets wet. Since its all under the car the patched up panels dont need to look good as i learn body work that way.

You guys bought those rockers and now there gone atm. I was going to use the 4 doors and cut them up to fit mine.