PDA

View Full Version : power steering

niceride
12-28-2002, 04:32 PM
My power steering has been leaking for about a couple of months now I've had to refill every 1-2 weeks, 2-3 weeks if I used a castorl stop leak. I was told I should just replace the whole power steering components but about a couple days ago I decided to buy prestole conditioner and stop leak and the car hasn't been leaking at all? :wtf: I had a new guy actually raise the car and see if he could find leaks but he couldn't, we moved the steering back and forth but no leak. I'm very confused as to what I should do. :werd:

dirty89lx5sp
12-28-2002, 05:05 PM
Sit and see what happens...sometimes stop leak additives can make probs down the road...just depends on what you can spend...where are the leaks coming from...could just be a hose or 2 to replace...hopefully low pressure one as it is cheap.

ACCORD EX
12-29-2002, 03:04 AM
yeah just wait and see what happens ! mine had a small leak and suddenly stopped !

MIKE

Lester Lugnut
12-29-2002, 03:38 PM
The power steering hoses on 3G cars will develop leaks, especially if the hose is original.

The dealers get about $300.00 for this hose and that's just for the hose. I'm not saying this is your problem, but if it is and you have a set of ramps, you can fix it fairly easily.

Put the car up on ramps and examine the entire length of the hose from the pump to down underneath the car where it attaches to the steering gear.

If the hoses is wet anywhere along the way, remove it and take it to a reputable shop that rebuilds hydraulic hoses. This costs about $50 - depending on where you live - labor rates vary.