PDA

View Full Version : Paint

SteveDX89
05-20-2002, 12:47 PM
I went out for estimates today on my way to work. One place told me $3500. I about shit my pants. No way in hell I have that kind of money. I have to break down and go to Maaco. They're running a special. Ultra Urethane Paint with a 4 year warranty which is $449 and the Value Prep package which is $100 for $450. I talked them down to $375. They need to strip my hood and headlight covers cause the original paint is cracked. They're painting the right door jamb, striping the pinstripe, and filling the holes for the emblems. Total price $761. I know Maaco's rep isn't that good but reading what Yasu said about his Maaco job plus the 4 year warranty sold me. I take it in tonight and get it back Saturday. Can't wait. Teehee.:p :super:

87AccordsterLx
05-20-2002, 11:21 PM
I was thinking about going maaco as well... but if I wanted them to strip all of the paint and prime/paint the moldings do you think it will be over $1000??? Im thinking so... I just dont like the idea of painting over old paint... oh and also... do they paint the underneath of the hood and trunk and the door jams as well???? Thanks...

damackz
05-21-2002, 01:21 AM
yeah but Yasu needs to get another paintjob cuz its not as shiny/glossy as it used to be......saw the car in person and the job looks decent but its harsh faded.......man get a base/clear paint job u wont regret it but if ur strapped for cash u gotta do what u gotta do peace! :pimp:

YK86
05-21-2002, 09:46 AM
It all depends on the personal value of your car. Even if my paint is faded now after 4 years, I think the $400 to have it looking shiny and the color of my choice for three years was well worth it. I never planned on keeping it this long originally and $2500 to have a high quality job is totally not worth it for me. Especially here in BC where they use lots of salt, so any expensive paint job would have been ruined by rust bubbles in the rear wells anyways unless I spend another $1000 getting it cut out. I do need to take it back for another paint job but I will probably use good quality paint from the local auto store and get Maaco to spray it. So, that means $1000 spent in the last 4 years and with better paint, who knows how long it will last this time?

TeKKnoTeKK
05-21-2002, 11:46 AM
If you use your own paint will they still warranty it Yasu?

YK86
05-22-2002, 12:54 AM
Probably not but I know the stuff sold at the local auto store is WAY better than Maaco stuff. The main difference is no more integrated clear coat (Maaco mixes the clearcoat and paint together so less protection again the sun causing the oxidization in a few years). If you want to use the Maaco stuff, get them to spray a few coats of clear coat on top of the layer they put on that's included in their paint package. Then it will only cost a bit extra and will still be under their warranty.