PDA

View Full Version : Inspection blows

larnaton
12-29-2002, 06:14 AM
Well, I hate to say it but the ol' Accord looks like it's going to be parked for awhile... the inspection runs out at the end of this month and it needs extensive exhaust to pass :( the guy told me it would be about $400 to do it(Which I think is way to much) but that was including the flex converter. Anyway, I'm stuck until I can come up with enough money to either fix'er up or get another car to drive around :( Problem is I'm stuck in another one of those friggen paradox's.... Need a car to get to work, need to work to fix my car.... You know the drill.

njpeter
12-29-2002, 07:53 AM
the local shop wants $150 for the downpiep with flex, another $150 for the converter and a bucnh more for labor and other partws ( like hangers pipe and muffler.

I got a converter for $100 ( don't ask how I melted the original one) and actually bought flex section for $30 ( epi via JC whitney)

you should be able to grab an exhuast at a junkyard for maybe $150 tops.

Nasty work without air tools and a torch, but I've done it with liquid wrnech a hammer and some sharp chisels.

winter sucks for this work however.

so how bad is it really?

if you get rejected in NJ, you get 30 days ( unless it's something like the entire exhaust is miissing, or none of your lights work)

dXsquared
12-29-2002, 08:41 AM
man u guys have problems! 400 bucks for exhaust? thats 630 canadian! i can have a pipe made with a flex pipe and cat and muffler for 350 bucks! so like 223 american! plus he will hang it for another 20 bucks! never buy prefabed exhaust parts. find a small shop and get them to make a pipe for u... i see this all the time when u guys pay even 250 american for a cat back ! thats insane! i can get a cat back pipe for like 20 american! i should start exporting exhausts for the 3gee! i could make a bit of cash and u coud get super cheap exhaust!

Travis

87DXHatch
12-29-2002, 05:37 PM
What the hell is this "inspection" everyone always talks about?? Do you have to go in to see if your cars pollute too much every year, or what?

All I know is we don't have to do any of that dumb crap here in MN.

But I know CA is picky about vehicle emissions, and when I was over on the East Coast, it was smoggy as hell, so I think they'd care too... but up here in MN, nobody gives a flip.

larnaton
12-29-2002, 06:03 PM
inspection= The state deeming your car safe... Pa isn't that strict on emissions, but regardless... I'm sunk for a bit.

Neuspeed87lx
12-29-2002, 06:52 PM
my inspection sticker expired like a year ago and im still driving the car

89AccordNate
12-29-2002, 07:23 PM
Larnaton: It sounds like to me you give up to easily. Dont take one shops quote to seriously. All you need is a stock exhaust system. When I was looking around for shops I stayed AWAY from big name places like midas, etc. These shops have to charge a certain amount according to their books. Smaller shops (which I know exist in PA because its as redneck as WV) dont have to charge this kind of money. The guy can more or less take a number off the top of his head and tell you it. Call every shop in the phone book, whether it has a reputable name or not. Its an exhaust, its not rocket science. If it makes you pass inspection, then thats all you need.

Get on the phone and start calling, $400 is wayyyy to much.

Nate.

dosh8er
12-29-2002, 08:30 PM
no inspections here in hickland :flipa: