PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Idle Control!?!?!??!

InfinityAudioLXi
12-29-2002, 09:27 AM
I went snowboarding last night and on the way home my battery light came on which was very weird because I have a pretty new battery, and its a good one. After about ten miles the check engine light came on and so I pulled over at a spot called Government Camp and I checked the CPU LED underneath the driver seat and it flashed 14 times continuosly which indicates the Electronic Idle Control is not working. What the hell is the electronic idle control? To me if felt like the alternator went bad because it just wasn't charging the battery. But please respond kinda soon because I have to get this fixed today. I am going to take out my alternator today and have it looked at by the local shop. Oh and by the way my car died lastnight and wouldn't even start, you couldn't even hear the fuel pump or anything, as if the alternator just wouldn't even charge it. And I have an '89 Accord LX-i sedan. thanks guys

ACCORD EX
12-30-2002, 01:08 AM
so you can't run the car right now ! even by jumping ! right ?

MIKE

mvk
12-30-2002, 06:37 PM
Sounds like you might have toasted your alternator. But then why the codes? that puzzles me.
If alternator is fixed and replaced, reset the ECU code and see how it works. Does it set the codes again?

Sorry I know this is not a big help but a direction at least.

MVK

mvk
12-30-2002, 06:40 PM
As per the most FAQ section code 14 is as follows

Code 14 88-98 Accord
IAC Valve (Idle Air Control)
defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor

Hope this helps

MVK

Tim Yoak
12-30-2002, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by mvk
As per the most FAQ section code 14 is as follows

Code 14 88-98 Accord
IAC Valve (Idle Air Control)
defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor

Hope this helps

MVK Its giving codes because the voltage is low, when your alternator is out and the battery voltage starts going low the computer will start doing all kinds of crazy things. It probably can't move the idle air control valve because of the low voltage to the valve motor, and the computer thinks the valve is bad. I have a dx with the computer carb and even mine will start going crazy with low voltage. From what you are saying the battery is just dead from a bad alternator when my alternator went out the light never even came on. on the dx as long as the thing is spinning the light will stay off. even if the alternator isn't putting out anything

Tim Yoak
12-30-2002, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by mvk
Sounds like you might have toasted your alternator. But then why the codes? that puzzles me.
If alternator is fixed and replaced, reset the ECU code and see how it works. Does it set the codes again?

Sorry I know this is not a big help but a direction at least.

MVK low voltage is confusing the computer