PDA

View Full Version : Problem with egr system

highend64
03-03-2015, 01:41 AM
Hi, I am new here. I have an 88 honda accord lxi automatic and the problem I am having is that I am not getting vacuum to the egr valve when I rev the engine. I have put a a vacuum gauge on hose #16 and I am not getting anything. I have checked the egr control solenoid valve and is not activating. Can this be a problem with the ECU? I am trying pass the NOx emissions and failed as a gross polluter:mad:

cygnus x-1
03-03-2015, 09:00 AM
If you don't have a service manual you can download this one:

http://bluegreenlabs.com/Accord/usdm-accord-1989-full.pdf

It has the troubleshooting procedures to track down your EGR problem.

C|

Oldblueaccord
03-03-2015, 12:05 PM
there are some big write ups in the EFI section as well.

highend64
03-03-2015, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the info. Where can I get a harness for the ecu to be tested?

Dr_Snooz
03-04-2015, 08:38 PM
Typically, the only EGR problem that will cause you to fail emissions and NOT flash a CEL is a coked up EGR valve or coked up channels in the intake manifold. An easy test for that would be to put vacuum to the EGR valve and see if it kills the engine.

There can be other causes of high NOx too. Can you be more expansive as to what you're trying to do?

highend64
03-05-2015, 04:04 PM
I'm trying to fix my car so it can pass smog.

Jafir
03-07-2015, 02:38 PM
So you are or you are not getting a check engine light? If not, does the light come on when you first turn the key on?

highend64
03-07-2015, 04:19 PM
Yes the light comes on when you turn on the key on and then goes off. When the car is on, I dont get a flashing code nor the check engine light is on.

Jafir
03-08-2015, 05:38 AM
The LXi should have a lift sensor on the EGR valve. If it wasn't opening you'd get a check engine light. Now that's not to say everything EGR is working correctly, but at least vacuum should be getting to the valve when it is supposed to.

Dr_Snooz
03-08-2015, 07:56 AM
I'm trying to fix my car so it can pass smog.

This is a less than helpful reply. Maybe some description of how it's failing? Perhaps some numbers from the test might be useful, or a brief outline of what you have done to address the issue already? Maybe let us know how the car runs generally? Heck, even the state you're testing in would be good. As it is, you haven't really given us anything to go on except, "I am not getting vacuum to the egr valve when I rev the engine." I'm not aware of any reason why you should be getting vacuum under those circumstances, so why do you think this is important?

We're here to help, but we can't do it for you.

Typically, the only EGR problem that will cause you to fail emissions and NOT flash a CEL is a coked up EGR valve or coked up channels in the intake manifold. An easy test for that would be to put vacuum to the EGR valve and see if it kills the engine.

We know now that you aren't getting a CEL, but you haven't told us whether the EGR valve will kill the engine yet. Go and do some testing and get back to us with the results.

highend64
03-08-2015, 10:22 AM
I am getting about 2000 ppm on both speed. The egr valve does open when I apply vacuum and stalls the engine. What I notice is the egr control solenoid valve does not open but tested directly to battery voltage and am getting the valve to open.

Dr_Snooz
03-08-2015, 10:30 AM
I am getting about 2000 ppm on both speed.

What are the speeds and what are the allowable maximums? What is your state? What else have you done to test and repair this issue? Why do you think that the EGR solenoid is supposed to operate this way? Have you performed the troubleshooting steps outlined in the Honda manual?

highend64
03-08-2015, 12:17 PM
Yes I have went thru the troubleshoot manual. The only thing I have not done is check for voltage at the ecu harness. The maximum allowed is around 700 for the 15 mph and 500 for 25 mph. I'm I'm California.

firefighterwhite89
03-17-2015, 10:05 PM
Quick fix:move out of smog nazi California