PDA

View Full Version : Took it to shop, lost man card

ryan427
03-03-2015, 06:05 PM
More of a confession than anything... Major oil leak from crank seal and oil pump seal. Honestly, I just haven't had time to mess with it and I'm losing oil like crazy. So, I took it to a mechanic where I'll pay dearly for his skilled labor. Yeah. He's doing all the seals behind the timing cover and will replace the timing belt if it's got oil all over it (likely).

Feeling a little guilty about it but don't want to destroy the engine and no time to work on it right now. Additionally, this job was a little intimidating to me which makes me feel even less of a man!

Go ahead, judge away. Tell me I'm an asshole and paying $300 for something I could do myself for next to nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hauntd ca3
03-04-2015, 12:47 AM
If you dont feel confident about doing the job ,dont feel bad about not doing it and paying someone else to do it.
Nothing to be ashamed about or feel less manly over.
and if the mechanic screws it up, you have some come back

Fixedit
03-04-2015, 10:26 AM
Yeah man, I feel like you're more of a man for admitting you're uncomfortable attempting something alone rather than jumping into it and possibly screwing up big time. Now, it'd be even better if you had the time and resources to ask someone to teach you or try to teach yourself, but that's not always easily available and I'm sure you chose the best option for your situation. In the end your car will still be fixed, everything's good.

2oodoor
03-04-2015, 01:44 PM
$300 isn't bad at all for that, man card reissued for a smart move.
It is likely the oil pump seals which is pretty easy but it does require time which is money. Oddly when those leak the belt rarely gets oil on it but it sure gushes out esp when parked. Also this internal oil leak causes intermitant oil pressure loss which is emergency surgery man.

Hauntd ca3
03-04-2015, 02:22 PM
Yeah man, I feel like you're more of a man for admitting you're uncomfortable attempting something alone rather than jumping into it and possibly screwing up big time. Now, it'd be even better if you had the time and resources to ask someone to teach you or try to teach yourself, but that's not always easily available and I'm sure you chose the best option for your situation. In the end your car will still be fixed, everything's good.

I have my own auto electrical business, but I still come across problems I cant sort out, I have no problem going and talking to other auto sparkies , mechanics or dealerships for any ideas.
I've no problems saying that to customers either.

ryan427
03-04-2015, 04:45 PM
I have my own auto electrical business, but I still come across problems I cant sort out, I have no problem going and talking to other auto sparkies , mechanics or dealerships for any ideas.
I've no problems saying that to customers either.

Loving that you called them "sparkies". Our family friend is an Electrician and calls himself that too. Awesome.

Yeah, this is all in good fun. I'm going to tackle some other things myself... Just did the carburetor replacement and steering rack (never again on that stupid rack) so I'm learning.

The mechanic did me a solid and replaced the oil pan gasket and filter adapter gasket for an extra $75. He has a lot of experience with these cars and was excited to see one in good shape.

Thanks for encouragement! Nobody even called me an asshole (yet)!

ryan427
03-05-2015, 04:01 PM
For those of you that care... Good view of the bottom end with the oil pan and pulleys off. Noteworthy: only got 5k miles out of the water pump (was definitely leaking) and the same for timing belt because it was covered in oil. So, new timing belt, water pump, oil pan seal, cam seal, crank seal, oil pump seals (internal and external) and oil filter adapter seal. Actually ended up being $425 since the water pump was bad. It happens. Pics:
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/05/214260dc2a5f3a905315db284232d001.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/05/d0a9d0f5025a7018f95f9948b16d3a5a.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/05/066b101a6a2c5a17b92facbab219c9a9.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/05/d28bd95770ee4546b232fdf2cb7be04f.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/05/6cde048b5a561730248b3f1dc9bf3d8c.jpg

A LOT of oil slung under the car... Clean up this weekend!
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/05/44e8426d9707f2af38f48688e3ee031d.jpg

ryan427
03-07-2015, 07:08 AM
Happy to report that I can now park in my driveway. Absolutely no oil leaking at this time. The rear main was dry as a bone but I am cautiously optimistic... Since none of the other seals are leaking anymore it could put more pressure on the rear main. Unless that isn't really true. Time will tell. Now for pressurized hot water for the undercarriage and oil-caked front suspension!

Fixedit
03-10-2015, 07:38 AM
The driver's side under the car looks exactly like mine right now. I had a leaking Oil Filter Base, so I replaced that gasket and the oil pressure sensor (leaked as well). Thought I had it fixed, since the oil level doesn't drop any more after a few weeks of driving, but turns out I also have a combination of Power Steering fluid, PAG oil, and possibly a tiny crank pulley oil seal leak that still coat the bottom with oil grime. Oh well. I'm just at peace with the fact that I'm not draining my oil down the road, imagine that catastrophe. I have no clue how this car survived the last owner; the cooling system is ruined with rust because she only used water.

Glad to hear yours is doing well! Did you/have you ever had to replace any of the hoses in the jungle of coolant hoses above the transmission area?

ryan427
03-10-2015, 07:53 AM
I feel your pain. I just removed the power steering pump a couple of weeks ago to disassemble, clean, and install new seals. It was a really easy job and the pump is now as good as new for $15. A new belt and fluid added another $20 to the job. I don't have any leaks from the oil pressure sensor... Yet. I can do that one myself but I didn't feel comfortable attacking the crank, cam, and oil pump seals.

Haven't had the pleasure of replacing coolant hoses up there yet. I'd really love to drain the system and just replace all of them at once.... but, add it to the list.

Fixedit
03-10-2015, 08:26 AM
Yeah, I'd love to do the same. I'm thinking though that if my cylinder head replacement goes well, I'll replace any bad ones while I have the room to do it. Thanks for the tip on the pump, I may do that soon. I got the car with lower P/S fluid & topped it off, but I've only had to top it off once since then (thankfully).

ryan427
03-13-2015, 02:24 PM
Yeah, I'd love to do the same. I'm thinking though that if my cylinder head replacement goes well, I'll replace any bad ones while I have the room to do it. Thanks for the tip on the pump, I may do that soon. I got the car with lower P/S fluid & topped it off, but I've only had to top it off once since then (thankfully).

Been three days bro. Surely you've changed that head by now. [emoji6] Still no oil on the driveway... Such a relief.

Dr_Snooz
03-15-2015, 01:13 PM
Haven't had the pleasure of replacing coolant hoses up there yet. I'd really love to drain the system and just replace all of them at once.... but, add it to the list.

Definitely the recommended way to do it. Once one goes, the rest start following and it's one crisis after another. It requires a lot of swearing, and money, but you really want to replace them all at once, before they start bursting.

ryan427
03-16-2015, 04:28 PM
Definitely the recommended way to do it. Once one goes, the rest start following and it's one crisis after another. It requires a lot of swearing, and money, but you really want to replace them all at once, before they start bursting.

I'm on it. Driving this car 80 miles per day (and it is doing great) so, that's cheap preventative maintenance... and solid advice.

Dr_Snooz
03-23-2015, 07:50 PM
I'm on it. Driving this car 80 miles per day (and it is doing great) so, that's cheap preventative maintenance... and solid advice.

It's experience is what it is. There's nothing like standing on the side of the freeway, during rush hour, in your nice suit and slippery shoes, fishing down deep to get that especially hard to reach line that has just left you stranded, that you just couldn't be bothered to get when you were dirty and had all your tools, standing there saying to yourself, "if I weren't an idiot, I wouldn't be here doing this right now." You can't really save yourself at that point, but you can tell the other guys on the board to replace their hoses in one go. LOL

1989accordaz
05-08-2015, 08:00 PM
Good call, If I am short on time or not sure about what I am doing, I am not messing with it. I always ask myself " If I do it wrong, what is the worst that can happen?"

The last time I took my car to a mechanic, was about 10 years ago...and all they did was replaced a fuel filter.

Fixedit
05-09-2015, 07:02 AM
Yeah my hoes I mean hoses are cracking through and making a mess of things, I think I'll try and get them all. I haven't replaced the head yet, but will as soon as I get the one off my parts car rebuilt. Tell me, how is one supposed to unbolt the intake with the engine in the car? I barely got it with the engine sitting on the ground.

ryan427
05-10-2015, 09:31 AM
Yeah my hoes I mean hoses are cracking through and making a mess of things, I think I'll try and get them all. I haven't replaced the head yet, but will as soon as I get the one off my parts car rebuilt. Tell me, how is one supposed to unbolt the intake with the engine in the car? I barely got it with the engine sitting on the ground.

Impact wrench. Oh yeah.

Dr_Snooz
05-10-2015, 03:21 PM
Tell me, how is one supposed to unbolt the intake with the engine in the car? I barely got it with the engine sitting on the ground.

I don't think it's possible.

rigel
05-11-2015, 11:24 AM
I thought way too much about this problem of removing the intake on the carb'd version while I was removing the intake+head as a unit.

I've been meaning to experiment a bit at the jy but time and effort is at a premium right now.

I think if you remove the entire torque rod assembly (down to the bell housing) and clear out some of the hoses you might be able to do it. There's no way youre gonna get the studs out in place though, so removing the studs from the exhaust mani and pulling it back or removing it entirely if going to need to happen.

If anyone's tried this I'd like to hear about it.

conozo
05-11-2015, 04:32 PM

I've unbolted mine and put it back on with the engine in the car. Its not easy. You need small fingers to hold the bolts through the intake runners while you reach around with flex socket or i used very long open end wrenches to get it started reaching from the thermostat side. You have to take the coolant pipe out to get to all of those bolts. You work from underneath the car too with a very long socket.