PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Replacing O2 Sensor

1987HondaAccord
12-29-2002, 07:46 PM
I have tried to replace the O2 sensor but it just won't come out :( How do i get the thing out?? Would some WD40 help to loosen it up? should i take out the fan for more room? I can't seem to find an O2 socket at an autoparts store and i dont want to cut one of my sockets up. I have tried to use an open ended wrench but i dont think it fits on very well. Can anyone give me some advice about this????

thanks ;)

ELM'sLX+CHL'sDX
12-30-2002, 11:34 PM
Try spraying the area with WD40 or Liquid Wrench. That stuff eats way at rust and should loosen the seized O2 sensor. Removing the O2 sensor on our cars is a pain in the A**. My friend who is a tech had a wrench with a swivel head. He used that to remove the sensor. I couldn't do it with any of my tools since the wrench was too long to fit in the tight space.

Claude

TheSummoner101
09-24-2004, 07:37 PM
hi guys, well my car while driving the needle for the temprature drops...i had it checked and they said i might have to get the thermostat changed or the o2 sensor....which could it be?

and how hard is it to replace both and how much would it cost?....to do it myself

and lastly if i do it myself where would i get the stuff from? auot zone has it?

thanks guys....this is kinda urgent so any help is appriciated

edit: car is 89 accord lx carb'd auto

mag_pbg
09-24-2004, 08:25 PM
TheSummoner101, don't kow about the O2 sensor but the thermostat is acually really easy, first drain your coolent by removing the plug on the bottom of the radiator, then trace the top coolent hose to the thermostat housing, undo the bolts, there should be two bolts, then pull the old thermostat out put the new one it and wallla. You should be able to get one from autozone for like $5 or less, if your temp guage dropped then it sounds like your temp sending unit is out, it is a small plug ontop of your thermostat housing with I think just one wire running to it, if you pull off the plug it should be a brass peice that has a nipple on it.

Slavic
09-25-2004, 02:16 PM
1987HondaAccord, rent an oxygen sensor socket kit for free from AutoZone. I think NAPA does that too. Do not buy the cheap black metal one form auto parts stores, it will strip. WD40 will help and so will a breaker bar or a long torque wrench.

If you didn't get the sensor already the universal Bosch is the cheapest option at $16-19 and the only difference is that it doesn't have the plastic connector so you have to connect the wires instead.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
09-25-2004, 06:06 PM
Never ever use a torque wrench to losen anything! A breaker bar is your best bet. You can cause severe problems by using a torque wrench instead of a breaker bar. Other than that use plenty of PB blaster and find a socket that will work correctly(as Slavic suggested). Hope this helps.

accordlxi2.0
09-25-2004, 06:13 PM
yea like screwing up your hand as you go to get it off and the you hit the fan and some of your skin is on thier.

summoner101, the o2 sensor has nothing to do with the temp gauge.
now when the gauge dropped the sensor probaly went dead, is it staying in the cold position, or what??

smufguy
09-26-2004, 09:30 AM
if you want to get it out easy. Do what they said. but since i dont have a condensor. all i have to do is just drain the radiator. pull it out, get myself a lot of room with radiator gone. Put a pipe wrench to that bitch and it comes out in a second. A heavy ass 18" pipe wrench is ur best friend. Believe me, i carry two of em in my trunk. it will help u out more than u can possibly thank. people say get the genuine O2 sensor from honda and dont get the BOSCH universal one and what not, but i have the Bosch and i have put 24K miles in 12 months of having it and never gave me a problem and i passed inspection too. And i get about 25 mpg. so yeah, its better. -

Slavic
09-26-2004, 09:58 AM
Never ever use a torque wrench to losen anything! A breaker bar is your best bet. You can cause severe problems by using a torque wrench instead of a breaker bar.I agree a breaker bar is made for this purpose and using a torque wrench may not be the best of ideas seeing that they may cost $100+ if you brake one so if you use one be careful, however the reason I suggested you use it is that you may find it difficult to place the socket and a breaker bar in a position where you have enough travel to loosen it. A rachet and a pipe, to give more leverage (what I used) or a torque wrench are much more convenient in that respect but use them at your own risk.

Neuspeed87lx
09-26-2004, 06:35 PM
just make sure you use your craftsman torque wrench ! ...lifetime warranty

TheSummoner101
09-26-2004, 07:44 PM
yea like screwing up your hand as you go to get it off and the you hit the fan and some of your skin is on thier.

summoner101, the o2 sensor has nothing to do with the temp gauge.
now when the gauge dropped the sensor probaly went dead, is it staying in the cold position, or what??
no, it warms up, and sometimes while driving it falls below 0...

and what guague are you talkin about that broke? the 02 sensor?

Sabz5150
09-26-2004, 08:10 PM
Try spraying the area with WD40 or Liquid Wrench. That stuff eats way at rust and should loosen the seized O2 sensor. Removing the O2 sensor on our cars is a pain in the A**. My friend who is a tech had a wrench with a swivel head. He used that to remove the sensor. I couldn't do it with any of my tools since the wrench was too long to fit in the tight space.

Claude

I don't have any problems removing the O2 sensor, just the special socket and a breaker bar. Also having no A/C or power steering helps with that situation.