PDA

View Full Version : e brake light

Neuspeed007
12-29-2002, 10:03 PM
i just turned on my car warmed it up, and drove down the road, when i turned the corner, the E Brake light came on, so i parked the car turned it off turned it on it was still on, the e brake was off, but the lights on, i did a test on a hill, it works fine, any body know how i can fix this little dilema

much thx

Scotts88WhiteLX-i
12-29-2002, 10:58 PM
Maybe you could loosen up the e-brake cable.... it might be a little tight....... but lets hear what the other guys have to say......

Mike's89AccordLX
12-29-2002, 11:01 PM
That's what I was going to say.

Blue Impact
12-31-2002, 09:05 AM
I had the same problem too and what I did was take the bulb out of the cluster, which is a bad thing. When the weather clears up and if I have time on my hands, I will try adjusting the ebrake cable.

TheSummoner101
08-23-2004, 03:03 PM
sorry to bring up the old thread, but i ran into this problem this morning...any1 knwo where/how to find the ebrake cable? So i can fix it....cuz it does get annoying, and i was dropping of my friend today, and he was scared cuz he thoght that meant i had no brakes lol :P

well lemme know, thanks in advance.

NXRacer
08-23-2004, 03:09 PM
the lever sensor is underneath your center console cover. pull it off the ebrake assembly and you'll see it under there.

AZmike
08-23-2004, 03:14 PM
I thought that light also came on if the brake fluid level is too low.

TheSummoner101
08-23-2004, 03:50 PM
Ill check both, thanx NXRacer and AZmike

SteveDX89
08-23-2004, 06:53 PM
The e-brake has got to be really out of adjustment for that come on like that. Usually it means the fluid is low or there is a system failure somewhere.

MrBen
08-23-2004, 09:12 PM
Don't you adjust the ebrake by going in reverse and pulling the ebrake to adjust?

Ludi Mali
08-23-2004, 09:34 PM
just put some elecrical tape over the light, and it won't bother you anymore. I did that on my mom's previa, becaue the cpu said nothing is wrong, but the light is always on.

MattsAccord
08-23-2004, 09:48 PM
Yeah my sister's 3gee did that, I checked the fluid and it was low after I filled it up it went off.

AZmike
08-23-2004, 10:02 PM
Don't you adjust the ebrake by going in reverse and pulling the ebrake to adjust?

You remove the little plastic cover at the rear of the center console (points toward the back seat). Then turn the adjusting nut in if the brake engages with too many click or out if the brake engage with too few clicks.

MrBen
08-23-2004, 10:22 PM
You remove the little plastic cover at the rear of the center console (points toward the back seat). Then turn the adjusting nut in if the brake engages with too many click or out if the brake engage with too few clicks.

I'm aware of that and have done it in the past. However, I consult with my old mechanic occasionally and he told me that on you can also adjust it by going forward and backward to adjust the brake. Maybe this just applies to new brakes.

SteveDX89
08-24-2004, 02:11 AM
That is too adjust the brakes after new shoes are put on. Since you mess with the adjuster, the shoes are most likely too far away from the drum. Backing up and hitting the brakes causes is what cures that.

TheSummoner101
08-24-2004, 06:01 PM
yea im low on brake fluid...prolly go 2morow to kragens or something :) thanx guys

btw: i tried taking the center console out to check wires, i got the front lifted up (the part wid the ebrake) is there a screw in the back or something?....i was able to check loose wires, there weren't any, but how do u remove the console? if i ever need to :D hehe thanx 4 help :)

MrBen
08-25-2004, 08:25 AM
yea im low on brake fluid...prolly go 2morow to kragens or something :) thanx guys

btw: i tried taking the center console out to check wires, i got the front lifted up (the part wid the ebrake) is there a screw in the back or something?....i was able to check loose wires, there weren't any, but how do u remove the console? if i ever need to :D hehe thanx 4 help :)

There are two scews in the back under the little access panel (behind the part you pull up.) It's best to sit in the back seat and unscrew it from there. Unscrew those and the whole console comes up (you also have to unscrew the screw on either side closest to the ebrake console from the console around the shifter.) That's how you take the console out. :welcome:

By the way, to adjust the ebrake cable, just grab a wrench and start tightening/loosening, whatever you need to do, the nut on the ebrake cable. There are two, one for each side. Think the specs are about 7 clicks (how many clicks you hear when you pull the brake up)

Mike's89AccordLX
08-25-2004, 08:34 AM
Ghettoaccord you can adjust it a little bit by going in reverse slowly, but it takes a long long time. It could take 2 hours just to move the star one click. In class the past 3 days we've been learning more in depth about the braking system.

If you go around a corner and the brake light comes on check the fluid. That's whats causing it. Then you have to figure out why the fluid was low.

HondaBoy
08-25-2004, 10:36 AM
i may be too late on this, but here. i've found that it will constantly stay on when the brake fluid gets low, usually due to worn front brake pads. its happened to me many times. i know i've solve many peoples problems by telling them to check pad wear and its usually an indication when your pads need to be changed, which on the 3gee is simple as shit!

Mike's89AccordLX
08-25-2004, 10:49 AM
If your pads are worn that won't trigger the brake lamp in the dash. The pads are designed to make a noise when they are low. Brake fluid needs to be changed every 2 years or 24,000 miles whichever is first.

Moodybluesr
08-25-2004, 01:29 PM
If your pads are worn that won't trigger the brake lamp in the dash. The pads are designed to make a noise when they are low. Brake fluid needs to be changed every 2 years or 24,000 miles whichever is first.

As the pads wear, though, the pistons move outward and pull more fluid from the master cylinder, turning on the brake light when the fluid level gets low enough. That is why there are wires coming off the master cylinder cap.

This is not a foolproof indication of when it's time to change your pads, however; visual confirmation is always the best idea, as the wear indicators on the pads themselves can snap off (ask me how I know).

Bottom line, if your brake light comes on when the ebrake is not in use, check your fluid level. And if your fluid level is low, check it a few more times over the next few days to make sure that the problem isn't due to a leak.

TheSummoner101
08-25-2004, 02:24 PM
Yeah my sister's 3gee did that, I checked the fluid and it was low after I filled it up it went off.
yo thanx man, i added some brake fluid and the light went off :)

There are two scews in the back under the little access panel (behind the part you pull up.) It's best to sit in the back seat and unscrew it from there. Unscrew those and the whole console comes up (you also have to unscrew the screw on either side closest to the ebrake console from the console around the shifter.) That's how you take the console out. :welcome:

By the way, to adjust the ebrake cable, just grab a wrench and start tightening/loosening, whatever you need to do, the nut on the ebrake cable. There are two, one for each side. Think the specs are about 7 clicks (how many clicks you hear when you pull the brake up)
thanx 4 the welcome and help :), i got the light fixed, and i will keep an eye on it to see if the level goes down again...hopefully it dont

BTW its 10 clicks, i checked it just right now...is that bad? i dont use the ebrake normally :P