PDA

View Full Version : Yet another no charge battery light issue.

chaditotx
03-17-2015, 09:30 AM
New battery, new alternator. battery will take a charge, and hold it. Battery light is on, and alternator is not charging. All fuses are good including mains, tested with meter for 12v. Pulled green 3 prong plug at alternator with key on, and got 12v from two of the terminals, and .8v from one of them (blue white wire). choke coil is not grounded out, I ohm metered it and didn't get continuity to ground, just very slight resistance. Alternator is from oriely auto, and when I first installed it the battery light was on but went off after about 5 minutes of driving. 50 miles later, its on again and I am only getting .8 volts to the choke coil with the car running. Sound like a crappy out of the box alternator to you guys?

ryan427
03-19-2015, 07:35 AM
Similar thing happened to me. Replaced the alternator with a better brand and, problem solved. I don't trust O'Reilly/Advance/Autozone for good alternators. I've not had a bad one from NAPA yet but some are beginning to question their quality. Beck Arnley seems to be a pretty safe bet. Sorry you're having to deal with this as it isn't a pleasant job (real pain in the ass).

Oldblueaccord
03-19-2015, 09:27 AM
Looking at page 24-21 of the 1988 Helms.

Step 3.
Disconnect the choke heater connector.

with the engine running, if the light goes out there is a short in the choke heater.

It also list the No 8 fuse (10 amp) in the relay box is on the wht/green wire.