PDA

View Full Version : Shift Rod Boot? Replacement?

phillman5
03-18-2015, 07:59 PM
The guy who changed my oil in an 87 Prelude (note later its also an Accord piece, so I am also posting here) noticed that the Shift Rod seal and boot need to be replaced, its a manual tranny. I found the seal no problem but I can not find the boot. Its part 24316-679-000, part #2 in the image. This is the same part as 88-89 Accord, 86-87 civic, 86-87 CRX, 86-87 Prelude. Does anyone have any suggestions for substitute?

I found some earlier thread here about replacing this beast, but they are from 2007 - 2010.

Dr_Snooz
03-27-2015, 09:19 PM
Finding the parts is the least of your worries. Doing a full tear-down of the trans to get the old parts out is the real challenge. Just keep an eye on the oil level until it's time to do a complete overhaul. Then replace those parts.

phillman5
03-28-2015, 11:00 AM
Finding the parts is the least of your worries. Doing a full tear-down of the trans to get the old parts out is the real challenge. Just keep an eye on the oil level until it's time to do a complete overhaul. Then replace those parts.

Since this leaves a hole big enough to allow a family of field mice to take refuge in the tranny, + any sand, dirt, water kicked up while just driving I think I should get that seal replaced pronto. Yea, I now realize you have to do a complete tear-down to replace this seal due to the design of the shift rod end :rant:. I notice Honda went back to the original design after this generation.

Dr_Snooz
03-30-2015, 07:13 PM
Well if the hole is that big, then it's time for the overhaul because the oil long ago drained away. The seal and boot come as part of a rebuild kit, so buy a kit and git'r done.