PDA

View Full Version : Stubborn car

Dia Fria Claro
12-31-2002, 08:26 AM
A few wks ago, I went to a gas station (it was cold out) and when I turned off the car, it dieseled for a few seconds (it only does this once in a great while). It was pretty cold out for Florida...about 40 or so? Anyway, I got gas, then tried to start the car...and I could hear the starter going but it wouldn't catch. I did that for a while, and then checked the gas cap (I dunno about all of them, but the carbed 89s have a non-ventilated fuel system...won't run with the cap off). Finally, I got some guy in a camaro to come over and try jumping me off. That made the starter sound different, but it didn't really catch. Then he tried starting it...and he flooded the carbeurator until finally it started, and smoke came out of every nook and cranny. (Since then, it's worked fine...any suggestions? Did it have to do with the dieseling?

89AccordNate
12-31-2002, 08:39 AM
Yep, you flooded it. It doesnt want to start whenever you do that. When it diesels its burning off that excess fuel. If you would had let it sit for a few min, and then tried..it probably would have started. Our carb cars are weird like that...mine does the same thing at rare moments.

Nate

Dia Fria Claro
12-31-2002, 08:47 AM
Well, I didn't flood it before I turned it off...but when HE flooded it, it seemed to work, which was the odd thing. I tried starting it over the span of like 20 mins, in between trying to call someone to come tow me home...lol.

ACCORD EX
12-31-2002, 01:50 PM
change plugs , fuel filters ! did it turn normal or slow ( i mean cranking ! )

MIKE

Dia Fria Claro
12-31-2002, 03:35 PM
it cranked normal at first...then it slowed down when it was hooked up to the camaro. I don't think it needed jumping off...lol.

ACCORD EX
01-01-2003, 01:58 AM
jamping a car by another battery is not recommended because the amp rating differes ! ( of course the camaro has different amp rating ) anyway check your battery fluid!

MIKE

accordboricua
01-01-2003, 09:16 AM
Hey...Dia Fria Claro..lets plan a meeting

Dia Fria Claro
01-01-2003, 09:41 AM
I think that's a great idea...maybe we could form a local group or something. Where are u at?

anchovies
01-01-2003, 11:15 PM
hey guys, check the FL meet thread
http://3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10976&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

mindlos
01-02-2003, 11:37 AM
On the flooding thing, do not turn the key off while the car is on high idle. Tap the gas to disengage high idle before turning off because there is a high chance it will flood.

Now once a car is flooded there is a way to start it without waiting around for at least 5 minutes. Here is what you do if it will not start because of flooding:
push the gas pedal ALL THE WAY DOWN and hold there (WOT) then crank while at WOT until it starts. Mine took about 6 to 8 seconds when I flooded it. Just do not crank long enough to harm your starter per try otherwise you will have bigger problems. Apparently it is a built in mechanism. If you crank at WOT no gas is fed in so that it gets rid of the excess while cranking. Since excess gas ends up in the cat when its not quite hot enough it produces all that smoke, a severe case of incomplete combustion.

If you ask where I got that WOT crank thing, some old guy who is apparently good with cars saw me arrive at the strore, and frustrated as I was tryin to leave, so he walked over and gave me the tip. Worked like a charm.

Mike's89AccordLX
01-02-2003, 11:41 AM
Where does the gas go if you have a straight pipe? Hehehehe I just felt like saying that because I just got my straight pipe in the mail from Whitehonda.

Dia Fria Claro
01-02-2003, 01:03 PM
Thanks, I'll try that if it does it again. What does WOT stand for?

89AccordNate
01-02-2003, 01:35 PM
Wide open throttle.

IN other words, push the gas pedal to the floor!

Nate.

A20A1
01-02-2003, 02:01 PM
At WOT you've already cleared out the accelerator pump diaphragm... and it doesn't refill untill you've let the pedal go, thats what keeps the gas from feeding.
...Though you'll still get a little gas from the venturies and the idle fuel passage.

mindlos
01-02-2003, 07:03 PM
Hey Mike, is the accelerator pump adjustable either by volume or duration because my car surges then stumbles every time when taking off from idle and sometimes at slow speed coasting, as if the fuel lag is not being covered when switching from the idle to the power circuit??
It surges to about 2K rpms then immediately drops down to about 1.3K or less then continues rising in that 1+ second of takeoff.

The only other thing that may be related is my float level seems to be low and after reading all the posts I dont wanna risk unending leaks of fuel and taking out the carburator top just to change the O-ring. Would the float cause this kind of behavior as described above? Even though its not right I'm still not running out of fuel or jerking on extended driving in the 3K-4K rpms so I doubt the float level is it. I'm getting the pump but its not going far enough.

-Mandla

A20A1
01-02-2003, 07:33 PM
If you say the float level is low you should adjust it... but just wait till you have the the right size o-rings to replace the broken ones before you start. (I think the size is listed in carb tech somewhere)

First thing though I would check the fuel filters.
Then look and the vacuum lines... in particular the one to the powervalve.
The other thing to check is the booster venturies, make sure they are tight.

I've been working on ways to change the duration and volume... but don't have anything made and running yet.