PDA

View Full Version : ignition switch or short>

jeffpinto
03-22-2015, 11:59 AM
i have an 89 lx with weber kit(not that that matters) my girlfriend has been driving it lately and its been dying on her... she will be at full speed ($35- 55) with the car seems to loose part of the electrical. The Blinkers and clock Die, the car looses spark , then engine dies. but the radio never dies. the radio is Not hooked directly to battery, it is hooked up to the original wires the stock stereo was hooked too. As soon as the car comes to a stop , it can be restarted simply by shuting the key off , and turning it back on .I'm thinking this is likely an ignition switch issue. but wouldn't that kill the stereo? please help, any ideas will be appreciated

Dr_Snooz
03-22-2015, 02:54 PM
I would be looking at the ignition switch. Remember that position 1 on the switch turns on the radio and all accessories, but not any running components. Pull out the switch and check the condition of the solder joints. Also be aware of its action. If the detentes are soft and mushy instead of crisp and smooth, that's another sign that the switch is done. Try putting it in position 2 and then wiggling it around to see if the dash lights flicker.

If that all checks out, then start checking for loose connections. Check the #11 clock fuse. Check the #1 fuse as well. Look at the connections inside the fuse box for any signs of melting or corrosion. Stab around inside the under hood fuse and relay box for anything wiggly or wobbly. After that, consider the possibility that some safety switch, like a clutch interlock or neutral safety switch is failing.

88Sleeper
03-24-2015, 10:28 AM
I x2 dr-snooz, but does it happen usually around the same time after you get driving?

If the solder or wires are bad, then it may run for a while until the wires gear up & expand, then lose connectivity. In that case though, I'd expect it to die around the same time & place each day...?

My other idea would be a bad charging system, but that wouldn't explain why it fires back up when you stop...