PDA

View Full Version : Interior lights

Dia Fria Claro
12-31-2002, 03:51 PM
The door light on my right rear door stopped working, so I swapped bulbs with the other side and the bulb seemed to work fine. A few minutes later, my dome light went dark, too. I don't know about that bulb (since I don't have another dome light to test it in, and I tore the bulb up getting it out) but I suspect it's the same problem. Anyone know what the problem could be?

Also...how feasible would it be to replace these lights...all of them...with white LEDs? I keep the way the lights look now...ie I don't want to use christmas lights or anything.

AccordEpicenter
01-01-2003, 01:59 PM
somtimes the switches in the doors go bad or work intermittantly

89AccordNate
01-01-2003, 04:35 PM
I would check the fuses first. Also check the switches on the doors. They are shaped like L's. As the door closes it turns the switch off. When the door is opened, the metal touches to metal and the door lights will kick on. Take them out (2 screws and a wire behind) and work them back and forth. They may have some stuff built up from many years of use. You can swap another set in from another car, thats what I did and they work fine now. These activate the dome light too if it is set on the setting to turn on when the door is opened.

If the dome light doesnt work period even when its in the On position, look closely at the bulb and you can see if the filament is still in tact. If the small wire is broken then the bulb is blown....if not, then its another problem!

Nate.

accordboricua
01-01-2003, 07:13 PM
Yo...finally someone brings this up. For the pas 3 years I've been without dome or door lights. I've checked everything...I took out the L shapped switch and replaced it with another 3geez's switch...still didn't work...the only door light that works is the front right door...the dome light..even in the "ON" position...it doesn't turn on...I've changed all bulbs...replaces all switches...checked all fuses...I mean ALL...I'm still with no dome light as with 3 other doors as well...
Is this a comon problem on 3geez????

Dia Fria Claro
01-01-2003, 08:12 PM
Maybe the fixtures themselves could be bad? Assuming the problem that's in the door lights and the dome lights is the same...it may have something to do with however they made them. A permenant solution might be to install an aftermarket fixture...in that case I might as well change to LED anyway. Or we could take a look at 4 and 5 G fixtures, and see if they're any different...they might have fixed the problem by then.

Dia Fria Claro
01-01-2003, 10:48 PM
accordboricua - did you check the grounds? I just talked to my dad, who is familiar with electrical stuff, and he said that's a possible problem. Also, the wires run through that plastic thing from the door to the post...they could be frayed or cut. I haven't checked this yet myself, but I will when it's light out.

:flash:

Leviathant
09-12-2003, 10:23 AM
When I bought my accord a week ago, I'm pretty sure the dome light worked, but don't think that the trunk light worked. Just went to the Honda dealership after not finding the lights anywhere else, and swapped them out. Still no go. This seems to be the most relavant thread I've found via search, so I hope no one minds my bringing this back up :)

Mac
09-12-2003, 12:24 PM
It sounds like the switch in your right rear door is the problem. The switch supplies a ground to both the door light and the dome light. If you pull switch (1 screw) and ground the wire the lights should work. There may be a little spark. If they do come on, clean up the switch and the mounting area.

If they don't come on after you touch wire to a good clean ground, check for 12 volts at bulb. If it is there, then ground the outside of socket and see if the light comes on. If it does you have a broken ground wire.

Mac
09-12-2003, 12:37 PM
accordboricua, you might have a few problems. First check to see if you have 12 volts at the dome light. If you do ground the outer part of socket and see if light works. If it does check your ground, I believe its a wire that goes to 1 of the mounting screws.

If you don't have 12 volts check fuse #13 in under the hood relay/fuse box.

Another possibility (although slim) is that the safety indicator is bad. I think fuse #2 supplies voltage for that.