PDA

View Full Version : Red neck turn signal after headlight turn signal rod broken

AC439
03-31-2015, 08:08 AM
After the headlight turn signal rod broken off to an unrepairable state, I wired the headlight switch and turn signal switch so I'm legal to drive.

The new headlight switch is next to cruise control. Initially I put this switch for fog light, now I'm using it for headlight. I did put a relay so this switch does not pass high current. Then I put an on-off-on switch as the turn signal and have it attached to the shift lever. Only thing now is I have to cancel the turn signal manually. But it is convenient to have it attached to the shift lever.

Until I can find a reasonable priced used parts, it will be the temporary solution.

If anyone has an extra headlight turn windshield wiper assembly that can sell to me, please PM. Its an 86 LXi 4dr.

-AC

carotman
03-31-2015, 11:01 AM
haha redneck indeed.

At least it works and that's what's important.

Fixedit
03-31-2015, 01:00 PM
I have an 89 parts car, would the turn signal and wiper switch assemblies work on your 86?

AC439
03-31-2015, 01:29 PM
I have an 89 parts car, would the turn signal and wiper switch assemblies work on your 86?

I heard the 89 is thicker and the column cover will stop the rod stay at right turn signal position. But I'm willing to try and mod for fitting.

sending PM...thx.

Dr_Snooz
04-01-2015, 04:35 AM
That's a pretty elegant fix, really. I was going to suggest it in your other thread, but you've got it more than covered.

Are there not any junkyards in your area that you could comb for that part?

AC439
04-01-2015, 04:26 PM
Thanks. The pic doesn't show the messy part of the turn signal. But you can see in the background the yellow/red/black wire that I jumped out of the combo switch. Those are old wires salvaged from broken computer power supply.

I have driven the car like this for a couple of days and still reaching to the left of the steering column for turn signal, LOL.

My next thought is to fabricate a stalk for to attach back to the column switch for turn signal and use external switches for parking/Lo/Hi lights.

Fixedit
05-05-2015, 10:36 AM
How did the switch assembly end up working?

AC439
05-05-2015, 11:34 AM
Sorry have not been able to update the forum. Life gets in my way of working on the Accord.

Basically the 89 switch does not fit. I thought about it but gave up the idea of modding the switch to fit so I'm kind of undecide what's next.

I will be likely go get a wooden rod and have it attached to the old broken stalk and it will only serve as turn signal control. I just keep the separate switch as light switch then.

Ebay price are way too high for consideration.

Fixedit
05-05-2015, 12:05 PM
Dangit!! I'm sorry it didn't work for you, I was excited to see it installed. Oh well, I hope you find the real deal for cheap!

AC439
05-05-2015, 12:37 PM
Dangit!! I'm sorry it didn't work for you, I was excited to see it installed. Oh well, I hope you find the real deal for cheap!

Me too was excited when the part arrived, only when I put them side by side then I know they are little difference. And thanks so much for helping !

Fixedit
05-05-2015, 12:48 PM
No problem, I had fun making a bee-line for the post store on my lunch break!

AC439
05-13-2015, 10:12 AM
Well, I finally finished the turn signal fix. Using a 3/4" Oak rod to fabricate a stalk for the turn signal. Works fine. The new headlight switch remain unchanged next to the cruise control master switch.

Fixedit
05-13-2015, 10:22 AM
Pretty cool idea!

AC439
05-13-2015, 11:00 AM
Pretty cool idea!

Thanks. My wife hates it, saying can I get more redneck than this ?

Fixedit
05-13-2015, 11:18 AM
Hahaha, it's better than no turn signals/using hand gestures! I think it's pretty clean actually. Character is good for a car

Dr_Snooz
05-17-2015, 03:30 PM
Paint it black and no one will know.