PDA

View Full Version : universal door lock actuator to replace stock broken actuator ?

AC439
04-01-2015, 04:31 PM
I have been living with this partial broken power door lock on my 86 Lxi 4 door for a while.

I searched the forum but most information are for *adding* power door locks to those that has no power door locks. But what about using universal power door lock actuators to replace the broken stock power door lock actuators ?

I remember the stock actuators are like a square box with gears inside or something like that. I don't remember if the front door key locks are part of it or not.

Has anyone done this repair before ? Or I need to go for stock actuators ?

Thanks.
- AC

Fixedit
04-02-2015, 01:16 PM
I'd also like to know the answer to this

I too have an 86 LXi 4 door

With broken power door locks

AC439
04-02-2015, 01:30 PM
I was reading a thread here few years ago about power door lock noise and one member posted he used a universal actuator. I asked if he can post a link and never get a reply. I cannot find any information in this forum as to if it can be done. I did more search yesterday and came up to this link which may give some insight to it.

Installing Power Door Locks in the Miata (http://www.miata.net/garage/pwrlock.htm)

I think I can tie an aftermarket one to the existing linkage rods BUT am unsure if the motor in the stock actuator will prevent it from moving. Or I have to take apart the stock actuator and remove the gears so the linkages will move freely by the after market actuator.