PDA

View Full Version : Cruise control might be posessed

ryan427
04-02-2015, 05:22 AM
If there were ever a time for me to use the manual to troubleshoot an issue, this would be it. I intend to do that, but wanted to get some quick feedback first. Here's the issue, the best way I can describe it (just began yesterday): Get up to speed (usually 65-70mph), set cruise. Cruise holds at that speed pretty well for about 10 seconds. After that, some pretty erratic speed changes. I can lay my foot on the gas pedal and feel that its position is fluctuating pretty rapidly. Almost as if the CC unit isn't sensing the speed. I'm aware of the speed pulse thing in the speedometer housing so that is definitely something I'll study. One other thing to note, my speedometer has always been "bouncy" but it has recently become really loud and will bounce between speeds as much as 5mph in a second's time. I know I need to address that. I was thinking it is the cable however it might be something more. Reasonable to think this is directly affecting my cruise control function? Anyone else ever have this problem? I've contacted a Priest this morning too, just in case. :wtf:

Dr_Snooz
04-02-2015, 07:57 PM
Replace your speedo cable and dig into the manual to get the cruise sorted.

ryan427
04-04-2015, 04:58 AM
Definitely a connection between that speedo cable and the cruise. Yesterday, it didn't bounce much at all and the cruise worked perfectly. Will replace that cable and go from there. I fear it'll be a real PITA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

derolph
04-05-2015, 07:34 AM
Definitely a connection between that speedo cable and the cruise. Yesterday, it didn't bounce much at all and the cruise worked perfectly. Will replace that cable and go from there. I fear it'll be a real PITA.
Please post an update after you replace the speedo cable. I really can't see any connection between it and cc. I believe the speedo cable simply works the speedo and the cc is based on vacuum. So, I'd like to know what you experience with this.

ryan427
04-05-2015, 07:54 AM
Will do. From what I know, the electronic cruise control unit processes the signal from pulses generated by the unit connected to the speedometer. This is me speculating, but if the speedometer is bouncing around, then the cruise control unit is receiving bouncy signal. Disclaimer: this is the way I understand this system to work based on what I have read. My neighbor's cruise control stopped working when his speedo stopped working (he has the same car). Could be total coincidence but I wouldn't think so. I'll report back when I replace that cable. Might be a week or so as I'll have to order one.

derolph
04-05-2015, 11:26 AM
I also have pulsating cc behavior with my Accord. However, I have not seen the same connection with the speedo as you have observed. My speedo cable does make noise during colder temps here in Ohio. It will be noisy for a few minutes or longer, depending on the temperature outside, and then gradually taper off and become silent. In warmer temps - oh, say 50 degrees and above - it usually makes no noise. Aside from the noise issue though, it does not pulsate or fluctuate when driving. However, if I activate and engage cc, travel speed will fluctuate (go up and down and back up and back down, etc.) several mph; up/down cycles will be repeated every 15-20 seconds, or several times minute. Consequently, I do not use cc.

In addition to the speed fluctuation described above, I have another issue with cc. If I press the button to decelerate, speed goes up, not down. So, I wonder whether an electrical or switch issue is the cause of this.

Dr_Snooz
04-05-2015, 01:43 PM
There is a magnetic sensor in the speedo that sends pulses to the cruise control unit. A description of the system's operation starts on p. 25-71 of the Honda manual.

g.frost
04-05-2015, 08:09 PM
Before replacing the speedo cable, you might try cleaning and oiling it. Remove the cable from the transmission end and pull out the cable completely from the sleeve. Clean and oil it being careful not to kink it. May have to put it back in and repeat several times to work the oil all the way up the cable to the speedo. This worked for my cable to stop the bouncing and noise.

ryan427
04-06-2015, 03:06 AM
Before replacing the speedo cable, you might try cleaning and oiling it. Remove the cable from the transmission end and pull out the cable completely from the sleeve. Clean and oil it being careful not to kink it. May have to put it back in and repeat several times to work the oil all the way up the cable to the speedo. This worked for my cable to stop the bouncing and noise.

Excellent advice. I wasn't sure if the braided cable pulled out from the sleeve. I will give this a shot and report back. Thanks again.

2ndGenGuy
04-06-2015, 07:57 AM
After I replaced my speedo cable, my non-functioning cruise control started working again. If the speedo is wobbly, your cruise will freak out because it can't compensate for the rapid speed changes. The speed sensor is inside the cluster and is what operates the cruise control.

derolph
04-07-2015, 05:20 PM
After I replaced my speedo cable, my non-functioning cruise control started working again. If the speedo is wobbly, your cruise will freak out because it can't compensate for the rapid speed changes. The speed sensor is inside the cluster and is what operates the cruise control.As stated in my previous post, I'm puzzled by this. I have speed fluctuation if I turn cc on, yet my speedometer holds steady with the cc off.

derolph
04-07-2015, 05:22 PM
After I replaced my speedo cable, my non-functioning cruise control started working again. If the speedo is wobbly, your cruise will freak out because it can't compensate for the rapid speed changes. The speed sensor is inside the cluster and is what operates the cruise control.As stated in my previous post, I'm puzzled by this. I have speed fluctuation if I turn cc on, yet my speedometer holds steady with the cc off.

Before replacing the speedo cable, you might try cleaning and oiling it. Remove the cable from the transmission end and pull out the cable completely from the sleeve. Clean and oil it being careful not to kink it. May have to put it back in and repeat several times to work the oil all the way up the cable to the speedo. This worked for my cable to stop the bouncing and noise.So, the inner cable is not connected to anything at the dashboard end? If not, then how does it power the speedo?

g.frost
04-07-2015, 07:37 PM
The cable is square on the end(s) where it engages to the speedo. So it slides right out but spins the speedo when fully inserted. The trick with cleaning and oiling is to work the oil all the way up to the speedo. (....unless you want to pull the dash apart to oil it directly. )

derolph
04-08-2015, 07:30 AM
There is a magnetic sensor in the speedo that sends pulses to the cruise control unit. A description of the system's operation starts on p. 25-71 of the Honda manual.Thanks Dr. I will dig into it.

The cable is square on the end(s) where it engages to the speedo. So it slides right out but spins the speedo when fully inserted. The trick with cleaning and oiling is to work the oil all the way up to the speedo. (....unless you want to pull the dash apart to oil it directly. )Thanks for that info. I believe grease is a better choice than oil for lubricating a speedometer cable; it's more sticky, less fluid. I discovered that O'Reilly Auto Parts sells a lubricant specifically speedometer cables; it's at Dorman Champ 9-1812 - Speedometer Cable Lubricant | O'Reilly Auto Parts (http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/CHI0/91812/N2440.oap?ck=Search_C0073_1395266_-1&pt=C0073&ppt=C0338)

I guess I might need to access the speeedo in the instrument panel anyway to replace the magnetic sensor if lubricating the cable makes no difference in my cc behavior.

g.frost
04-08-2015, 09:38 AM
I just used Red Line MTL; it's in the household oil can. Most grease may be a bit too viscous for that long spring. The Dorman is oil that comes out to $255 a quart. :)

derolph
04-09-2015, 07:08 AM
I just used Red Line MTL; it's in the household oil can. Most grease may be a bit too viscous for that long spring. The Dorman is oil that comes out to $255 a quart. :)Hmm ..., $22.99 for the Red Line MTLWell, which comes in a much larger container than needed for this purpose, vs.the Dorman lubricant, which is specifically for speedometer cables and only costs $3.99. I guess you calculated the $255/qt based on the cost of the Dorman speedo cable product but the cost for a quart, whatever it would be, is irrelevant in my view. The Dorman product clearly seems like the better choice.

g.frost
04-09-2015, 07:51 AM
Red Line MTL is what I use in all Honda manual transmissions, so always some on the shelf. Last time it was about $12 a quart at local auto parts. I just used the best general purpose oil I had around. MTL also works for coo-coo clocks, sewing machines and door hinges. Likely motor oil would work as well for the speedo cable, but does contain detergent additives that are not needed here. Use whatever suitable oil, but it may take more than 1/2oz to do the cable.

ryan427
04-18-2015, 03:40 PM
I finally got around to tending to this today. It was a 30 minute job, start to finish. I couldn't find any speedometer cable lube at the local parts houses. So, I went by tractor supply and found Liquid Wrench chain and cable lube. Pulled the cable from the tranny and then all the way out of the sleeve. Cleaned with brake parts cleaner then sprayed it down thoroughly with the oil. I also sprayed the oil down in to cable sleeve... Three short squirts.

Still bounces between 20 and 35 but it is absolutely quiet now. Holds perfectly steady at speeds below 20 and above 35. The speedometer is a little more accurate now, especially at highway speeds. It used to read 5-6 mph higher than actual speed. Now, it's 3-4 mph "over" the actual speed. I'm good with that. Just glad it is quiet.

Best part is that the cruise is no longer possessed. We've exercised the demons. This is another great way to save a few bucks while keeping your Accord on the road. Refurbishing the original parts on our cars as opposed to trying to find new/used parts can also be more fun (when it's not a pain in the ass). Again, thanks to this forum.

g.frost
04-26-2015, 07:53 PM
If the bounce between 20-35MPH still hasn't settled down after a couple weeks, you might try another rinse and repeat to get more of the old dried up lube cleaned out of the cable.

ryan427
05-03-2015, 03:54 PM
Good advice. I did notice some of that old dried up lube when I pulled it out of the sleeve. You're probably right in that there is more. I'll give it another whirl.