PDA

View Full Version : fog light installation question

89accordboi
01-01-2003, 07:16 PM
where do the wires go through the firewall? im nooooob :(

accordboricua
01-01-2003, 07:18 PM
Under the dash in the drivers side...take the carpet out a little...and just over the gas pedal there is a like a rubber washer...that's the one I used for the wires.

89accordboi
01-01-2003, 07:22 PM
thanks, but how do i get the wires to there, i have to just reach down like through the carb or something? or do i have to take shit out? i better not... sorry im noob with cars

maka_RTH
01-01-2003, 07:25 PM
i ran mine through a little rubber grommet dealy that was on the drivers side way upper right side. its hard to describe, but i had someone stick their finger on it as i pressed it from the inside to make sure it was gonna put the wires under the dash and not hidden somewhere... sorry for the crappy description

accordboricua
01-01-2003, 07:26 PM
Pass the wires from the inside out...then go to the engine bay and ull see them sticking out in the firewall just behind the carb

89accordboi
01-01-2003, 07:31 PM
ah thats a good idea, but i dont know where im going to mount the switch, i think on the left side of the steering wheel cuz theres a spot that doesnt have anything there and i think u can pop them out. thx for the help people

accordboricua
01-01-2003, 08:20 PM
there's where i have mine

maka_RTH
01-01-2003, 08:37 PM
and mine, until i make a cutsom switchboard down where the tape holder is(way in the future)

Elijah
01-01-2003, 08:59 PM
thats the same place i have my nitrous switch

ACCORD EX
01-02-2003, 04:35 AM
did you check the how to 's ??
how to wire fog lights
check out here !
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5027

MIKE

Mike's89AccordLX
01-02-2003, 08:57 AM
Seriously it was kinda funny at first but now it's kinda annoying. It's not a good thing being "Post Whore" of the year and only being registered since NOV 2002!!!

Nospeed
01-02-2003, 02:54 PM
the easiest way *i think* to pass wires from the engine compartment to the interior is to find a hole (or rubber grommet) on the firewall in the engine compartment and pass some big wire (like for an amp) and just keep feeding it...then look under the driver/passenger side for a wire hanging down!

as far as the switch, i know the stock fog light switch will work for fog lights, i used the one that was in my car...you can probably just jack one from a j/y or something...it is on the left side of the steering column...and it has a yellow/green (someone said it was different colors, mine was yellow) and wire it up! the stock switch has a +, -, and ground...hook your positive wire to the +, the other positive to the -, and ground your switch with the ground terminal. hope that helps...yeah, and use the how-to's.

edit>>> ill show you at the meet if you come...

89accordboi
01-02-2003, 09:11 PM
mike... i did look at it, it was too confusing cuz i didnt know what a 30 a fuse or whatever is, but now that i looked at the fog lights instruction thing i know and shit... so i posted that before i looked at it. sry for inconveniencing you :(

ACCORD EX
01-03-2003, 02:59 AM
it's ok man ! i didn't know a thing about cars when i first came here ! so don't worry ! :)

MIKE

JaVaSa84
01-03-2003, 12:01 PM
Do Fog lights fuck up your battery cause that's what people tell me?

89accordboi
01-03-2003, 01:09 PM
actually i was talking to mikes89accordlx but thats ok

ACCORD EX
01-04-2003, 01:17 AM
hehe :)
JaVaSa84 : you won't install offroad fog lights ! normal fog light which are 55w are 10 A just like a radio !

MIKE

HondaManDan
01-05-2003, 10:49 PM
i've run every single electrical aftermarket item through that firewall hole... it's only an inch around.. and i believe it's behind or under the brake fluid container. I've got fog light switch, neon light switch, amp power cable, windshield washer wiring harness, and a couple other little ground wires running through there... thank god for that hole

HondaManDan
01-05-2003, 10:52 PM
hmm, whatever you do.. DO NOT get the remote control foglights they sell at walmart... you WILL break the remote control... the receiver WILL stop working and you also get sucky range with it unless you hook the antena to your stereo antena which THEN screws up FM reception.... just dont do it... after i broke my remote I ripped out the control box and just ran a hard wire with an inline fuse to them, grounded them and ran the wires the bat and an 97cent switch i bought at walmart. save the trouble and go get the hard wire ones... i personaly like the blue lenzed super white ones... they're brighter than my headlights :)

HondaManDan
01-05-2003, 11:01 PM
naw, fog lights wont fuck up your battery... you've got to wire them like this (+, Positive [Redwire]; -, Negative [Blackwire]):

-----Ground(bare metal on car frame)
lights Firewall
+++Battery++++Fuse(20w)++++I+++++I
Switch
I------Ground

I hope someone understands that...

88 Accord DX
01-05-2003, 11:01 PM
haha i was just about to post how cool i am cuz i have the ones with a remote. the reomte is cheap and im gonna install a switch tomorrow so i can have the remote AND the switch.

HondaManDan
01-05-2003, 11:04 PM
oye i hate it when it does that.....

.......-----Ground(bare metal on car frame)
.lights........................................... ..Firewall
.......+++Battery++++Fuse(20w)++++I+++++I
.................................................. ..................Switch
.................................................. .......................I------Ground

this will however fuck up your vision... but pay no mind to the periods

HondaManDan
01-05-2003, 11:05 PM
lol, sorry to diss the remote

88 Accord DX
01-05-2003, 11:38 PM
nah thats why im putting the switch in there. dont trust any remotes that are lighter than the key that starts the car.

89accordboi
01-07-2003, 02:09 PM
alright so what does it mean "ground"... my brother told me u have to hook it to some part of the frame of the car that conducts electricity and acts as if its connected to the negative part of the battery, but i dont know where to hook it. i know my brother or dad will help me do this but i want to know so when were takling i can sound like i know what im doing :tongue: thx

maka_RTH
01-07-2003, 02:27 PM
just get something that will tell you if there is a current(i used a voltmeter, but a test light dealy will work too). then put one side on the positive of the battery, then start touching the bolts you want to hook the ground up too. if you get a current(or the light lights up) then the bolt is grounded, and you can use that for your ground

maka_RTH
01-07-2003, 02:28 PM
oh yeah, any bolt actually touching the metal frame will be grounded, but if the bolt is rusterd, you might not get any current until you scrape some of the rust off...

ACCORD EX
01-08-2003, 04:23 AM
and paint can cause a problem too ! it works as an insulator !

MIKE