PDA

View Full Version : Tranny or Clutch?

Nospeed
01-02-2003, 02:01 PM
Ok, well i go out to warm up the car this morning for work, and after it starts, there is some sort of grinding sound coming from under the hood. it isnt all that bad...but it is still grinding. it kinda sounds like bad brake pad grinding.

so i go out when its all warmed up, and it has stopped grinding. ok, so i though it was a fluke or something. i press the brake, let the ebrake off and push the clutch in to go into reverse. as soon as i pushed in the clutch, it starts grinding but just for a second then stops. it is in neutral, and i let the clutch out again, it starts grinding again. so i put it in reverse and it is still grinding, so i take off...as soon as i pick up speed, it stops...or it is too quiet to hear. but it only grinds if the car is rolling in neutral with/without the clutch in. so it can be rolling and grind (which makes me think the tranny) but it also stops when i am parked and have the clutch in and in neutral (which makes me think the clutch)...anyone know what this sounds like??

Nospeed
01-02-2003, 02:57 PM
bump^^ need help!!

Nospeed
01-02-2003, 08:45 PM
yeah, still need help...bump^

oldsub86
01-02-2003, 09:24 PM
Sounds like clutch to me.

Jareds 89 LX-i
01-02-2003, 10:26 PM
Or possibly a throwout bearing. I'm not sure though. When you're stopped at stop lights and such (aka...not moving or shifting gears), do you hold the clutch pedal down or put it in N and release the clutch pedal?

ACCORD EX
01-03-2003, 03:03 AM
mine does that too until it's warmed up ! a through out bearing made a loud noise when it went bad on my car !
one day i readjusted the cable ( was too tight ) and it went away then it came back again ! so check out the free play in cable ( release arm ) should be 5 mm

MIKE

bobafett
01-03-2003, 12:18 PM
ambers car did that. put iin the clutch, and it makes a terrible racket.. mark (our super helper) said it was the throwout bearing rattling around... just like jared said... thats what i would think.

time to replace that clutch buddy!

Dutchboy
01-04-2003, 08:09 PM
also check to see if the flywheel cover that is under neath the car is not bent in toward the flywheel...

there is play in the crankshaft and when you hit the clutch it pushes the crank enough that if the sheild were bent it could rub...

i had this after experimenting with mine.....so i bent it back to the origanal curve.

BEn