PDA

View Full Version : Real PROJECTOR HEAD LAMP???

StUpiD8000
01-02-2003, 03:27 PM
Are these real headlights (http://www.carlightswholesale.com/cgi-bin/carlightswholesale/UN9901PHL?mv_session_id=R8xPNCfr&mv_pc=3&description=1989%20HONDA%20ACCORD%20PROJECTOR%20HE AD%20LAMP%2c%20STYLE%2c%207X6%20GLASS%20LENS) for are cars?

maka_RTH
01-02-2003, 05:25 PM
i guess they would be..., it looks like it would be an h4 conversoin..., there's no pic though. i'm pretty sure that the h6054's are 7x6

Mike's89AccordLX
01-02-2003, 05:31 PM
Yeah I have the APC diamond cut projector head lights. They work great. You can see much more with these compared to stock head lamps.

HondaBoy
01-02-2003, 10:24 PM
hey now. is this a true projector headlamp? i pretty sure what a projector light is. they are like the ones on some lexus and bmw. they have them some new cadillac, and the new saturn L-Series. its here.
http://www.saturn.com/l/
ok if u look at the headlight its realy the round thing resembling a movies projector lens, hence the name projector head light. now u get the point? now i know i have seen projector conversions for RX-7 and Miata, and also NSX with pop-ups.

tyne89
01-02-2003, 10:42 PM
yeah i know what type of lights your talkin about and theres no way youll find them for $60. ive never seen them for our cars mainly but ive seen them for 2nd gen integras and they cost like $400+ if i remember correctly. i was goin to get them for my stealth cause they came stock on the 98 3000gt's but those cost like $1200. i dont know why i didnt bother to ask. id say that no matter what they wont be cheap and would probaly has to be custom made or something like the caddy cts lights fitted to a 3g. either way itll be expensive in the end but really badass.

DBMaster
01-03-2003, 08:56 AM
I doubt it's a "real" projector lamp. The newer ones that you refer to are HID which have special ballasts and gas capsules in place of light bulbs. They operate on one "brightness" so they have no high beam.

There are HID conversion kits that we can buy for like $400, but they would probably not be like the ones on cars with engineered HID systems.

socal3rdgen
01-03-2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by DBMaster
I doubt it's a "real" projector lamp. The newer ones that you refer to are HID which have special ballasts and gas capsules in place of light bulbs. They operate on one "brightness" so they have no high beam.

There are HID conversion kits that we can buy for like $400, but they would probably not be like the ones on cars with engineered HID systems.

yeah they wont look like the ones on newer cars. mainly becuase of the roundness and reflector in newer cars. our cars have a square shape no matter what light you put in it. but im definetly going to get the HIDs. im just waiting till i buy them and put them in. everyone that flashes me cuz my low beams are too bright I.E. HID im going to flash my high beams and give thema surprise. and yes they do make high and low beam headlights. most are oly high or low but they do make the dual ones though.

dXsquared
01-03-2003, 10:36 AM
H4 bulbs are HI/LO bulbs... they are rated as 80/100 watt... or some other value... if you read the 9004, u will see that it is a one watt bulb only... they are for 4 headlight systems...

Travis

MoonScryer
01-03-2003, 11:07 AM
There is a sealed beam HID conversion that fits our cars, and is street legal. I found it, you can too :D

DBMaster
01-03-2003, 08:18 PM
Yeah, I know H4 (9003) bulbs have a high and low beam filament, but I had read that actual HID capsules operate at one brightness level. The HID conversions use aftermarket housings for H4 bulbs and replace the bulbs with capsules. I don't know how well they work v. factory designed lens/reflector setups for cars that come with HID systems.

If I wanted more light I would just get a good set of driving lights and add them to the H4 conversions I already got for less than $40. All together still a whole lot cheaper than HID.

That still leaves me money to pay the mortgage, van payment, kids' college funds, 401K, property taxes, medical bills, yada, yada, yada. I wish all I had to worry about was how to buy goodies for my old car!

Mike's89AccordLX
01-03-2003, 09:47 PM
Our bulbs are supposed to be 55/65w Even though I used to have 80/100w (they burnt out in 6 months) I have eurolite 55/65 ones now and they look the same as the ones I had before.

DBMaster
01-04-2003, 10:49 AM
According to the shop manual, the factory sealed beams are only 35 watts on low beam. When you buy new sealed beams you can get 55/65. Anyway, 80/100W bulbs do not offer extra light output proportional to their wattage.

Check this site out: http://www.susquehanna.com/susq/hella/bulb_help.htm

They last about half as long as 55/60 watt bulbs. I found I could not use them anyway. (My conversion light kit came with 90/100W bulbs) I could smell my wiring cooking even though the relays and fuses could take the current. Also, my dash clock would reset sporadically. The housings I got from Midnight Moose have glass lenses and a pattern similar to what came on old BMW's, not the very clear "diamond cut" ones that most of you are buying. The light pattern is very good and cuts off cleanly. Anyway, it's all a matter of personal preference, anyway. If the light works for you and doesn't fuck up your electrical system, go for it.