PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass box...

Nospeed
01-02-2003, 05:06 PM
so ok...anyone ever work with fiberglass resin?? im gonna start on a fiberglass box for my spare tire well, and the back part of my trunk this weekend...any pointers?? i got the basic idea...but anyone know any pointers? thanks!:wave:

Y3G
01-02-2003, 05:34 PM
i've done plenty of work with fiberglass(all my dash pieces are gelcoated) to do your trunk you need some MDF for bracing. stuff called speaker mesh or fish glass(its a strecty fabric that can be fiberglassed).strech it over your frame and resin.then apply the fiberglass mating (3-4 layers)over the resined fabric.and don't forget to keep the speaker holes clear so you can mount the subs without hiting the sub.next you need filler to smooth it all out. by the time you are done the shell is about a good 3/8'' or better thick

tools of the trade....
-jig saw
-rotozip(you dont realy need one but it makes it go alot faster!!)
-drill(with dirll bits and screwdriver heads)
-cheeze grater
-bondo spreaders
-stapler
-12 pack (manditory for any kind of automotive repair!!!)

Nospeed
01-02-2003, 05:41 PM
the fish glass...cant i just use felt, or cheese cloth?

now for the filler...why would i exactly need this? if i applied enough of the resin, and just sanded, wouldnt it do the trick also? as you can see, ive never worked with the shit...so im a noo-b when it comes to fiberglass.

anyway...i was thinking more of, some kind of wire mesh for the bottom of the trunk, also reinforcement, then line that with either cheesecloth or felt, coat with LOTS of resin...then sand and paint...is that how it goes? am i wrong? wish you were on aim yellow!!

edit>>>> oh and the wife is picking me up a drill/jigsaw/sander/electric screwdriver package from wallmart today for $30!! i think i got the tools!!

Mike's89AccordLX
01-02-2003, 05:41 PM
I don't know about you yellow3g but I need a 24pack for something like that. I have a 12 pack for cleaning my car. Once I tried using beer to clean my car. (poured a can on the roof) Didn't work as well as soap. I think I had a little more than a 12 pack that day. :) :beer:

Nospeed
01-02-2003, 05:55 PM
well...the beers is a no brainer...:lol. how-to anyone?? :D

Scorpion88LX
01-02-2003, 06:04 PM
i know more about epoxy for carbon fiber but it seems that yellow covered it.

Y3G
01-02-2003, 06:44 PM
cheese cloth could work as well but i woulden't try felt it strecthes too much and won't staple right

89AccordNate
01-02-2003, 08:09 PM
Fiberglass is an absolute bitch to work with. It looks so easy when you see the show cars all done up in it...but its not. Its really time consuming and is really a pain in the ass. It will make you high when you apply it and dustier then anything else when you sand it. I would recommend wearing a mask when you sand it. In order you make it smooth you are going to need to use some bondo or some other form of filler. Its sooooo hard to perfect. Its REALLY time consuming and the resin likes to eat your rubber gloves for dinner!

Nate.

Nospeed
01-02-2003, 08:42 PM
ok...so i would actually need to use some bondo to make it smooth. ok...i think i get it now...if i just use the resin, and not use the bondo...it would really look like the back of a bathtub, all fibery kinda? is that right? if so, i get it...hopefully i can get this done in the next few weeks then lol. thanks

Y3G
01-03-2003, 04:49 PM
as nate said fiberglass is a bitch to work with
-the fumes can get you messed up and hurt you badly
-the fiberglass it self can make you itchy as hell
-bondo when activated has about 5mins to work with then its crap
-fiber glass resin and painted surfaces don't mix
-mask all ways use a mask(the skull and cross bones arn't there just to stare at while high)

but if done right the box will look solid