PDA

View Full Version : 1986 accord lx-i saved from being crushed

bboye bakums
04-17-2015, 08:34 AM
I go to a technical center for auto mechanics and always saw an old accord sitting outside our building. it was in rough shape and i didnt know how long it had been sitting.I got word that it was going to be crushed and got the owners info from a few different people. Turns out it had been sitting for 5 years and it drove when he parked it there.About a week later i bought it from him for $500 and immediatly started working on it. I have had it for about two weeks now and i intend to get it running and back to its former glory. Needs almost the whole fuel system replaced(fuel injected) and some brake work

Dr_Snooz
04-17-2015, 09:32 PM
Awesome! Post some pics of it when you have a chance.

bboye bakums
04-17-2015, 10:17 PM
i will. Im new to forums and am still trying to figure everything out but I should have some up within a week

2ndTimeHondaOwner
04-18-2015, 10:36 AM
Nice car you have there. Once you have it up and running you'll love it even more. I've became quite addicted to my 86 and known by name at all the local junkyards.

bboye bakums
04-18-2015, 12:27 PM
I've dealt with Hondas before but nothing of this age. The junkyards around here don't carry many old car parts but I'm not letting that stop me. The thing that surprised me is when I got in it and hooked up a new battery everything worked. Headlights,mirrors,wipers,even the factory radio all worked like it was new.I turned the ignition and it turned over! I sprayed some carb cleaner in the intake (fuel injected) and the engine ran briefly. I dropped the tank the other day and the pump,tank, and sending unit are rusted beyond repair. My next move is to replace all that and then deal with some minor brake problems.

2ndTimeHondaOwner
04-18-2015, 09:32 PM
These cars aren't tanks yet with some love they keep going for a long time. my cars previous owner only changed the oil once in 2 1/2 years and the car don't leak or smoke at all. Hope you have as much fun with your 86 as I am with mine :cheers:

bboye bakums
04-19-2015, 07:25 PM
I am having a great time with it and it isn't even driving yet! Many people I tell about it don't see what I do. They say "you paid $500 for that?" I hold my head high and proudly say I did. Just working on the little things make me proud of it and what I am doing with it. I stitched the seat up today and it looks much better. Small steps until I can afford some parts for it.

bboye bakums
04-20-2015, 07:17 PM
can anyone help me. I am looking for a sending unit for my car and cant seem to find one anywhere. If someone knows a website it would be much appreciated. Manufacturer part number would be even better

2ndTimeHondaOwner
04-20-2015, 08:32 PM
Not sure if this matches your car or not. I don't know it you have the KA or the KL manual transmission, also if a 4 door is the same as a 2 door or not. Or if you need the Denso one or the NS one but it could be #24 from 1986 Honda Accord 4 Door LXI KL 5MT Fuel Tank - HondaPartsNow.com (http://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-list/1986-honda-accord-4dr_lxi-kl-5mt/fuel-tank.html) (hondapartsnow) is a great place to find OEM part numbers for our cars. Maybe someone with more 3G knowledge would know better then me though, I'm still kinda new to the 3G's myself. If you need more help it helps to list all the information of your car, helps me know what to search for.

bboye bakums
04-23-2015, 05:20 PM
Just a little update. I washed the five years of dirt off the car and it looks better than I thought it would. I will post more pictures when I get them on my computer. I have the fuel pump and the tank and sending unit are on theway. I hope to see it drive in the next couple of weeks

ryan427
04-24-2015, 01:56 PM
This is awesome. I love it when people find these cars in garages and whatnot where owners may have given up. So many times the repair is well within reach but the worst is suspected. Pics man, pics. And videos! Great to see you bringing it back to life. My neighbor's has over half a million miles and runs/drives excellent. Mine has 274k now and purrs along 80 miles per day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bboye bakums
04-27-2015, 08:02 PM
here are some more pics of the car all cleaned up69406941694269436944

HLW
04-29-2015, 09:34 PM
Looks good!

Tdurr
05-01-2015, 08:35 PM
That doesn't look bad at all!! Deff a nice score for 500!

ryan427
05-02-2015, 09:48 AM
It really is cool. Even you end up putting a few bucks in to it, seems worth it. Any rust concerns? If so, address those quickly.

bboye bakums
05-02-2015, 01:01 PM
not much as far as rust. The first thing I checked is the gas cap and it looked clean. Only rust is the metal piece between the hatch and bumper where the LX-I badging is has some rust but it doesn't bother me much because its just a small panel. I put it on the lift in our shop the other day to put the new tank in and the underside, aside from some exhaust rust is clean. I have all my parts in now so its a mad dash to get everything put together and get the car driving before school gets out because then I lose the shop and I cant leave it there over the summer. I would rater drive it away than have it towed. The only thing I can think about now is how good it will feel when it drives for the first time in years. I will put a video up for its first drive. should be a week or two

ryan427
05-02-2015, 02:12 PM
Godspeed sir.

ryan427
05-03-2015, 07:23 AM
One more thing to add... If you get it running and drive it for a bit only to have other things start to fail, don't get discouraged. Before I bought my Accord, the previous owner let it sit for about a year. I sprung oil leaks, power steering rack leak, oil pan leak, etc. You might not have any of those issues but if you do, be patient. I was given that advice and it has definitely been helpful. Many people give up and start thinking about selling it or taking it to the junkyard. Don't do that. The people here can help you with any issue on that Accord.

bboye bakums
05-03-2015, 12:02 PM
I expect things to go wrong with the car. That's the thing about it. its a project car. Something for me to tinker with and work on. I expect that most of the gaskets on it are dry rotted, they might not be but if they are I have the tools and knowledge to fix it

ryan427
05-03-2015, 03:51 PM
You're the man.

bboye bakums
05-10-2015, 10:51 PM
Well it doesn't look like I've met my deadline. I have a tow truck coming to pick up the car to bring it to my house tomorrow. I have the tank, pump, fuel filter and master cylinder hooked up but for some reason I'm not getting power to the pump because I cant hear it prime when I cut the ignition on. If someone could point me in the direction of where the fuel pump relay is that would be great.

87roach
05-12-2015, 04:43 PM
Hmm, make sure you check the fuel pump fuse, it could be that or the main relay. Is the fuel pump you got new or used? Did you bench test it? You could actually still test it by running power directly to it as well.

ryan427
05-13-2015, 02:55 PM
Well it doesn't look like I've met my deadline. I have a tow truck coming to pick up the car to bring it to my house tomorrow. I have the tank, pump, fuel filter and master cylinder hooked up but for some reason I'm not getting power to the pump because I cant hear it prime when I cut the ignition on. If someone could point me in the direction of where the fuel pump relay is that would be great.

Fuel pump relay is up under dash on driver side. It's up there, you might have to reach. Mine went bad once. Keep the faith!

2ndTimeHondaOwner
05-13-2015, 05:25 PM
When you look under the dash on the drivers side you'll see the fuse block. The fuel pump relay plugs in into the backside of the fuse block. It's light gray in color and has a metal cover over the end of it. Easy to get in and out, just put mine back in today.

HLW
05-13-2015, 08:27 PM
Only the carbed 3geez have the fuel pump relay on the back of the fuse box. The FI 3geez have a main relay that includes the fuel pump relay. That is mounted to a brace or something to the left of the fuse box. You might need to remove the nuts mounting the fuse box to pull it down to be able to reach the main relay.

2ndTimeHondaOwner
05-14-2015, 04:03 PM
Only the carbed 3geez have the fuel pump relay on the back of the fuse box. The FI 3geez have a main relay that includes the fuel pump relay. That is mounted to a brace or something to the left of the fuse box. You might need to remove the nuts mounting the fuse box to pull it down to be able to reach the main relay.
Good catch, I saw the (DX User) above his picture and opened my mouth when I should have opened my eyes. Or just read the title of the post better :uh:

Demon1024
05-15-2015, 12:07 AM
That's my baby! I got one same year just like that. Nice find. Now find an about to be crush 89 and you'll be good on parts :) If nothing else the wheel hubs on 88 89 are a little easier to find tires for being an inch bigger. MORE PICS!

bboye bakums
05-16-2015, 01:35 PM
Thank you all. I have a relay on the way and straight wired the fuel pump up in hopes that it would start only to see that there is a busted fuel line. Nothing I haven't dealt with before. A section of steel braided line will do nice and I will just flare it on there. HLW which fuse box? interior or engine bay?

2ndTimeHondaOwner
05-16-2015, 05:08 PM
That's my baby! I got one same year just like that. Nice find. Now find an about to be crush 89 and you'll be good on parts :) If nothing else the wheel hubs on 88 89 are a little easier to find tires for being an inch bigger. MORE PICS! the 88-89 wheel hubs are bigger? I thought just the rims where the inch bigger. My cord is a 86 and would be interested in swapping to the 88-89 if they're better.

HLW
05-17-2015, 09:10 PM
The interior under the dash fuse box.

HLW
05-17-2015, 09:12 PM
the 88-89 wheel hubs are bigger? I thought just the rims where the inch bigger. My cord is a 86 and would be interested in swapping to the 88-89 if they're better.
The hubs are the samw size. The 88-89 fi accords have a 14 inch rim instead of a 13 inch rim.

bboye bakums
05-18-2015, 07:26 PM
The accord ran today for the first time on years.Didnt leak,didnt miss,didnt smoke. Ran like it rolled off the showroom floor. It was a great feeling and I videoed it so I will be posting that. I found the relay and ordered it. I hope to drive it soon. Still need to bleed the brakes

bboye bakums
05-18-2015, 08:02 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-28J3S94Lw&feature=youtu.be

ryan427
05-19-2015, 08:17 AM
Congrats!

ryan427
05-19-2015, 04:32 PM
That high idle should unload as it warms up. Looked like it was starting to fall off. Also looked like it sprung to life pretty well. Now, this is where you post more videos of driving etc. That car has been sitting there for a while just begging to do its job. Little work horses, these cars.

bboye bakums
05-19-2015, 05:04 PM
I let it warm up fully and it idled really smooth. I'm so close to getting it driving but I am going to take a minute to work on my daily (2004 acura tsx) it needs a few things here and there but im still ready to see it move. Once I get the brakes working I can drive it but not far because dry rotted tires

ryan427
05-20-2015, 06:41 AM
You probably know this but once you start driving it regularly, those nonexistent oil leaks might start to surface. I think I mentioned mine previously in this thread. Once I started driving it 80 miles per day, the crank, cam, and oil pump seal all began to leak. The oil pan gasket was bad too. With your skills, you'll be able to knock all of that out if it even needs any of that. You might luck out. What a great car you've got there!

Fixedit
05-20-2015, 07:30 AM
A Gold 5 Speed Hatch for $500. What a wet dream!

bboye bakums
05-25-2015, 10:14 AM
the plan is to get it driving today. I finished up all the work on the tsx and now I just have a few things left to get it driving. I plan to post a video of its first drive

ryan427
05-29-2015, 02:56 PM
Suspense is killing us.

ryan427
06-10-2015, 05:59 PM
Dude, c'mon! Tell us good news!

bboye bakums
06-12-2015, 06:17 PM
sorry I fell off the face of the earth there for a minute I have been driving it around with no problem and love it. It still needs tires bad so im not going too far for fear of a blowout but I will post the driving video tonight. It feels good to be back on 3geez

bboye bakums
06-18-2015, 08:55 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=632GHUhUVuo sorry it took so long. I have tires on the way

Tdurr
06-18-2015, 09:52 PM
Yessss! Legit. I love what you have done man!

bboye bakums
06-18-2015, 10:46 PM
I have decided to sell the accord once I get tires on it. I want to sell it to 3geez members exclusively. Make me an offer if you would like. I am in the north Alabama area. I don't need to sell it but would like to see it passed on to someone who has the time to properly restore it. 237k,im the second owner.

yevangelis
06-19-2015, 07:01 PM
well shoot, what're ya askin fer it?

could you post a close up of the rust?

bboye bakums
06-19-2015, 09:12 PM
pm me I will

bboye bakums
06-22-2015, 02:30 AM
been doing a lot of work on the accord the past few days. The drum brakes were pretty much non existent so new shoes for the back and lots of bleeding. still not satisfied with the brakes though but every little thing helps. Fixed the drivers interior door which was just holding on for dear life. Going to do a valve cover gasket on it tomorrow because its leaking a little oil on the exhaust and the head causing it to smoke. Just trying to sort out all the things while waiting on my tires so when they get here its roadworthy

bboye bakums
06-23-2015, 09:34 PM
Got the tires on today. ive been driving it around and surprisingly it drives better than I thought. I went to put gas in it today and realized one of my vent lines came loose and gas was pouring all over the ground . should be an easy fix. its time to rack the miles up on this thing