PDA

View Full Version : Weird electrical issue- seat belt to brake pedal?

Fenris
04-18-2015, 06:44 PM
Since it's started warming up outside, my door open alarm has been going off while driving. I could hear the switch in the door clicking open and closed (the door stayed latched, that isn't the problem.)

I messed around with it a little, pulling the interior door trim panel off to get at it. I removed one of the switch assemblies on the seat belt mechanism and put it back on.

After closing everything up, and not solving the problem, I inadvertently created another. With the car in park and running (it's a 89 lx-i auto), I can't shift out of park. I have to use the key in the shift lock to put it in neutral, start the car, and not put it in park or it won't allow me to shift out of it.

Hitting the brake pedal causes the door open light on the dash to come on.

I don't know. Maybe something shorted when I was unplugging or plugging connectors (car was off, battery was still connected). I haven't gone through the FSM yet, but I was wondering if anyone has had this happen before.

Dr_Snooz
04-20-2015, 05:15 PM
Coupe, hatch or sedan?

Fenris
04-20-2015, 05:37 PM
Coupe.

The seat belt and door issue don't concern me as much as the shifter issue that I caused. I need to fix them, certainly, but I'm concerned about what I could have done to cause the shifter to lock, and the brake pedal to cause the door/seat belt light to come on.

The seat belt still works as it should, locking up if I hit the brakes hard. Going through the FSM, I'm a little confused, as it mentions power door locks. I have manual locks. Also, looking in the door, I couldn't find any wiring going to the latch. The wiring harness is connected to the two retractors, the light, and the window switches/motor. However, there HAS to be an electrical connection, as holding the door open, I can activate the latch, turning the the door open light off. Wiggling the latch around causes the light to flash on and off. So that's confusing to me, not finding any wires going to the latch.

But how the hell could unplugging and plugging the retractor switch cause the shifter lock issue???

EDIT: Not only that (no surprise here), the wiring legend doesn't match the car's wiring. It appears to be opposite of what the FSM has listed.

Oldblueaccord
04-20-2015, 10:42 PM
HELP!! My accord gets stuck in PARK!! - Honda-Tech (http://honda-tech.com/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/help-my-accord-gets-stuck-park-1291625)

My automatic shifter keeps getting stuck in park, - Honda-Tech (http://honda-tech.com/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/my-automatic-shifter-keeps-getting-stuck-park-1333383)

long shot but check your brake lights.

This happens on the 90's Accords but I cant really remember the fix other than I think it is something to do with the computer that controls the automatic transmission.

Fenris
04-21-2015, 03:40 PM
Thanks! That took care of my shifter problem. I'd blown the fuse. Got my son to check the brake lights, those were out.

I'll take care of the door latch problem when I get a bit more time this weekend.