PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leak

HondaBoy
01-02-2003, 10:45 PM
now i have an oil leak. since i didnt want to fuck up the rotors because of my bad brake pads, i havent drove my 3gee in about a month. i dont thing i started it more than 3 times. :mad: i took it to get it fixed and i smelled oil. it was on my exhaust manny. it did this in the summer when i didnt drive it for 2 1/2 months. im hoping that it was just because it sat for long time. my friends caddi did this when he didnt drive it for long time. i think its the cylinder head leakin, but this guy said i would probley be the distributor. he says that is common on my year of accord. either way he can fix that leak for damn cheap. he will replace the head gasket for under $150. im hoping its just simple and only because it hasnt been driven. but if its bad, i would rather pay this guy than take it to engine shop or dealership. u know when u have a small oil leak, dont drive it for long time, and then the oil has piled up, then it has been burnt off. neone with this problem? comments, or guidence?

Scotts88WhiteLX-i
01-02-2003, 11:32 PM
i got the same problem my cam cover gasket leaks down onto my exhaust manifold an then the oil burns off.....SO i need to get a cam cover gasket costs $20 bucks an comes with the three lil gaskets on top i think you have the same problem easy to fix...

ACCORD EX
01-03-2003, 03:07 AM
i think it's not the head gasket your friend meant ( 150 $ ) it's the valve cover gasket ( or the cam cover ) which is very easy to replace and you can adjust the valves too ! , if you can't find the gasket use gasket maker tube !

MIKE

Scotts88WhiteLX-i
01-03-2003, 03:14 AM
an i would get a new friend if he wanted to $150 to change a cam cover gasket that takes like 30 mintues an cost $20 to do it yourself...........:lol

HondaBoy
01-03-2003, 09:54 PM
ok i didnt tell u that i already changed the gasket on the valve cover. not called the cam cover. i know its not comming from there cuz its not even on that part. it down near the exhaust manny, right at that lil seam where it block and cylinder head meet. now it is also leakin right by the distributor leading me to believe thats where it leaks. the distributor. now its all burnt off and also it wasnt smoking. tomorrow i will check it again to see if it leaked more. if not then its just a little thing that its always had. i know its mos def not the valve cover. its not even oil on that.

Mike's89AccordLX
01-03-2003, 09:57 PM
I just changed that gasket yesterday when i put my newly painted valvecover on. Looks sweet by the way.

Scotts88WhiteLX-i
01-03-2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by HondaBoy
ok i didnt tell u that i already changed the gasket on the valve cover. not called the cam cover.
not called the cam cover?? WTF are you talking about its real name is an according to most mechanics an auto manuals its called "CAM COVER". I used to call it the valve cover an still do.... im not sayin that it isn't called the valve cover cause it is but its also called the cam cover............Sry had to point that out it makes you sound stupid when you say not called the cam cover.....

3G Jester
01-05-2003, 10:23 AM
dood...mines leaking tooo----smells like fuggin burning oil and the light doesnt even come on...probably not safe.....hmmm..thank god its off the road.

How much for a new gasket and where can we get em? are there like universal parts at auto zone ?? and how do i do it? i tried using search but aol sucks i and i kept geting a 404 error every time i clicked the link......help.....please...help :::drowns in oil:::: blub blub blub.....

Scotts88WhiteLX-i
01-05-2003, 04:33 PM
go to your local auto parts store.....costs around $20 it also comes with the 3 lilttle gaskets on top too..

3G Jester
01-06-2003, 06:40 AM
ok..so jsut ask them about it and they'l help me out? ...soudns good..

also...adjusting my valves..is that worth doing withuot having my cam regroundededed....heh.....explination plez?:confused:

anchovies
01-06-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by 3g Jester

also...adjusting my valves..is that worth doing withuot having my cam regroundededed....heh.....explination plez?:confused:

Yes. After some miles (I think 30k in the manual) you need to adjust the valves. It's part of a complete tune up. Definitely adjust it if you hear clicking/knocking sounds from the valves. It will bring the valves opening and closing back to specs.

3G Jester
01-06-2003, 11:49 AM
oo thankya