PDA

View Full Version : clutch chatter

mzabeefy
01-03-2003, 08:39 AM
hello, my clutch "chatters" whenever the pedal is up. When i push the pedal down, it stops. Hayne's manual says that it could be the release bearing? is this likely? and, is it bad to hold the clutch pedal down when i'm stopped, in order to prevent the chatter?

anchovies
01-03-2003, 02:24 PM
You probably need to resurface the flywheel. Did you change the clutch recently but did not resurface the flywheel? And it's bad to hold the clutch pedal down when not needed.

Greg
01-03-2003, 02:51 PM
Check your cable adjustment at the throwout arm on the transaxle bell housing. Wiggle the cable by the adjuster. You should have like .7in free play. Your clutch could be in constant light contact w/flywheel (slipping) if there is too little play.

RobT5580
01-03-2003, 03:42 PM
I have had a lot of problems with clutch chatter but only with non-honda clutches. My ACT clutch is the only clutch other than a OEM Honda one that doesnt chatter. This is if you changed you clutch recently other wise its probably something else.

Mike's89AccordLX
01-03-2003, 03:47 PM
:huh: I would buy a new clutch and that alluminum flywheel that they make for our cars. Should do it.

mzabeefy
01-03-2003, 04:23 PM
no, i did not change the clutch recently. it's been like this ever since i had the car(for a year and a couple of months), and probably longer than that. thanks everyone for the responses! i'll check the freeplay, and see about getting a new clutch and flywheel. how much longer will my clutch last if i keep it chattering like this?

ACCORD EX
01-04-2003, 01:23 AM
did you replace it with an oem one ? was it like that since you replaced it !

MIKE

diego_89accordlx
01-04-2003, 02:54 AM
I have the same problem, but it just started. i've had my car for a week now and the clutch started chattering tonight. Is this bad for my clutch/transmission if i don't fix it?

I have another question, can clutch slip be caused by a clutch pedal that needs adjustment? (the owners manual says something cryptic about the clutch appearing to slip due to the clutch pedal needing adjustment)

thanx

Mike's89AccordLX
01-04-2003, 05:29 AM
clutch slip can be caused by a flywheel that has rounded teeth, or your clutch is going out. Can you peel your tires when you pop your clutch? If you can and it smells but not like tires your clutch is going out. If you can't peel your tires your clutch is going out. And if you step on the gas and the tach fluctuates way up then comes back to the normal spot then your clutch is going out. I see that you live in Owatonna. I live in Mankato. Have any mods to your car yet? Going to mod it? Need some help and can't find it using the 3geez search then ask a member for assistance. :)

ACCORD EX
01-04-2003, 06:26 AM
propably a new clutch ! if you gonna change it chage the bearing too !

MIKE

RobT5580
01-04-2003, 08:20 AM
Mike's89AccordLX, What do you mean clutch slipage can be caused by having rounded teeth? The teeth on the flywheel are for the starter to engauge only during starting the car.

diego_89accordlx
01-04-2003, 07:02 PM
Thanx mikes89accord! No mods yet, but i plan to do some bolt ons (after i fix the clutch). You know, weber carbeurator and headers. So my clutch chatter is just another sign that i need a new clutch.

Jims 86LXI HB
01-04-2003, 08:31 PM
One of the more interesting threads I've seen in awhile. Nice work guys:wave: