PDA

View Full Version : 89 Accord(series of questions)

JaVaSa84
01-03-2003, 12:16 PM
I'm 18 and I had this car since I was 17 but now I am getting money so I can finally make some modifications to this mothafucka. Problem is that I don't really know shit about cars. All I know is that I want to make my car faster. What are some performance upgrades for the 1989 Accord LX-I hatchback and how much will all this shit cost me? And what about lowering? I thought about doing that shit. Let me know something doggie. Holla bacc

89accordboi
01-03-2003, 12:18 PM
it depends on how much money u have, if u have enough to do an engine swap u should do that, that will give u the most performance gains but u should get like a cold air intake from aem 92-95 civic and that should fit fine, get some dc headers if u can but they are kinda on backorder, u could try pacesetter but i dont know how good they are, and then u would want a 2.25" catback exhaust with ur choice of muffler, try www.nopionline.com for some performance parts. (dont get the pacesetter cat back exhaust system its crap)

JaVaSa84
01-03-2003, 12:26 PM
You said from a 92-95 Civic. Why these models? are they real fast or something?

Jims 86LXI HB
01-03-2003, 01:05 PM
For question's about lowering your car go to the Suspension/Wheels/Tires section on the board. I have created several FAQ posts at the top when you first go to that section.
But read this one first.

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11093

Jims 86LXI HB
01-03-2003, 01:21 PM
Ok, now about your quest for more power.

INTAKE:
www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8201
If your going to install a intake I would not waste your time with a short ram, true cold air intake's that draw air from the fender are worth the effort as they make more power than all short ram's period. We have a member here that makes them or you can try and make one yourself. Do a search using the search feature to find out more, well worth your effort.

HEADER:
Get yourself either a DC Sports header or the Pacesetter header.
The Dc Sport header will run $310-$350+ ($259 if modacar still has the header on clearance go to the "Market section" and look for post). Pacesetter will run $130-$150.
Which header is better is up to you, I felt that the Dc Sports was worth the extra $$. BTW!, I felt that the noticable increase in power I got from adding the header was worth every penny I paid for it and I highly recommend getting a header!

CAT-BACK:
Your best bet is to buy your favorite muffler and take it to a muffler shop and have them create 2.25" piping from the cat-back with your muffler. Some people insist that your make sure that the piping be "mandrel bent". If you want you can purchase the Pacesetter cat-back on nopi, cut off it's crappy muffer and add on your favorite muffler. That way you get "mandrel bend" piping.
The pacesetter muffler also make little to no power, so that another reason to cut their muffler off and replace it. I went with a dynomax super turbo muffler from www.summitracing.com . It was cheap and made decent power.

89accordboi
01-03-2003, 01:53 PM
i said 92-95 civic because it will fit in your car

JaVaSa84
01-03-2003, 03:43 PM
Jims, if I buy that Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler and weld it to the Pacesetter cat back do I need a tip or something???
Holla bacc doggie

dXsquared
01-03-2003, 03:49 PM
u do need a tip... they have them on summit racing, or get somthing local... it might be cheaper to just go down to a small local exhaust shop... they have the tools to make a pipe for you and just weld on ur muffler... it might be cheaper... find a little place... the big ones like Speedy and Mineke are rip offs...

Travis