PDA

View Full Version : is my ground messed up?

Coitis1
01-03-2003, 01:39 PM
i asked this before but didn't get a clear answer. alright, for some reason the 2 speakers on my drivers side dont work. the speakers themselves work, but its something wrong with the wiring, i'm assuming. i got a cd player for xmas and i'm having it installed in a couple of weeks, so i want to know by then so i can get the guy to fix it. i was thinking it could be the ground but honestly, i don't know anything about car systems. i've never hooked one up before. anyone got some ideas??? thanks for the help.

AccordEpicenter
01-03-2003, 02:27 PM
i think ur stock deck is messed up because the both speaker grounds go back to the h/u

Coitis1
01-03-2003, 04:37 PM
its not the stock deck. its an aftermarket tape/radio player that was in the car when i got it. the past owners had obviously known about it and disconnected the front passengers side speaker to help even things out.

shepherd79
01-03-2003, 05:38 PM
your problem is in the HU you have right now.
replace the HU and the problem should go away. i had the same problem when i got my first deck.

catalin
01-04-2003, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Coitis1
i asked this before but didn't get a clear answer. alright, for some reason the 2 speakers on my drivers side dont work. the speakers themselves work, but its something wrong with the wiring, i'm assuming. i got a cd player for xmas and i'm having it installed in a couple of weeks, so i want to know by then so i can get the guy to fix it. i was thinking it could be the ground but honestly, i don't know anything about car systems. i've never hooked one up before. anyone got some ideas??? thanks for the help.

It's always the ground isn't it?? ;) Just kidding...

Can you pull the deck out at all?? If you can unplug the harness from the stereo and use a small battery to test the speaker wires. Do not use anything larger than a 9volt battery or you will damamge the speakers. Left side speakers on the deck most likely will be;

front left: white (+)
white/black (-)
rear left: green(+)
green (-)

Connect the positive side of the battery to one of the positive wires and the negative side of the battery to the corresponding negative speaker wire. If you hear a popping sound from that speaker then you know it works and so does the wiring.

Hope that helps you.... or you could always ask your installer to give you an estimate first before he does the install for you.

Mike's89AccordLX
01-04-2003, 12:29 AM
I would say the problem is because you don't have a cd player.

dXsquared
01-04-2003, 12:35 AM
yah... and cuz u dont have SUBS... they always fix shit... just hear the BOOM and not the music... fixes everything... u know that CV joint that sounds like its gonna explode? well its ok now cuz u have 1000 watts of BOOM at ur ears!!

Travis

Mike's89AccordLX
01-04-2003, 12:52 AM
Thanks a lot man, I forgot about my CV joints b/c of the music. Now I better get them fixed that you reminded me.

88' Accord Ltd
01-04-2003, 11:51 AM
Yah I'll bet its the headunit. My 3gs deck didnt even turn on when i bought it!

Coitis1
01-05-2003, 07:39 PM
sweet, i've already have a new headunit, so if that is it i'm set to go. to throw some more info into the mix, when i had my radio on and was connecting one of the speakers that didnt work, if i jigge the wire that connects to the speaker i will hear a little blurp for a second. not like a blown speaker or wires, but a little sound, like the its trying to play music. whats that mean? shit, sorry if this sounds messed up. i'm in a hurry cuz i'm prarie doggin it. gotta go take a doo doo pie, lol.

catalin
01-05-2003, 07:56 PM
sweet, i've already have a new headunit, so if that is it i'm set to go. to throw some more info into the mix, when i had my radio on and was connecting one of the speakers that didnt work, if i jigge the wire that connects to the speaker i will hear a little blurp for a second. not like a blown speaker or wires, but a little sound, like the its trying to play music. whats that mean? shit, sorry if this sounds messed up. i'm in a hurry cuz i'm prarie doggin it. gotta go take a doo doo pie, lol.

Was the connection/terminal at the speaker, loose by chance? If it is loose and it touches the chassis of the speaker then it will cause the deck to stop playing.
Or the other possibly is that the speaker is 'seized' and all you're hearing is a little treble.

accordracerlx-i
01-06-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by 88' Accord Ltd
Yah I'll bet its the headunit. My 3gs deck didnt even turn on when i bought it!

did you check your fuses i had the same problem and i found out one of my fuses in the fuse box had been blown after replacing the fuse the headunit worked fine.

Coitis1
01-06-2003, 05:19 PM
no, i checked the speaker connections and they are fine. i'll check the fuse when have time, thanks.

catalin
01-06-2003, 08:07 PM
no, i checked the speaker connections and they are fine. i'll check the fuse when have time, thanks.

If the deck lights up, it won't be a fuse.