PDA

View Full Version : blown head gasket?

meohmy01
01-03-2003, 05:05 PM
im not sure if the head gasket is blown or not. there is oil around the head which seems to be consentrated under the distributor. there is blue smoke from the tail pipe which seems to go away once the car is warmed up. i haven't noticed wheather or not it is hesitating or not seeing as i do not drive it. it seems to run fairly smooth but will not idle it just stalls after the carb does its thing to warm up. what do you guys think?

shepherd79
01-03-2003, 05:35 PM
ok, oil under the distributor and around the head. most likely it is your valve cover gasket and the o-ring on distributor.
blue smoke when it is cold, and no smoke when it is hot. it is your valve guides. they are shut. i have the same problem.
you can change the gaskets easy, but valve guides will cost you a bundle. you will have to take the head off and take it to a mashine shop.

meohmy01
01-03-2003, 06:15 PM
well i know its not the valve cover gasket cause i replaced it a little while back when the car was still on the road and already checked just in case. as far as the o ring is concerned i did replace the distributer a little while back when the old one split in half. but i guess that could still be the problem. fuck the smoke cause its just not worth it and any ideas on the idle thing?

meohmy01
01-03-2003, 06:19 PM
are the distributor o rings readily availble. will they even know what im talking about if i ask for one at the counter.

carotman
01-03-2003, 06:28 PM
they cost like 50 cents and yes they will know what you're talking about. The part should even be in stock since all Hondas use the same O ring

meohmy01
01-03-2003, 06:30 PM
still no ideas about the bad idle? i was seriously considering replaceing the engine but i think this one should be able to handle at least another 30000 with a little work.