PDA

View Full Version : Carb vaccum advance observations...

1989accordaz
05-08-2015, 07:56 PM
I had been experiencing trouble starting from cold. Only in cold weather though, never when hot. I knew I had a bad advance so I replaced it, easy to to do. ( 70 dls @ autozone )

So after I replaced it, so far, car starts right up. No problems.

Now, I am not sure if there is a correlation, but my breaks used to be soft. When idling at start up, I would depress the brake pedal and RPMS would go up.

Now, after I replace the Advance, my brake pedal feels harder, better braking. I am not sure if vacuum runs on the same lines, but all of a sudden this happened? I am not complaining, is it just a coincidence?

Dr_Snooz
05-10-2015, 04:31 PM
Your brake booster check valve might be failing. Or the booster itself. I would be surprised to find a relation between the brakes and vacuum advance.

...Beyond their connection at the manifold, obviously. LOL

noidea24
09-28-2015, 03:56 AM
Were vacuum's still hooked up to vacuum advance, even though you knew it didn't work?

If so, the broke vacuum advance diaphragm was probably acting as a really slow vacuum leak.

By replacing it with an advance that now holds vacuum, you have no more leak! That would make your intake manifold pressure at idle a little higher, and that's what you're feeling in your brake peddle.