PDA

View Full Version : car cutting out and sputtering in low rpms and low gears

Stewzzz
05-14-2015, 04:41 PM
1987 accord ex-i
i have another thread going with this problem but it is getting long and the main thread title is a completely different problem (that is already fixed)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHLVfyonYXg

watch the video and let me know if you know whats up

I have changed the fuel filter, pump, and sending unit. ive also cleaned the iacv and also the throttle body
I have just used some seafoam but it didnt seem to help much

the car has rust in the gas tank and the exhaust has some leaks. I plan on cleaning the gas tank, and straight piping the ex-i. My auto teacher said to use muriatic acid and por-15 for the tank, but try seafoam first. the seafoam didnt help so im hoping i can get this figured out asap so i can use it to go to school and back.

Demon1024
05-15-2015, 12:00 AM
I had one that every time I turn left it would die... drove me crazy. Does it do it turning normally? Mine ended up being the coil. Before seeing the vid I was guessing maybe Tw sensor or ignition system problem. I'm leaving toward ignition on that one man. You can get a decent aftermarket coil at parts store for I think it was $30. Little wiring and it's in. Make sure your Tw sensor wires are intact and not corroded out at the plug that little sensor does alot. Just giving you a direction man. Hard to know with out getting something to test

Demon1024
05-15-2015, 12:01 AM
ah... now I read... turning and acceling... lol Change your coil man! I'd put money on it now. Forgive, but ex-i's are never carbed right? Def coil if so. Happy times!

Stewzzz
05-15-2015, 12:42 AM
ah... now I read... turning and acceling... lol Change your coil man! I'd put money on it now. Forgive, but ex-i's are never carbed right? Def coil if so. Happy times!

yes it is fuel injected. I picked up a fuel pump for 30$ so i dont see the ignition coil being any more than that at the junk yard. ive had my eyes on this clean match for a while so im going to go get that part and see how it is

and yes it happens a lot turning left, im going to put some gas in it tomorrow because its almost empty and see if that helps a little too. I planned to drop the tank and clean it so thats why i was holding back on filling er up.

thanks again for the tip will let u know in the future how it turns out

Stewzzz
05-15-2015, 12:45 AM
forgot to mention this car is the car i got my pump and sending unit from. fingers crossed they still have it there

Demon1024
05-15-2015, 01:15 AM
get a new one you'll be happy. If the used one is why it was scrapped you won't know... unless it was wrecked or something I guess. MORE VOLTS!

Stewzzz
05-15-2015, 10:17 AM
get a new one you'll be happy. If the used one is why it was scrapped you won't know... unless it was wrecked or something I guess. MORE VOLTS!
were you talking about the ignition coil or the distributor?. im going to try the junk yard one cause the car is in good condition and i have 30 days to take the part back and get my money back if its shit ill get a new one.

Stewzzz
05-15-2015, 10:23 AM
the car is only worth 500$ so realistically the car could have been rear ended and it was written off cause it cost more than 500$ to cost to fix it so it goes to junk yard to get parted out. I do take your thought into deep consideration and thank you for the tip

Stewzzz
05-15-2015, 03:55 PM
i got a tw sensor out of a 88 accord and its a different size so i have to buy a brand new one which i was inquired 75.05 from lordco im wondering how much napa would be. but as i was taking my old sensor off the black part snapped off because it was so shitty so i guess it was pooched. gonna be a little bit before i get this new part but hopefully it is what is causeing the problem because im done with this piece of shit car

Stewzzz
05-15-2015, 03:58 PM
53.64 at napa haha thats funny how places mark it up by 22 more dollars compared to other stores

Demon1024
05-16-2015, 12:01 AM
Been looking at getting a new Tw myself and autozone and o'reilly's both have them around 30 part number Su410 at autozone or 17-something .... hold on http://www.3geez.com/forum/efi-tech/108726-tw-sensor-clarification.html there

Demon1024
05-16-2015, 12:03 AM
Coil problem with turning death

Stewzzz
05-16-2015, 01:39 PM
ya im up in canada so its gonna be a little bit more most likely. i did give them the proper part number i did happen to see that post thank you.
wish i could get parts from the states shipped up for cheap.

i need to also clean my rusty gas tank i dont know if i should try to find a used gas tank or clean it because i cant find a brand new tank online anywhere and im sure it would cost a bunch. there is a plastic boot in the gas tank that the pump sits in and im worried POR-15 would effect that plastic some how

HLW
05-17-2015, 10:19 PM
You can get a new fuel tank from rockauto.com. Your local auto parts store should be able to order a new tank for you.

Stewzzz
05-18-2015, 11:57 AM
You can get a new fuel tank from rockauto.com. Your local auto parts store should be able to order a new tank for you.

thanks a bunch! i may get my tw sensor from there too, is this site reliable? 30$ cheaper on the sensor i need so im sceptical and dont want to waste my time

HLW
05-18-2015, 12:14 PM
thanks a bunch! i may get my tw sensor from there too, is this site reliable? 30$ cheaper on the sensor i need so im sceptical and dont want to waste my time
Sometimes there are issues with the wholesaler closeout items because they have been sitting around for a long time i other companies warehouses.

The only non wholesaler closeout item I had a problem with the manufacturer listed the part wrong so it was what I ordered but not what I needed. I didn't try to return it because it wasn't expensive but other members have had problems trying to return items.

Dr_Snooz
05-24-2015, 09:27 PM
I've had really good luck with Rock Auto. Avoid their wholesaler closeout items though. They tend to come from lots that fell off the dock or got driven over by the forklift.