PDA

View Full Version : stalls when shifting into drive

rigel
05-15-2015, 09:37 PM
a20a1, automatic, 07D carb with top end rebuilt

i've readjusted the timing and it reliably starts up and will idle consistently in the 1600rpm range. i know that's a little high, but it's the lowest ive been able to get it stable at. fan is turning on and everything.

when i put it into gear, it jerks a little bit and then the engine dies.

it also wont move when the engine is off and it's shifted into neutral.

where should i be looking? i could see the tranny being one possible issue. parking brake's been engaged for the last two months, maybe the cable is sticking or something (brake indicator light turns off when i undo it though). and i guess the idle could still be too high, or there could be some other carb issue.

im just not sure where to start...

Dr_Snooz
05-17-2015, 01:47 PM
Are you able to drive it at all? What you're giving isn't much to go on. If you were able to drive it around, I suspect there would be some additional runability issues that could give us more to work with.

If you can't drive the car, then download the manual (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vtyhl48z5uftmt1/AAA0VFYqWyfZ35Nvudl0xk_Oa?dl=0) and start checking all the little electric solenoids and actuators on the carb. Those like to poop out and cause all kinds of wonderful fun. You already have carb issues, so it's reasonable to get those fixed before moving on to other things.

Edit: check for vacuum leaks first.

rigel
05-18-2015, 01:01 PM
no, I haven't been able to drive it around. it idles stable and fine, and yesterday I installed a new (jy) muffler.

I checked for vac leaks sorta, I sprayed a bunch of carb cleaner around the engine bay and only got an appreciable rise in rpm when aiming it into the air box. I do hear a hissing though so there's that.

the book says you should hear/feel the solenoids clicking, and I don't hear that at all. I did bench test the tiny solenoid on the back of the carb and it was OK. I have two spares of each kind of solenoid now, again jy pulls, but the first one I installed also doesn't seem to work. I guess today is my day to wire up a test harness so I can bench test them, been avoiding that job

rigel
05-20-2015, 06:08 PM
vacuum leaks, yep. mis/disconnected lines.

ITS ALIVE!!!!

shifting is ok i guess, drove it about 15 miles today, but coming home there was a loud grinding/clunking from the front driver side wheel when i would let off the gas. there was a little bit of steering shimmy as well. was going to jack it up and check things out tomorrow. notably, it was after it had been moving for a while that it happened. i dont have everything routed/mounted as stock, so i need to clean that up but it sounded more like a wheel bearing or something.

i mean, it's a bucket, but it's a bucket that can move under its own power. so that's nice.

i can't start it without popping the hood and using a trigger switch to hotwire the starter solenoid. the battery light is stuck on even though i have plenty of juice. alternator wiring issue?

the transmission feels mostly ok but i may have it overfilled. i need to check that again after it's warmed up.

saw a reman/rebuilt A/T at the yard, may pull it just to have a spare when it's half-off weekend...

i need to do the brakes too, maybe rebuild the master cylinder...