PDA

View Full Version : 1988 Honda Accord w/o Air Conditioning

asilhouettelie
05-17-2015, 11:34 AM
Hey guys, first post here. So summer is getting close and I'm gearing up to install a/c into my 88 accord dx hatch that didn't come factory with it. I have a good chunk of money saved for this project so I'm just thinking of the best route to go.

I saw something before about ackits.com which from what I've read has complete kits for classic cars and all that. Anyone have any experience with them? Or can anyone recommend anyone else?

Also if I go to a yard and start tracking down parts, is there anything i need for an idle boost since its carb'd? or anything else special other than compressor, evaporator, wiring harness and relays, etc...?

Thanks!

gyates93
05-25-2015, 09:40 PM
I looked into doing this job last summer since I had purchased a parts car that had a complete working AC system and was also carbed. In the end I decided it would just be too much work, probably would have required me to take the car off the road for 2 weeks or more, which is more than I could afford since it is my daily driver.

Yes there is an AC idle booster. If you're up to the job I believe there are instructions on this site somewhere. Find one with working AC to use as a donor. Make sure to get the denso compressor, it's much beefier and performs better with R134A. You need all of the Denso lines and fittings as well, they are different than the other type. It's just as well to get a new condensor, evaporator and expansion valve. Also, you can get the gasket kit for the entire system. Might as well do it right the first time to avoid doing it twice. Have it charged by a professional, and you'll be nice and frosty.