PDA

View Full Version : Valve cover leaks.

Mike's89AccordLX
01-04-2003, 08:29 PM
This is the thing I saw a Valve cover at the junk yards that I liked. It was off like an 87 LX. I repainted it and it looks sweet. I bought a gasket and grommets and it leaks. I thought I had it pretty tight. I tightend it up some more. DXHATCHBACK told me about this gasket silicone I could put on. Now what I'm wondering is if that valve cover is ok for my 89 LX? I just figured it was off a carbed 3G, that I should be fine using it.

Scotts88WhiteLX-i
01-05-2003, 02:11 AM
same size same shape...it should be ok

Mike's89AccordLX
01-05-2003, 02:33 AM
Ok I wasn't sure if they were the exact same size. I just put it on without checking. I'll get that silicone just to be safe. Can you use the gasket silicone for like straight pipes? Just to make sure it won't leak.

carotman
01-05-2003, 05:28 AM
they have to be tightened to 10 Nm

the valve cover is made of steel and it's common for them to leak because they are bend, if nothing works, get a LX-i or Prelude cover

Mike's89AccordLX
01-05-2003, 05:42 AM
hopefully it isn't bent. I'll get that silicone and seal it up good. I put the gasket silicone between the gasket and head right?

doug
01-05-2003, 06:30 AM
look for RTV sealant, it withstands the temps, you can use that stuff to seal exhaust flanges.

Mike's89AccordLX
01-05-2003, 06:31 AM
Thanks for the info.

Einstein
01-05-2003, 07:51 AM
The proper stuff to use is "Hondabond" which you can get at your dealer. It's a liquid gasket type of product, I have a tube that has lasted 12 years and running (hasn't hardened).

Before you put your valve cover back on the car, follow these steps:

(1) Clean a used valve cover gasket with dishwashing soap and dry completely.

(2) Using brake cleaner on a corner of a rag, clean the valve cover gasket channel and the gasket mating surface on the head. They should be dry of oil, which the brake cleaner will do.

(3) Put the valve cover gasket in the cover gasket channel.

(4) Put a thin coat of Hondabond in the following places:

A: Anywhere the valve cover gasket makes a sharp turn to go around the camshaft. 4 places on a SOHC engine.

B: Anywhere you noticed a leak previously, there may also be evidence on the head where the gasket contacts. On my Accord, this was at the middle of the run on the exhaust side.

(5) Without too much delay (Hondabond is activated into curing by exposure to air) put the valve cover on the head.

(6) Follow the torque sequence in the Helm manual (or ask a friend to give it to you)

(7) Wait 20 minutes for the Hondabond to cure before filling with oil and driving.

ACCORD EX
01-06-2003, 12:47 AM
yes use a gasket maker ! i didn't use a gasket at all ( i couldn't find it around here so i used gasket maker no problem .
gasket maker a s special sillicone the stands very high tempretures !

MIKE

Project-LXi
01-06-2003, 06:45 PM
My valve cover used to leak too. When I took it off to repaint it, I replaced all the grommets and then covered anywhere that could possibly leak with a healthy coat of silicone glue (dont remember specific brand etc) It now looks nice and I havent had any problems with leaks.

Mike's89AccordLX
01-07-2003, 07:33 AM
I was told just to tighten the valve cover up so it feels right. Not too tight but not loose. I tightend it up some more and it doesn't leak now but I think I will still get the hondabond stuff.

Einstein
01-07-2003, 09:20 AM
Hondabond is also supposed to be used on the engine block coolant drain bolt at reinstall.

I also just found out that hondabond helps to seal a leaky oil pan bolt until you can get a new oversized bolt or pan. :lol

Mike's89AccordLX
01-17-2003, 01:03 PM
I got an oversized bolt and it still drips a little bit but this guy said it might b/c of the synthetic oil I use. I will try that with the drain plug.