PDA

View Full Version : Wanting new car...

HondaManDan
01-04-2003, 11:24 PM
I've had my 88 Lx for a year now. It's stock, 4 door, and carbed. I love her to death. She's great in the snow.. quick when she's warm, and i've driven that car in ways i would shit myself in other vehicles. It's nimble at high speed, takes corners well, and is engineered for a pretty good ride. However, I like the cars out there with the flashy body kits, the souped up engines, and the bolt on factory position goodies that companies make their millions off of. I want that. SO... my new fassinations and near obsessions are the 94' Toyota MR2 T-top Turbo, and this 97' Eclipse Gs-T forsale in my town. The toyotas run for about 5-7k and the Eclipse is going for about 7.5k. The thing is I'm torn between these two vehicles. Both have about 100,000k on them. Both have aftermarket support, both are 5speeds, both Turbo, Eclipse has sunroof, Toyota has T-Tops (much cooler if you ask me), the Toyota has a Mid Engine transaxle and is rear wheel drive (sucky in the snow), and the Mitsu. has a Transaxle front/front drivetrain (good in snow). Both can be tweaked out the yinyang and have good bases to build a pretty nice car off of.. PLUS the toyota has flip ups... just like the Accord :)... The thing is, I really like the Eclipse, it's front wheel drive and fairly comparably set up to the accords (where everything's placed), yet, Everyone is getting them because of the F&F movie. The toyota, having a unique body style, is rarly seen out driving around, it has no backseat, a trunk the size of HALF a body (no good for me) and has the MID engine that would suck in snowy weather.... BUT, it's unique body style reminds me of a mixed RX-7 with a NSX... yet smaller... But, I dont know.
If I can get any imput or thoughts on these two cars and my Ideas (even though it is my dime and you people could care less) I'd like to know.
Thanks a lot!

Mike's89AccordLX
01-04-2003, 11:29 PM
Dude your just plan out lazy and you dont diserve a 3G if thats your attitude. have you ever heard of taking pride in custom work. You like everything easy. Why don't you just buy a car that is already tricked out. You know my car may not be the fastest or coolest car out there but I have done pretty much all the work to her to make it look nice and have some nice speed. Go buy a civic you wuss. And you know they do make kits for our cars!!!!

dXsquared
01-04-2003, 11:30 PM
if you get either, u cant drive them in the snow... they will rot! a sweet car like that isnt for all year round, thats why they made them ear wheel drive...!

Travis

Jims 86LXI HB
01-04-2003, 11:45 PM
No matter what amount of parts you through on either one, the MR2 is the more sporting car between the 2. Drive one and you'll understand. If you regularly get a kick out of sprited driving the MR2 will be a much funner car, no other way to put it. And it's not just that the car is RWD. However, I'll make a argument that the MR2 would not make a very good snow car, wouldn't take much to oversteer yourself off the road. Eclipse would be much safer in that respect.

I've driven the MR2 before and the way the chassis felt is the standard I strive for when trying to tune any car I own. It had a willingness to be driven that I've never found in another car.

HondaManDan
01-05-2003, 12:33 AM
Thanks a lot Jim. That's inspiring :).
To you other guys, I've done all of the work on my car so far. It's just that my car, the accord, would get very VERY expensive to keep customizing different things and fabricating new parts. Granted I love doing it, I built the bed to my dad's 88 GMC sierra.. fully ribbed 18gauge steel I beams and angleiron, with a fit cab screen and removable ladder rack, painted black and finished with pressure treated pine painted to match the truck... god that was a fun project lol. HOWEVER, to my point, I cant do this with my car... I can, but I don't have the resources or the money to be fabricating fiberglass, carbonfiber, or most thin sheet metal dodads that would set the car off... i bet within about one months time, 10,000, and the Monster Garage with Jessie James as my right hand man, I could turn my honda into something that looks like an early modle ferrari... with the gullwing doors... but have I got that? No. The most I've done is an Accel coil, plug wires, major exhaust work (only because i can weld) and I've installed every single replacement part including, all four shocks, all four springs, all four upper ball joints, all new brake pads, front rotors, rear bearings, steering fluid cooler, heater hoses, radiator hoses, belts, filters... In under a year mind you.. and I got the car for Free. So, I've already spent around 2500 bucks on it and it just turned 100k... granted it's at it's half life. But i just want a peppy, fast, sporty car that I can trick out.
MR2 here I come.

Inabj2
01-05-2003, 12:45 AM
Get mr2, do not rice it out. please and do not sell the 3gee, as its your winter car.

Remember Image is noting. performance is everything.

Elijah
01-05-2003, 12:58 AM
With the money ur going to spend on a new car think what you could to ur 3g.

Mike's89AccordLX
01-05-2003, 01:29 AM
You think that is good for under a year. Go to the members of the year thread and read what I have moded to my car. That's all in about 6 month time period. I'm not putting your work down but that is nothing compared to miy work and money spent.

KaMiKaZeE
01-05-2003, 01:39 AM
The eclipses and their counterparts, the eagle talons, are plagued by crank walk. It takes them all eventually I think. My bro has 1 and it now sits awaiting another engine. He used to love the car. Now HE wants a turbo MR2. Just a thought.

Jims 86LXI HB
01-05-2003, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by Mike's89AccordLX
Dude your just plan out lazy and you dont diserve a 3G if thats your attitude. have you ever heard of taking pride in custom work. You like everything easy. Why don't you just buy a car that is already tricked out. You know my car may not be the fastest or coolest car out there but I have done pretty much all the work to her to make it look nice and have some nice speed. Go buy a civic you wuss. And you know they do make kits for our cars!!!!

What the hell is that all about. :huh:

What next, "the real man mod test"

It's his money, his dreams, let the man have them.:werd:

Mike's89AccordLX
01-05-2003, 02:54 AM
I was so sick of him saying that I want to get a good bodykit and stuff (you can get them for a 3G) And about the post about my mods. He was saying that he did those mods and made himself out to be like the "king of cars" I was just putting in my $0.02 about how other people are more dedicated to their 3G or car. And frankly I didn't read his entire first post because it was pretty much dissing 3G cars because they aren't easy to make fast. And it made him sound incredibly lazy. IMO

Cobraman15
01-05-2003, 07:18 PM
if you have to go with the mr2

Neuspeed87lx
01-05-2003, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Mike's89AccordLX

:rolleyes: geez man lay off ... he just wants a new car... were not gona keep our 3geez forever...how does his post bash the 3g at all ...did you read any of it ?

"I love her to death. She's great in the snow.. quick when she's warm, and i've driven that car in ways i would shit myself in other vehicles. It's nimble at high speed, takes corners well, and is engineered for a pretty good ride"

HondaManDan
01-05-2003, 08:16 PM
well i'd bet we'd keep our threeg's forever if we could... the thing is is that it's not... is this just my car or does everybody elses have that rubber sealant coating the underside??? well.. FYI... water has gotten under that rubber sealant and is causing rust... a lot more that I origionaly thought... granted I do live in New England... and the car has been driven in 15 years of snow... normaly doing body work and panel replacing wouldnt be that big a deal, but with that rubber shit.. woah.. more trouble than it's worth in my opinion... sorry if this pisses you guys off. It's not my intention, only my opinion.. basically all i'm saying is is that I can do everything mechanical and cosmetic that I can to that car but pretty soon it's just going to shit the bed. simple as that. Im just trying to keep her alive as long as i can. she's got a whole new suspension to ride on now.... all i can do is fix the problems as they come along and when all of the problems cease... my car will either be dead or better than factory condition for a while and the body will rot off of the chassis.

as I see it she's got 4 to 5 years... tops.. she'll last me through college.

HondaManDan
01-05-2003, 08:19 PM
wow.. the first half of that sounded really incoherent.. allow me to clarify...

Our cars wont last forever (unfortunately)

The rubber shit is on the bottom of our cars coating the underside... it's everywhere under mine... it's about an eighth to a quarter inch thick and water has found it's way between the rubber and the steel and is causing rust.

maka_RTH
01-05-2003, 08:39 PM
until i saw the part about the rust i was gonna say take the money it'd take to buy one of those other cars and put a B18 or something in your 3g ;) but between the two cars i'd take an MR2, or if you can get a GS-X Eclipse, that'd be cool too. but i think mid-engines are cool.

HondaManDan
01-05-2003, 09:24 PM
I'll have to drive one... lol.

HondaManDan
01-05-2003, 10:04 PM
i found this at MoviecarZ.com... this is what i'd do with an MR2... no ricy body kits... just pure "muscle" looks.
http://www.moviecarz.com/profile_detailed.asp?vid=287

lets see if the pix'll work....
http://www.moviecarz.com/popup.asp?path=/images/automobile/275/287/full/0.jpg

HondaManDan
01-05-2003, 10:05 PM
nope

HondaManDan
01-05-2003, 10:05 PM
But I like it with the wide tires and body

HondaManDan
01-05-2003, 10:11 PM
I would personally like it better with this kind of bumper... however it then starts to get that ricy feel....
http://www.nopionline.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=dsplargepic&vpic=L0851311.jpg

http://www.nopionline.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=dsplargepic&vpic=L0851311.jpg

HondaManDan
01-06-2003, 12:13 PM
damn i wish i could post pics

blazin3gen
01-06-2003, 01:31 PM
you could just add the and the url in the middle

http://164.109.57.200/images/L0851311.jpg

pearldrop
01-06-2003, 04:23 PM
Go with the MR2 all the way.

That one above is horrible.

http://www.bryanf.com/MR2/sey2k/beast.jpg

johndej
01-06-2003, 05:33 PM
if you get the MR2, look on the sport compact car web sight about how to mod it right. i get their mag and they had a nice artical about someones sweet as mr2, and since they post all of the articals over on the web sight, yo ucan prob find it there still.

johndej
01-06-2003, 06:18 PM
here are the links to the sport compact car "project MR2"

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/projectcars/0203scc_projmr2s/

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/projectcars/0208scc_mr2s/

marc49
01-06-2003, 09:57 PM
guess what guys I too will be getting a new car also. well actually in a year and a half, but still.. I am really leaning towards the Mazda6, I just love how that car looks..

BUT, have no fear, the 3g is staying. Part of the reason I want another car is so I can actually do things to my accord and not worry if it's not drivable by the end of the weekend. :)

I will have my daily vehicle in the Mazda6 and my "project accord" :), but like I said, I have to wait a year and a half.

once again DAMN THIS WEDDING and all that it's going to cost.. LOL

MrBen
01-10-2003, 09:31 AM
I like mY Accord, but I'm sorry, modding my car to death vs buying a new better car... I'll get the new car. Like a CRX.

God I want a CRX.

HondaManDan
01-10-2003, 10:36 PM
CRX's are nice... But i love the MR2, it's just so different. I was also thinking about buying a 1998 Accord V6 2door coupe. A guy's got one on Ebay TOTALY modded out... not ricy, except for a rediculous wing... however, he's selling it for 5k, and the car's got 70k on it... not too shabby... it's got 10spoke 18's on it... dual G-Reddy exhaust all the way through.. including DC headders, Aftermarket HFP (Honda Factory Performance) body kit (called an Aero Kit). But it's nice... the only thing is that, of course... it's an Auto. Damnd if I do, damed if i dont i guess. lol.

iloveJDMblackrims69
01-12-2003, 04:33 PM
list your advantages and diadvantages on boith cars and see what has more and less of....nice choices

iloveJDMblackrims69
01-12-2003, 04:35 PM
one more thing..... have you guys seen that 92 Mr2 in sport compact car? it has like 242 horsepower or somethin like that and has carbon fiber all over... its badass

johndej
01-12-2003, 05:58 PM
yeah, HondaManDan you should check that out, mr2s have hella patential

HondaManDan
01-12-2003, 06:36 PM
I was watching Sport Compact Tunerz.. whatever.. it's a TV show on TNN. They had a new MR2 on there that was so sweet... yanno those 1999-2000 MR2's (though they may look a little bug-eyed) have a lot of potential too.
as for Pro's and Con's

MR2
Pro's:
Fast
Good looking
Unique
Aftermarket support
Strong engine
Toyota=bulletproof
MID engine
Sporty Handling
Turbo comes Stock
T-Tops
Flip ups :)

Con's:
Bad Snow Car
2 Seater
No trunk room

Eclipse Gs-T
Pro's:
Fast
Sporty
Aftermarket Support
Stock Turbo
Back seat
Good trunk
Good snow car
Good power

Con's:
Everyone has them
They rot easily (or so i hear)

My Car
Pro's
Fun
Smooth
Sleak
Flip Ups
Four doors
HUGE trunk space
Excelent Snow car
All new suspension
All new tires
All around nice
only 100k

Con's:
Slim Aftermarket
Rust
Blown Clutch Pack
Automatic
100k lol

So I'm thinking the MR2 has the best all around.. You?

87AccordsterLx
01-12-2003, 06:41 PM
just hope this doesnt happen.... :D

http://showcase.netins.net/web/packratsden/mr2crash.mpg

Inabj2
01-13-2003, 03:59 PM
Mr2s can achive 530 whp. Potential. In a small car.

Inabj2
01-13-2003, 03:59 PM
Thats way over 600 crank hp.