PDA

View Full Version : Does removing evaporator give better airflow?

Einstein
01-05-2003, 08:10 AM
(I'd love to remove my entire A/C, and it will probably happen over time. The compressor will come off when the timing belt is replaced)

Has anyone removed the evaporator core from the HVAC under the dash? Did your airflow improve?

I think that this would be the FIRST thing I do. since now the A/C doesn't do anything for the air coming in, I could at least get as much airflow as possible (for a given fan setting) to help me stay cool in the summer.

What are the chances the evaporator is full of dried up mold and dirt?

mzabeefy
01-05-2003, 08:32 AM
i removed mine temporarily.... i put it back as soon as i found out that i had no air blowing at all. i guess it serves as a link between the blower thing and the vents. you could put a tube of some sort as replacement, i suppose if you wanted better air flow, but i don't know about that. my evaporator was full of mold, dirt, leaves and i've heard of others being the same way, so the chances that yours is full of that is likely.

Einstein
01-05-2003, 10:11 AM
I'm talking about removing the whole assembly, removing the metal finned core, plugging the hose holes with grommets, and reinstalling the empty plastic frame. Mzabeefy, Did you put back the empty frame?

A20A1
01-05-2003, 12:40 PM
I always thought the fan and a/c were seperate... there is a plastis flap that moves around between the centerconsole and the a/c... or It may have been for the heater instead... I've reomved everything including the dash :D... I just never put it back together.

Mike's89AccordLX
01-05-2003, 12:46 PM
Yep and it's gutted to race :)

mzabeefy
01-05-2003, 02:43 PM
oh, sorry, no i just put the whole thing back. :D hmm.. one day i'll try to take the core out

Einstein
01-05-2003, 06:57 PM
I have the helms. Looks like air is constantly pumped through the evaporator (FAN->EVAP->HEATER).

What I'd like to do is put the right size rectangular micron filter in the space once occupied by the evaporator, and seal it up around the edges so all the air is filtered, just like my other cars. I have allergies, and this would be a great addition!