PDA

View Full Version : New rotors=Should i hear them?

Chrome_thangs
01-05-2003, 02:41 PM
O.k. i just installed new rotors on my car. They stopped the car from violently shaking when i braked at high speeds, but now i can hear the right one stopping. By this i mean it makes a low winding down sort of sound when i stop, and i noticed smoking. It didn't do this before i changed the rotors, would could be the problem?

Chrome_thangs
01-07-2003, 02:42 PM
hello anyone there?

pearldrop
01-07-2003, 02:59 PM
I know that some aftermarket rotors especially performance ones need to be turned (machined) before you use them. You may need to take them in and get it done. I know I have never needed to machine mine when I replace them but I just use factory replacements.

Jims 86LXI HB
01-07-2003, 07:48 PM
Are your new rotors just stock oem unit's or are they drilled or sloted or both?

Chrome_thangs
01-07-2003, 08:17 PM
I bought them at the local Advance Auto. They're are just normal oem replacements. I thought it was the caliper so i got a new caliper and put it on and it still did it, but only on the passenger side. I put the old rotor back on and the sound has stopped. Could it have something to do with me seriously needing a front end alignment?

Chrome_thangs
02-03-2003, 12:33 AM
Hello!!!

Jims 86LXI HB
02-03-2003, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by Chrome_thangs
Hello!!!

Guess that means your still hearing things. :D

How many miles do your have on the new rotors?

If you've got at least 500 miles on them, have you done a stopping test with them yet? I'd like to know if the side you hear noise from will lock up first?

AccordEpicenter
02-03-2003, 11:38 AM
mine were lousy until at least 500 miles, so go easy on em until then (dont smoke em or try to lock em up if you can avoid it)

anchovies
02-03-2003, 12:51 PM
Did you check the dust shield? Not sure about your rotors, but it is the right one for that side? The smoke is probably liquid wrench if you used that, but should be gone by now.

markmdz89hatch
02-03-2003, 02:07 PM
did you use a brake cleaner on the rotors to get that shitty film off 'em that they normally use on the rotors you get from autozone? If you didn't, that's worth a shot. Sometimes it also helps to hit the rotor not only with Brake-kleen, but also a little steel wool to help get that nasty crap off. I'm guessing the smoke is due to the same thing. Does it smell like shit too? Kinda like burt plastic? If that's the case, clean those rotors up nice and all that mystery shit should go away.