PDA

View Full Version : cat = bolt on?

87AccordsterLx
01-05-2003, 04:26 PM
just making sure here... is our cat bolted on only? I have a custom cat-back piping done but I was just curious if its purely bolted on and there are no welds. Im going to stick a pipe through it soon and take out the middle...

maka_RTH
01-05-2003, 04:49 PM
i'm pretty sure that it's only bolted on stock, but the bolts are pretty tight(rust and crap). this is only from what i've heard, don't take my word for it(i've looked at it too, but haven't tried doing anything with it...)

Jims 86LXI HB
01-05-2003, 05:54 PM
Yes I can tell you that the stock cat is bolted on. When I parted out my car and went to sell the exhaust system I went a head and removed the cat and cat-back. That way it was allot easier for me to get the cat off. Yeah rusted on bolt fun:lol

HondaManDan
01-05-2003, 11:08 PM
it's bolted on... i've had my exhaust off of my car about 5 times... lol, the stock cat is a bitch to remove though because it's so damned rusted... you'll need to cut bolts and probably cut off the old brackets and weld on new ones so you can just bolt on a new one... but, considering there is no real point to making your cat removable (because it is technically supposed to last the life of the car) i'd just go and weld it on...

anchovies
01-05-2003, 11:30 PM
Depends if the mechanic welded your cat back pipe to your cat. Just get yourself dirty and check it out.

Bullfrog
01-06-2003, 08:55 AM
i had to replace my flex pipe and the extention to the back of the car so i had to remove my cat...to remove the bolts on the cat cut the bolts of and use a hotwrench to bang out the bolts....thats the easyest way to rememve them...be very careful not to damage the flanges to the cat

DBMaster
01-06-2003, 12:07 PM
I wonder why so many out there want to remove or destroy the converter. Call me a liberal, but I think a lot of people here made it pretty clear that you would not notice a performance gain and it would make the exhaust sound crappy.

These cats flow pretty well and they do help keep us all from getting nasty diseases from breathing foul air. It's a shame that nobody thinks past today.

87AccordsterLx
01-06-2003, 12:14 PM
Well I have never heard anything about it making your car sound bad nor have I heard that it doenst add "any" hp at all. Im not looking to get 3 or 4 HP out of this I just want it to flow better. Oh and after 15 years I really wonder how "well" it flows.....

87AccordsterLx
01-06-2003, 12:16 PM
also its clear that no one has done this because if so then where are all of the posts about people acutally gutting it out and not liking the way it sounds.... damn environmentalist ...

DBMaster
01-06-2003, 01:53 PM
There have been plenty of posts about people doing this. And I don't think it is radical environmentalism to want to limit one's own contribution to the problem, especially when it is no trouble at all as the car came with the device.

I guess it is not as bad as driving a Suburban or Excursion, but try to get it inspected legally around here like that without a converter.

That's just the kind of attitude that makes the world so pissed at us. We don't care about anyone but ourselves and are natural resource gluttons. When it bites us in the ass we'll see about it.

87AccordsterLx
01-06-2003, 05:15 PM
I understand where you are coming from. I know that its bad for the enviroment and that its probably best to keep it on. I guess I mainly wanted to see if it would indeed do anything at all. If It doesnt then I will put it back. Its just that I here more people talking about their "cat-less" exhaust system like its an upgrade so I figured that it would be an interesting thing to try for free during the weekend.... Sorry for coming off like an ass.

DBMaster
01-06-2003, 09:00 PM
I understand. Back in the 70's when cats were very restrictive and actually used to plug up I actually installed a test pipe on my dad's 79 Bonneville. I feel kind of guilty about it now that I have kids of my own. Modern cats are not terribly restrictive and do a lot to clean up exhaust emissions which are going to get us anyway because of all the cars and traffic on the road. Even with cleaner emissions there are so many vehicles on the road that get crappy gas mileage that I'm not sure a few old 3g Accords putting out NOx and CO will make much difference.

I don't go out of my way to be environ-"mental." It was just starting to bug me that people were so casually disregarding the importance of a "clean" engine. Honda has actually made a few ULEV (Ultra Low Emission Vehicles) that are fast and clean. With all the technology we are capable of producing to kill each other and treat diseases it just boggles my mind that we can't come up with a more effcient way of moving people around. Then our cars would be like recreational vehicles and we could actually have fun driving them occasionally.

I apologize if I came off like "Al Gore" myself.

87AccordsterLx
01-06-2003, 09:20 PM
lol... Well I tend to favor the democratic party but we wont get into that... lol...

I would love to have the automotive industry get to the point where having emmisions equipment would not hender the performance of a vehicle what so ever... that would be great. There would be no reason to remove any of that stuff. I guess Im too young to see the big picture when it comes to things like this. Im still learning non the less... thanks for the friendly rebuttle... :)