PDA

View Full Version : Brand new compressor and A/C still not cold!

travis85904
06-10-2015, 04:20 PM
So after installing a brand new compressor, filter drier, expansion valve, and new seal on everything, i still dont have super cold air. i vacuumed the system down and there were no leaks. i filled with approx 5oz of pag46, and charged 1.7lbs of r134a. the air coming from the vent was about 45-50 degrees farenheight when i checked and it was roughly 75-80 degrees outside. i mean the air is definetely cool, it just isnt super cold like it should.. i also noticed on the sight glass on the reciever drier, there seems to be a white, almost gassy type of substance flowing through it, is this normal? i didnt notice any bubbles tho. Just wondering why it isnt blowing cold like it should be

Bullfrog
06-11-2015, 04:21 AM
45-50 degree air sounds about normal, how much colder air do you want it to blow? your getting roughly 35 degree drop in temps.

The best thing that can be done is to connect a full gauge set and see what's going on with the pressures on both the high and low sides. If the pressures are fine then one should consider the possibility of a blend door not functioning correctly.

You might also raise the hood and look at the evaporator outlet fittings, the accumulator, etc. for condensation. If there's any humidity to speak of you should see these parts sweating and there should be a constant condensation drip under the car if the A/C is functioning even halfway like it should.

Oldblueaccord
06-11-2015, 04:27 AM
So after installing a brand new compressor, filter drier, expansion valve, and new seal on everything, i still dont have super cold air. i vacuumed the system down and there were no leaks. i filled with approx 5oz of pag46, and charged 1.7oz of r134a. the air coming from the vent was about 45-50 degrees farenheight when i checked and it was roughly 75-80 degrees outside. i mean the air is definetely cool, it just isnt super cold like it should.. i also noticed on the sight glass on the reciever drier, there seems to be a white, almost gassy type of substance flowing through it, is this normal? i didnt notice any bubbles tho. Just wondering why it isnt blowing cold like it should be

I put 2 cans in mine last year. You sure your saying 1.7 oz and not 17?

5 oz oil sounds like alot of oil.

Both fans coming on when the compressor is on?

travis85904
06-11-2015, 06:02 AM
sorry, meant to say 1.7 lbs. and i guess i am just used to my expedition which blows 35 degree air even when its 85 degrees outside. and i found the oil spec online which said 5.75oz for the whole system, i did evacuate the old oil first btw. What about the whit stuff in the reciever drier? is that normal

also i will check the pressures again today, but yesterday if i recall correctly, my low side pressure was about 30 and high was roughly 200, i will check again today tho

Bullfrog
06-11-2015, 06:24 AM
good deal. you will have to consult the service spec for the pressure but yeah just realize that its old equipment. it soulds like it DOES work just not as good as something newer.

Oldblueaccord
06-11-2015, 07:00 AM
sorry, meant to say 1.7 lbs. and i guess i am just used to my expedition which blows 35 degree air even when its 85 degrees outside. and i found the oil spec online which said 5.75oz for the whole system, i did evacuate the old oil first btw. What about the whit stuff in the reciever drier? is that normal

also i will check the pressures again today, but yesterday if i recall correctly, my low side pressure was about 30 and high was roughly 200, i will check again today tho

40 maybe 45 on the low side might be a little better.

Im pretty sure I put 3 oz oil maybe 2.75 in mine. Thats what I drained out of a brand new Denso not rebuilt. I had a picture but I cant find it.

gp02a0083
06-11-2015, 10:04 AM
yah 3 oz of oil should be about right. From what I can recall that my father taught me with the sight glass, if its cloudy it may be still a bit low on refrigerant or you have a separate issue like having a bunch of moisture in the system. Putting the 5 oz of PAG might have been a little too much ( i understand the reasoning for as much oil you used being you replaced practically everything except the evaporator). From what you are saying the outside temp was around 80F and you are getting center vent temps in the upper 40's sounds about right. The only thing from what you are saying is that the pressures may be a little bit low for a 80F day, the low side psi should be in the 40's but the high side appears to be fine. I talked this over with my coworker, we both think your AC system is doing what it needs to. Otherwise i'd leave it alone.

travis85904
06-11-2015, 02:00 PM
so i checked pressures again today, with ambient temp around 75, i got 30 on the low side and 225 on the high side. i added a little more refrigerant to see if that would help with the bubbles at all and it seemed to have no effect. vent temps were closer to 40 today, so maybe ill just leave it now as suggested. so you guys dont think the bubbles are anything to worry about?

gp02a0083
06-12-2015, 09:07 AM
sounds like it is what it is for your system. 40F vent temp is not bad and your still getting a good reduction from outside temps. @ 75f 30 psi on the low side is a tad low and 225 on the high side is a little high.
here is the temp / pressure chart I use as a basic guideline. i'd leave the system alone and wouldn't worry too much about the bubbles at this point. putting anymore refrigerant in the system will just bump up the pressures and put a little bit more stress on the pump and not really give you better performance / cooling

just curious, but is the center temp you are measuring with the car sitting at idle? fan speed set to #3, fresh air selected, and set to vents ? I recall my system was hanging around the upper 30's/ lower 40's in a shaded garage with ambient temp 80-85F. After i took it on the highway center vent temps reduced to the mid/low 30's.

id leave it alone and enjoy.

travis85904
06-12-2015, 01:08 PM
sounds like it is what it is for your system. 40F vent temp is not bad and your still getting a good reduction from outside temps. @ 75f 30 psi on the low side is a tad low and 225 on the high side is a little high.
here is the temp / pressure chart I use as a basic guideline. i'd leave the system alone and wouldn't worry too much about the bubbles at this point. putting anymore refrigerant in the system will just bump up the pressures and put a little bit more stress on the pump and not really give you better performance / cooling

just curious, but is the center temp you are measuring with the car sitting at idle? fan speed set to #3, fresh air selected, and set to vents ? I recall my system was hanging around the upper 30's/ lower 40's in a shaded garage with ambient temp 80-85F. After i took it on the highway center vent temps reduced to the mid/low 30's.

id leave it alone and enjoy.

car was at idle, fan was on high (it doesn't work on any other setting but high) and it was on recirculating air, not fresh. will setting it to fresh make it a little colder? and i have noticed it gets a bit colder on the freeway

by the way your attachment didn't work for me

gp02a0083
06-13-2015, 12:55 AM
set it to fresh and what is the center vent temp?

Oldblueaccord
06-13-2015, 06:08 PM
So after installing a brand new compressor, filter drier, expansion valve, and new seal on everything, i still dont have super cold air. i vacuumed the system down and there were no leaks. i filled with approx 5oz of pag46, and charged 1.7lbs of r134a. the air coming from the vent was about 45-50 degrees farenheight when i checked and it was roughly 75-80 degrees outside. i mean the air is definetely cool, it just isnt super cold like it should.. i also noticed on the sight glass on the reciever drier, there seems to be a white, almost gassy type of substance flowing through it, is this normal? i didnt notice any bubbles tho. Just wondering why it isnt blowing cold like it should be

Im running about 45F today. 85 pretty high humidity. So your beating me.

Dr_Snooz
06-13-2015, 07:44 PM
It's hard to compare the performance of your Ford vs. the Honda. The Ford is a cast iron compressor driven by a V8. The Honda is a lightweight aluminum compressor driven by a small 4-banger. Your system is functioning well for what you have.

derolph
06-15-2015, 05:49 AM
Both fans coming on when the compressor is on?Should both fans come on? I recently had my AC compressor replaced by a local shop. So far, I've only seen the passenger-side fan running when the compressor is on. If both fans should be running, I imagine the system will cool more effectively with two fans running than with only one fan running. If both fans should be running, I think I should go back to the shop and discuss this with them.

Oldblueaccord
06-16-2015, 01:29 AM
Should both fans come on? I recently had my AC compressor replaced by a local shop. So far, I've only seen the passenger-side fan running when the compressor is on. If both fans should be running, I imagine the system will cool more effectively with two fans running than with only one fan running. If both fans should be running, I think I should go back to the shop and discuss this with them.

Yes both come on when the AC compressor is on. At least mine do.

I would guess one is bad.

Oldblueaccord
07-10-2015, 11:21 PM
Im running about 45F today. 85 pretty high humidity. So your beating me.

I ran the wifes car today 90+ degrees with 40% humidity. A 2014 Subaru Forester.

It never got below 40 vent temp either.

2oodoor
07-12-2015, 08:32 AM
Yes like was said, if there is condensation water dripping, the system is working. The key to the theory of refridgerant is the heat exchange at the condensor, so good air flow up front, both fans, is necessary. With all the parts replaced here, a new condensor would have been a good idea. Those need to be flushed out real good to be re used, google "black death" which is cooked residue inside old condensors.