PDA

View Full Version : Alternator Belt turned to Spagetti :(

86accord4dr
01-05-2003, 09:50 PM
So finally the sqeeling has died... but not before the alternator belt got ripped up and spit out.

I have to go to the parts store tomorrow and get a new belt. My question is...

1) How much am I looking at for a new one. (my buddy says $10)
2) They're gonna ask what engine i have and i have no idea. There's no badging on my car to tell me DX, LX or whatnot. How can i tell what engine i have?
3) Are there any tricks to installing it. I'm sure as hell not gonna get the shop to install it cuz they're gonna want $50 labor for it i'm sure.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Neuspeed87lx
01-05-2003, 09:53 PM
the engine code is stamped on the motor ... its an a20 ... is it carbed or fuel injected ?

socal3rdgen
01-05-2003, 10:30 PM
the engine code is stamped either the first arrow or the second. i dont remember off hand. look on the engine block in these 2 places.

http://www.3geez.kicks-ass.net/3g/stamp.jpg

86accord4dr
01-06-2003, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Neuspeed87lx
... is it carbed or fuel injected ?

Well it has a big air box like the pic posted... (gimme a break i'm a body work guy not an engine guy)

2old_honda
01-06-2003, 10:08 AM
If you have the big air box on top then you have a carb engine. The same carb engine is used in both the DX and LX models. Just tell them you have a DX.

86accord4dr
01-06-2003, 11:34 AM
WICKED! THANKS

ONCE AGAIN YOU GUYS HAVE SAVED THE DAY.

i thought the air box meant it was carbed... but when in doubt...

so i installed the new belt and everything is working a-ok. in fact i ended up tightening my power steering belt too (as you have to take that off first) and now there's no squeel when i turn to the far left or right...