PDA

View Full Version : just how much to paint?

bobafett
05-21-2002, 08:07 AM
i have some friends who are gonna help me paint my car (they have done it before, and i have seen the results, so i trust them)

but my question is about how far i should go... right now my car is blue, and i think i am leaning towards silver for the new color. i want to hit the mirrors, and the bumpers, and the side pieces that are molded into the doors... but i am unsure about painting all the mouldings and stuff around the windows. they are gonna recieve a mirror tint soon, so if there was a lot of silver surrounding them, it WOULD look good. but i think it would be funny to only have black rubber lining the windows in some spots...
does anyone have advice on just how far i should go when i paint the sucker? I also want to get the peice that holds the license plate, and paint it too. yk86 mentions chromed mudflaps but i wondered if matching the car color would look anygood

hondaaccord_86
05-21-2002, 11:03 AM
hey bobafett,
great color! after you get the car painted you should leave the mirrors and everything the way it is, see how it looks. if it looks bad, paint em. if not... keep everything the way it is. but keep in mind... not TOO much silver everywhere. the mirror tint is a keeper! good luck!
-ed

bobafett
05-21-2002, 09:39 PM
thanks for the vote of confidence in the color... i love silver cars.. and after seeing yk86's, i think my hatchback will look just as good painted like that! there is only one other modded 3g in my city, and its a really cool green color. i will try to get a pic one of these days if i see it...

TeKKnoTeKK
05-21-2002, 11:42 PM
I dont think you should paint the moldings and everything....IMO if you go all out and paint every last inch of the car silver it will look weird. Plus the black areas are gonna wear out sooner than the paint on the car making for a sloppy looking paint job. Just my opinion tho.

bobafett
05-22-2002, 09:34 AM
well yeah, thats the thing, i know what you mean when a car looks funny like that, but i have ALWAYS perfered cars that didnt have multi-color moldings and bumpers etc.... but i can see how getting carried away would make it look funny...

i guess i will just have to think about it some more, its not like i am painting the car this afternoon :)

still, i think the bumpers and molding and mirrors would look good silver... i am also gonna shave all the emblems.... so if i do it the way i am thinking now, the only black will be around the windows, and the rubber trim there....(that would be a pain and look stupic painted imo)

damackz
05-22-2002, 06:29 PM
do the mouldings and bumper man it will look pimped i have seen YK86 car in person and my uncle had a silver 3rd gen and both looked tight!!! lol on my car i have everything painted, mouldings, bumpers, mirrors and i love it!!! think about it man alot of people have gotten it painted after they painted their car so y not save ur self some tyme and $$$ and do it when u get it painted lol, my original colour was blue also but a greyish blue so i changed it to electron and the door jams and engine bay don't really look wierd but i am going to do it in the summer for sure.........good luck man and remember BASE/CLEAR hehe ;)

YK86
05-22-2002, 06:37 PM
I would paint the body, mouldings, mirrors, and bumpers but not the other stuff. Make sure there is a flex agent in the paint for the bumpers or it will all crack and peel off when it flexes.

bobafett
05-22-2002, 11:37 PM
well i think i am along the same lines with yk86 and dmackz as far as what i want to paint! (but what are you talking about when you say "not the other stuff"?

could you guys be specific in telling me the best ways to prep the car, and then once painting, the best strategies? i want to get it as good as possible...

YK86
05-23-2002, 08:27 AM
I meant the trim around the windows, the plastic part of the eyelids, the grill and stuff like that. If your friend knows what he is doing, I would leave everything up to him for the painting part. There is no real strategy for after painting. Just don't wash or wax it for a few weeks.

bobafett
05-23-2002, 08:38 AM
well there are two of them doing it... one of them does a really good job, cause i have seen his car, and it looks AWESOME! but the other guy would do a half assed job, and "think" its good... lol, but i will be picky, and make sure it gets done right.

example of the half assed job: they painted his grill (sweet 68 chevy pickup) on their driveway in the dark... lol, and it turned out shitty! :o heheh.... but i will make sure it turns out damn good since its MY car... heh...

hondaman87
05-23-2002, 08:29 PM
hey i personally would leve the black on i look better with the black trims and body side moldings i personally own a silver metallic one its a dx but I painted the bottom of the bumper to match the doors and it looked great if you like it with the black trims try painting the trims and body side moldings black it woud look sweet with a nice glossy look