PDA

View Full Version : Idle Problem?

Janiel
01-06-2003, 09:26 AM
Ok guys I just changed the motor in my LX-i And the idle surges up and down. What could it be? :wtf: I got the car with the motor blown but I asked the previous owner and he had the same problem but never got it fixed. Thanx.

anchovies
01-06-2003, 11:27 AM
Make sure there's no air in the cooling system. Bleed it again just to be sure. Another problem could be due to the fast idle valve. Spray some carb cleaner or tb cleaner into it and clean it out, you can also take it out so it's easier to clean and make sure the valve inside is not loose.

Luis 89LXi
01-09-2003, 05:17 PM
I has the same problem when I get my car. We read the Ecu codes and the problem was a bad TPS, I changed and works fine.
You can try.

njpeter
01-09-2003, 06:58 PM
and it turned out the idle was set way too high..symptoms..starts and fast idles well, soon as it comes off the fast idle it started pingponging between 1000-2500 rpm. worth a shot, as it's a freebee I'm planning on taging this car in april..which gives me about 10 weeks to finish the repairs I need to drive it

xbi0s
01-14-2003, 04:54 AM
I had this same problem :)

It'd heat up for like a few minutes, then it'd idle

800rpm to 1500rpm

OVER and OVER and OVER

Had a slice in a vacuum tube... Check out the tubing you got.. I think I saw something in my honda manual about Vacuum tube #26... but yeah, New vacuum tube and it ran great :)

Janiel
01-14-2003, 09:16 AM
I'am going to try vaccum hose #26 today and I'll let you know whats up.:)

AccordEpicenter
01-14-2003, 10:52 AM
Any of you guys had problems with your vacuum control box? I think I may have a bad solenoid

DBMaster
01-15-2003, 07:48 AM
OK, help me out here. The problem talked about here is similar to one I have been having. I wanted to check the vacuum hose angle, but the hose numbers only go up to 24.

What's the deal?

Janiel
01-15-2003, 10:41 AM
Funny. Mine only goes to 24 too. Mybe it on the carb models. Hey bro i fixed it! do this-unplug the plug that goes to the sensor or what ever that is. Its the plug that is right behind the fuel injectors. I think its the Eacv. Try it and tell me if works.:D

DBMaster
01-15-2003, 01:12 PM
I wish it were that simple! I eventually replaced the EACV and fast idle valve during my diagnosis phase.

Even the Honda dealer couldn't find anything wrong when I gave up and let them have a crack at it. My idle fluctuation is worst when the engine is hot (ambient temp above 80) and the car is coasting (like on an exit ramp or coasting to a stoplight).

I am starting to be convince that it has to do with a worn distributor. I guess I just put up with it until someone else with the same problem figures it out! :)

DBMaster
01-15-2003, 01:21 PM
Well, also the reason I thought about checking for hose 26 is that xBIOs, the one who posted that, has an LXi, too.

Janiel
01-17-2003, 09:21 AM
Yea but 86-87 were different from our 89's. They had more shit then ours.

njpeter
01-18-2003, 11:54 AM
that any "red dust" inside the distributor means trouble..those buggers can run a few bucks ( specially for LX-i)

Janiel
01-21-2003, 10:41 AM
Uh-Oh. My distributor is full of red dust. Whats that mean?

njpeter
01-21-2003, 08:45 PM
the bearing is going (or gone) and that makes idle timing most unpredictable...I'm sure a timing light would be jumping all over the place.I just got my first FI accord last month..but I've been around 3g for a while and I'm pretty sure I read about it here. I read everything and try to only recall the important stuff.

I've not seen these for sale on ebay, the carbed distibutor is not the same..could be a wallet flattener. good luck

Janiel
01-22-2003, 09:20 AM
Great. Now i have to buy distubutor. I am going to take a look at my friends dist. he is parting it out. Thanks for the help. :super:

DBMaster
01-22-2003, 11:25 AM
Mine has had red dust in it for some time. The timing stays pretty solid. I am living with it until the problem gets worse!

87DXHatch
02-04-2003, 11:10 PM
Mine revs too! I thought someone said before it was the idle control valve?

I'm pretty lucky though... mine ONLY does it when I start up the car for the first time of the day... but it's weird:

It only seems to happen when I have it parked in my yard, when the car has been sitting overnight at a slight angle forward. When I park overnight on flat ground, at my friend's house, it doesn't do it...

Input? :wave:

danronian
03-02-2003, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by DBMaster
Mine has had red dust in it for some time. The timing stays pretty solid. I am living with it until the problem gets worse!
If in fact your bearing for the distributer is going, my accord came with a story about that. The previous owner worked at a honda dealer and said that a few months ago they got my car in as a broken down trade-in. He said that the bearing for the distributer seized, snapped the timing belt, and cracked the distributer case leaving the person stranded and willing to trade the car in. So im not sure if this is a fluke or not but i figured i would share anyway.

ksdl89
03-07-2003, 11:31 AM
My 89 LX-i is doing the same idle fluctuation. It used to go away after a 10-15 min warm up, but now it's lasting a lot longer. No red dust in my distributor, I burped my cooling syst.,...I guess that leaves me with fast idle valve, or possibly idle solenoid? Problem is, my online manual doesn't show me where my idle solenoid is. Can someone tell me? Pictures are best, but I'll take a detailed description. Thanks.

Janiel
03-10-2003, 11:03 AM
Clean the idle control/valve with carb cleaner and this should take care of the problem. Give it a try and come back and tell us what happen.

Janiel

ksdl89
03-10-2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Janiel
Clean the idle control/valve with carb cleaner and this should take care of the problem. Give it a try and come back and tell us what happen.

Janiel
On an 89 LX-i, where is the idle control valve?

AZmike
03-10-2003, 03:30 PM
There's a picture in this thread:
http://3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10297&highlight=idle

a quick search can work wonders

ksdl89
03-11-2003, 08:10 AM
My mistake...I mean, where's the idle control solenoid. I tried a search for it, but came up with nothing. On the LX-i, is it the same thing as the EACV?

Janiel
03-11-2003, 09:15 AM
Yea its the Eacv. Its on the pleum. The wire that feeds it runs out of the ones that feed the fuel injectors.

ksdl89
03-11-2003, 10:37 AM
Thanks. Are those serviceable? Would I be able to clean it out, or is this a "replace only" part?

Janiel
03-11-2003, 11:29 AM
you could clean it with carb cleaner. It might fix it. But in the end you will have to change it.

pedrosa
03-26-2003, 03:43 PM
i think that the problem is tps, i has the same problem when i got my car, i agree with luis 89lxi, is better if you change or check it.
try it

Pister
03-31-2003, 01:15 PM
Same problem here, but ill drive for maybe 4-8 minutes, and my PGM-FI light comes on, then back to bouncing rpms agian. ECU spit out code 12, but none of my parts stores cary a valve lift sensor, or have even heard of it, is this the corect word for it, could it be called a solenoid also?

-Pister-*86 hatch lx-i

ksdl89
04-07-2003, 12:02 PM
I tightened down the fast idle valve, cleaned it out, still surged. I finally had to "bite the bullet" and go down to Honda dealer parts dept. and buy a new one for $57.00. Took 20 min. to install, and it works perfect. Surging is GONE!!

TigaMan10
07-15-2003, 07:04 PM
Hey you all. my car have the same problem but now it does it all the time. i drive it for a while and put the car in park. it still surges. and even sometimes when i am driving. and don't have my foot on the gas but i am just costing. i can feel the car and see the rev go up a little. i don't know what the hell is wrong. people say that the fast idle valve is the problem but i don't know where the hell it is. i can't find it in the car manual. anyways can anybody show me a pic of where it is and how do i know if it is bad. thank you.
tiga

1funryd
07-16-2003, 11:19 AM
I had the same problem in my 86Lxi, I bought a new JDM engine(same specs) and had it replaced, when I got it back the idle would jump up and down. I went back to my mechanic and we both trouble shot the car. Found out that we had to adjust the idle on a screw on the throttle body right near the intake. Runs great now.

This in for a EFI LXi not carb.

TigaMan10
07-16-2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by 1funryd
I had the same problem in my 86Lxi, I bought a new JDM engine(same specs) and had it replaced, when I got it back the idle would jump up and down. I went back to my mechanic and we both trouble shot the car. Found out that we had to adjust the idle on a screw on the throttle body right near the intake. Runs great now.

This in for a EFI LXi not carb.

Hey thanks man, i will try that tommorrow morning. you said the srew near the intake. looking at the engine. left or right of it. i am sorry. i am not really familiear where every thing is in the honda.
tiga

pedrosa
07-17-2003, 10:29 AM
i had same problem and check everything, new tps, distribuitor repair and idle selenoid but the problem went the fuel inyectors,if the co2 is too much higth you can try fitting in the potenciometer but is not posible you have fuel inyector problem.
remove the inyectors and clean with ultrasonic wash machine or put new ones, sure is the solution.

TigaMan10
07-20-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by pedrosa
i had same problem and check everything, new tps, distribuitor repair and idle selenoid but the problem went the fuel inyectors,if the co2 is too much higth you can try fitting in the potenciometer but is not posible you have fuel inyector problem.
remove the inyectors and clean with ultrasonic wash machine or put new ones, sure is the solution.

sorry man, i didn't understand a word you just said. :confused:
tiga

LoKo498
10-27-2003, 08:08 PM
This happened to me a few months ago. I havent drove it in a while & I think that why it was doing this.
Anyway to fix this I sprayed carb cleaner into the intake & then when that didnt work, while the car was still in park I slamed on the gas real quick a few times & I guess thats what cleared out the problem.
I never had this problem again. I guess that solved it.

jigga89SEi
10-29-2003, 10:52 PM
My car is doin the same thing....I'm going to look at it tomorrow morning....But I had one more question....With the surge...do your lights and other accessories dim a little?....I have a growin laundry list of alt. problems...N I'm not to sure of the problem....
Thanx
Jade