PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Clutch Question

HondaManDan
01-06-2003, 11:59 AM
has anyone with an automatic needed to change their clutch, flywheel, plates or springs in their transmission ever?? I'm having a hell of a time trying to figure out what my problem is. My tranny slipps like crazy, wont shift into D4 and it just started this winter. The car's been fine for the past year except for now. What the hell... i topped off the tranny and it still does this. what am i gonna do?

Grant2k
01-06-2003, 12:44 PM
Lucas Oil StopSlip is supposed to work miracles.

shepherd79
01-06-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by HondaManDan
has anyone with an automatic needed to change their clutch, flywheel, plates or springs in their transmission ever?? I'm having a hell of a time trying to figure out what my problem is. My tranny slipps like crazy, wont shift into D4 and it just started this winter. The car's been fine for the past year except for now. What the hell... i topped off the tranny and it still does this. what am i gonna do?

dude, automatics don't have flywheel, clutch or presure plate.
if it won't shift into D4 most likely your trany is on the way to junk yard. you can try those additives but i don't think they work.

diego_89accordlx
01-06-2003, 09:40 PM
yup your tranny is shot. automatics don't have normal clutches. so if something goes out you're done.

i had the same problem with my old car. it just slipped all the time. the only thing you can do is have it rebuilt for a sickly amount of money. (the said 2200 for mine) :barf:

maka_RTH
01-06-2003, 10:36 PM
my 4th doesnt' work either, i just drive around in d3. it's just an excuse to convert it to manual ;) that's actually why i got the car for $500 instead of like $1000+

dosh8er
01-06-2003, 11:10 PM
Has anyone considered finding out if the 3g auto transmission has adjustments for the belts inside.. ( forget if they are belts or another name is given to them... maybe clutches... that may be it..)

I'm positive 'other' auto tranny's have an adjustment for this...

ACCORD EX
01-07-2003, 01:40 AM
that's why i hate auto tranny ! once dead junk it !

MIKE

cruznz
01-07-2003, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by dosh8er
Has anyone considered finding out if the 3g auto transmission has adjustments for the belts inside.. ( forget if they are belts or another name is given to them... maybe clutches... that may be it..)

I'm positive 'other' auto tranny's have an adjustment for this...
i think the word ur looking for is band's...some auto's do have band adjustments,...but i think ours only have clutch packs no bands,...so no adjustments can be made...

ACCORD EX
01-07-2003, 07:33 AM
if i were you i would change tranny oil first ( last hope ) and if you are going to get another one just tear that apart and to see what's inside !

MIKE

AccordEpicenter
01-07-2003, 09:27 AM
nah... you fried a clutch pack either from blowing the drum seal or just wearing out the clutches. The only way to fix it is to rebuild... forget that just go to a yard and get one.

Don87LX
01-08-2003, 08:02 AM
Your transmission is shot. You will have to rebuild or replace it. You may squeeze some more time out of it with a transmission flush and filter change, but you could also just make it worse.

A junkyard autobox runs about 100- 120 bucks. you might find a shadetree guy to put it in cheap or roll up your sleeves and get underthere yourself, however it is a lot of work. If you're going to swap out the gearbox, you'd be better served in the long run and fun wise to change in a 5 speed.

Janiel
01-08-2003, 10:30 AM
I have a tranny of an 89' LX-i. Good condition. Sell it to you. Give me an offer.

HondaManDan
01-08-2003, 07:32 PM
the autos dont have tranny filters.

Is there a how to on manual conversions???.. i'd imagine it's quite the task.... the only problem is I dont have a workshop or garage to do this kind of major overhaul project... and i dont wanna go to a shop cuz then the cost just skyrockets...

but i like 5speeds :)..
isnt there a way to swap the internals of the 88 Accords 5 speed with that of a Prelude?

maybe i could get a cheap 5 speed gear box for an 88, then get one for a 89 lude, swap internals, and throw it on inplace of my auto gearbox.....

good idea???

HondaManDan
01-08-2003, 07:33 PM
Hey Janiel.... do you have the whole engine???? I could do an EFI swap while I'm at it.. lol.. how many miles on it?