PDA

View Full Version : Shaving....

uneek
01-06-2003, 02:55 PM
Well as you all know i have a 87 Accord lxi hatch... I called today about getting the door handles shaved off and im not going to jump into it because I got a price of about 3000-4000 dollars just for shaving the door handles now tell me if that sounds right or not...Thanks

A20A1
01-06-2003, 03:03 PM
are they installing the remote entry system as well? and repainting the parts they shave?

uneek
01-06-2003, 03:07 PM
are they installing the remote entry system as well? and repainting the parts they shave?

I told them not to do all that all i wanted is them to shave it and mold it thats all because im repainting my whole car and my dad can do the keyless entry.

A20A1
01-06-2003, 03:15 PM
for just the 4 handles I'd do it for $500 - $750 tops, but then I'm no buisness man. :D

uneek
01-06-2003, 03:19 PM
4 handle.....I have a hatch only 2 handles :D

Thats what im saying is that a outragious price or what?

iloveJDMblackrims69
01-06-2003, 03:30 PM
how about you just paint over your door handles, for some reason im not a big fan of shaving door handles or molding, but hey its your car and your choice.........only thing id consider shaving is HONDA and ACCORD and MODEL whatever on back but leave the H :) and that price does NOT seem right o me, thats just wayy too much, i mean shit, thats like a nice low-milelage used B20A or even a B16a for your car and almost labor and linkage work!!!!! too much for me

89AccordNate
01-06-2003, 04:05 PM
Thats an outrageous price. All they are doing is removing the handle, welding in a peice of metal flush with the door and smoothing it with bondo. The material is small and the labor MIGHT be what their trying to get you on. Take it to a shop who has done this type of thing many times and they will give you a much lower price. Body shops are all about labor, if they are experienced in what they are doing, it takes them less time, less time = less $. Experience is the key here.

Nate.

Mike89Accordcom
01-06-2003, 04:08 PM
That should only cost you arond $300-$500 to do. I know the guy who painted my car would only charge that much. Shaving the handles isn't that hard and wouldnt really take that long. Just half to fill in the hole.

Vanilla Sky
01-06-2003, 08:43 PM
just get someone that you know welds to do it for ya... i'm gonna pick me up a welder and give welding a shot... im doing it because of these damned places wanting so much for little things like that... i would get another quote at a reputable and established place and hope it's cheaper... otherwise, learn to weld yourself

smallballn
01-06-2003, 10:16 PM
:huh: Dude for 3000 bucks Ill fly from Tennessee and shave em and bad ass at bodywork LOL!!!! :lol

pearldrop
01-07-2003, 08:03 AM
For shaving handles and leaving it unpainted shops generally charge $100 to $150 per handle. It is worth it to take it to a reputable shop with shaving experience because the door metal warps very easily when welded too hot and will require a ton more bodywork if done wrong.

JaVaSa84
01-07-2003, 10:52 AM
How can you get into your car if there are no door handles? Do you press a button and the doors pop out or something?? Somebody give me an answer. Holla bacc

Mike's89AccordLX
01-07-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by pearldrop
because the door metal warps very easily when welded too hot and will require a ton more bodywork if done wrong.

You are somewhat correct. But, it warps because the person welding it tac welded the beads to close. And b/c the beads were probably too long.
And for $4000 you could go to a tech college and learn to do it yourself for that much. If you have a tech college that does bodywork take it to them and they'll do it cheap. Usaully 1/2 price.

pearldrop
01-07-2003, 03:07 PM
You are somewhat correct. But, it warps because the person welding it tac welded the beads to close. And b/c the beads were probably too long.

There should be a continuous bead around the patch panel by the time the welder is done. They tack the piece in and one tack at a time, they completely weld the panel in until it is completely solid. What warps the metal is when they don't wait long enough between welds and it gets too hot. The beads can't be "too close" because they need to be actually touching.

HondaBoy
01-07-2003, 09:33 PM
i can get this done for abot $400 give or take. but that price u say is too damn much. maybe if they were also throwing in a front and rear end conversion. and some other stuff. thats too much for just shavin some stuff off and well i think they are probley trying to dick u outta ur money.

uneek
01-08-2003, 12:44 PM
Thats what i though about it being way to much damn why are they charging so much well i found out that it will be the guy secodn time doing something like this so maybe that has to effect to the price who knows.

Y3G
01-10-2003, 06:22 PM
mine are costing aproxx. $100 a door
i did the trunk lid myself it turned out killer
and i did all the logos and anttana holes myself