PDA

View Full Version : custom piston choices yk86, carot,aerodeck

mykwikcoupe
01-06-2003, 05:26 PM
So I am planning my b20a turbo rebuild, I have it all and it works so Im not sure about swapping to all usdm stuff, try to convince me please, anyway I was hoping to dial the engine in to running 14 psi or somewhere there about. Anyway, should I use a custom venolia piston, find a honda size that will fit or some other brand, looking for info here. I havent yet pulled mine apart yet but, is there room to do a dome or because its a turbo should i dish? I havent rebuilt a turbo engine yet please help. I want max life with great power. I wont run over 5-6K rpm most likely,my damn wife want to keep here auto so I need a jdm auto in good to great shape. What are the available cams, will any b16 or 18 work? I know that I need to lower the reciplicating mass so should I still use forged and have them shot peened or something else(titanium or something) to keep the weight low? Keep in mind when someone daoes this kind of a swap its more about pride and bragging right hen cash. What about the crank? thanks for the info

mykwikcoupe
01-06-2003, 05:32 PM
I forgot to add that I am building this to compete with a friend. He is converting a 97 240 to a s15 silvia with all jdm and sr20det maybe nos so I need alot of power. He weighs less but I drive better, much better. I would like to run on pump gas so no 12:1 compression ratios. If someone knows the equation to figure turbo boost plus chamber I am thinking a total of 10.5 to 11:1 with boost. Any help is great. Willl the jdm auto hold this kind of power for a few miles or is there rebiuld kits to make it stronger like the chevy th400 tranny

RobT5580
01-06-2003, 06:25 PM
Ok but for one you want the lower compression possible for turbo usually 8.5:1 and 14Psi your probably gonna want a stronger piston like Arais. I wouldnt think the tranny will handle the abuse so i would maybe change plans. Justin has gone through a few trannys with his turbo and i dont think that Honda Transmissions can handle all the abuse unless re-build stronger. also to do the turbo properly your gonna need to spend some money i would say $5,000 minimum. I have spent some time looking up turbos and its expensive to do it right.

mykwikcoupe
01-07-2003, 01:12 AM
well i purchased b20a turbos engine and ludespeed turbo so thats all done. Its just a matter of how to set the whole kit up. The car is a daily driver but I like knowing that all these kids with there over priced rsx and type R acuras and best of all the over zealous stang driver. I only pick on stangs cause my baby is a 400 plus pony t bird supercoupe. When you drive a forced induction engine its so hard to go back to normally aspirated. I dont think that ive ever heard of aria for a piston choice is it a ferrrous like steel or more of titanium or aluminum? I was planning on having everything shot peened and coated by performance coatings. what are my options in upgradeing the auto tranny? thanks

Elijah
01-07-2003, 03:04 AM
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11592 Maby this will help with some ? about torbo engines.

YK86
01-07-2003, 03:39 AM
You can use Wiseco B20A5 8.5:1 pistons and if there is such a thing as aftermarket "perfromance" rods, you can use H23 rods. The B20A5 have the same bore and stroke and you can also get the Total Seal rings for it. I'm not sure what has happend to it yet but my friend Mike may still have his block with the 8.5:1 Wisecos, shotpeen and deburred rods, crank, and redone block. He doesn't like shipping big things but if I can help him out, maybe you want to buy it off him. Would probably be cheaper than buying everything and doing it yourself.I'm just pulling numbers out but he'll probably let it go for somethng like $600US for everything. The pistons alone were $400US. No oil pan since B20A Turbo hasn't shipped the stockone back but you have Mike's old one anyways right (should have come with your turbo kit)?? I'll ask him if you want.

mykwikcoupe
01-07-2003, 04:18 AM
I was reading about the b18c5 pistons and the question came up about the pin location, deck height ect, Has all that been checked and it will just fit right in with h23 rods no machining? well except for the shot peen and coatings and such. If you could ask that would be great and Ill put it in the mind in a storage file. Those are filling up fast. I was reading about the mallory hyfire VI. I think thats the one I am going to use because of the automatic retard setting you can program in with optional acc. This makes tunng a little less worrysome you know:D

RobT5580
01-07-2003, 07:17 AM
Ok your on the right track it sounded like you were only gonna do pistons. Accord Si has used civic type r pistons but he said the pin was either larger or smaller which had to be modified. I would try to pick up Mikes Block cause pistons run around $500 new and he had all the machine work done. The only topic i saw not dicussed which has been a problem on the A20A Turbo is the head gasket but if you send it out you can have one made out of metal (i think it was copper). I dont know what to say about the tranny but i know autos tend to break more than 5 spds. I know openloop rebuilt their 5spd with different gear ratio but you would need to find what is under stress and fails then have it built stronger but that is all gonna be custom made. I really wanted a turbo and spent a lot of time researching it but the truth is that its real expensive and i was gonna do it part by part and i bought nice Arias Pistons 9:1 CR but sold them becuase i knew it would take me yrs that way. For now im gonna do a N/A B20A although its gonna cost me about the same to build it for turbo minus the turbo stuff. Im probably gonna send the block/head to JG Engine Dynamics for the work. But i would buy Mikes block if you can cause its what you need and would probably be parted out further if you dont get it.

carotman
01-07-2003, 09:54 AM
the Integra type R pistons or Civic Type-R Pistons can be used but the piston pin is too small. You can machine the piston to use a larger pin or sleeve the rod to match the stock pin (that's what I will do)

mykwikcoupe
01-07-2003, 05:26 PM
so is this the famous mikelee that has the short block? I take it that it has been prepped and milled for the rebiuld already them? thanks for all the help it helps alot. I am part of a 1st gen civic page also and they dont help quite as much as you guys. Smart as hell though. My fist gen civic is still under construction also but its my driver so I only do 1 day projects, damn

RobT5580
01-07-2003, 05:36 PM
Yeah thats Mike Lee I was supposed to buy the whole thing last summer but as Yasu said he doesnt want to ship it. I was gonna do pretty much what your doing but decided to put the turbo on hold. But with Mikes setup i could afford to have done it the way i wanted but it didnt go through. I like the B20A cause it originated from the accord and it had more torque than a ITR. It should be a good base but for now it looks like im gonna go High Compression N/A but not 100% cause the build up is gonna run about the same as the turbo so im in a bind but i will decide when i get the motor and see how my finances are at that time. But good luck and i would get more info on the tranny cause i think that is gonna give you the most trouble and its not something you can just pick up locally so.

mykwikcoupe
01-07-2003, 06:03 PM
so where is mike located at and dont say some place on the east coast. Its like $400 to ship a motor and tranny from b20aturbo and if I have to spend another 400 to ship mike then I might as well tke greyhound and rent a uhaul:(

YK86
01-07-2003, 09:31 PM
I looked in your profile but it didn't list where you live. Anyways, we both live near Vancouver BC (Canada).

mykwikcoupe
01-08-2003, 12:24 AM
well it just so happens that during the summer weekends I am up near abbotsford almost every weekend doing racing with the other supercoupe owners, we give a hurtin to most of the local racers:D . If I can raise the money soon maybe Ill have to make a special trip. Is the stuff for sale or just venturing an option of making a few bucks with tough times? Thanks for the info once again. Say that a person was to convert to a b18 intake or whichever it is that you just drill the two holes. What advantage would this be over the JDM intake or upgraded a20a(larger injectors and TB)? does this other head have wiiring difficulties or is it just a matter of swapping pins also. Man this is the greatest site ever! Take a slow a20a and find ways to make all the best of the best fit with miner at most modifications!:super:

YK86
01-08-2003, 12:35 AM
Well then, I am actually one city over in Aldergrove! So Abbotford is like 15-20 minutes away. You can save ALOT on shipping if you decide to carry it home in your trunk. I talked to him just a while ago and he'd like to get about $750US for the shortblock. But if there's no shipping and stuff, maybe he'll take $700US since he doesn't have to go through all the hassles of finding a company to ship it. All you would need to do is add your own head, slap on the oil pan you got with the turbo kit and away you go! The block has also been redecked, honed out, oil return passages widened a bit, the pistons and stuff I mentioned earlier so I really think this will be a great deal for you. I told him you now have his turbo kit and although there is a buyer who is offering him quite a bit for his block to use in a Prelude, he would much rather you use it so he can see the end result of the project he originally started. He is very busy but we meet up quite often so you can go through me to make any deals. So where do you live when you aren't up here in the summer?

mykwikcoupe
01-08-2003, 01:27 AM
WOW what a small world. so he started with the urbo kit b20a turbo purchased and now I have it? You should have found me first. I have been looking for agood b20a for about 5 yrs now and finally found the one I want. I live in Everett WA. The way I drive that would be like a 2 hour drive to your place and a couple hours BSing and back home to glowt on what I great world this is. I am actually pondering using the turbo motor when it gets done in the wifes car(mikes shortblock with turbo mounted) and using the b20a from b20a and mounting a dual 45mm dcoe mainfold to the stock internals inh a different car that I would need to buy. WQell all dreaming aside I start school again in march and need to save for a while because unemployment doesny cut it when your saving for a house so Itll probably be spring before I could afford nut if its stilll there that would be sweet. So do you think that amy plan to build the turbo will beat or at least come close to beating a modified sr20DET silvia. thanks once again. keep me posted on mikes progress and man did you ever reply fast!

RobT5580
01-08-2003, 07:25 AM
You should look at Mike Lees web page if its still up. He put a lot of time and money into the thing. I wish the motor was sitting here at my house cause it couldnt have been any better because i wanted the low comp and all. But that is one thing i wont do is part with my car for the money because no matter what you take a big hit. Thats partially why im trying to get all my stuff done now because i know times are tough when you get married and i know when i do i wont have the money to finish the car (not that im getting married soon 4yrs maybe). But its been hard doing it all while paying for college but it will get done and good luck to everyone doing the B20A.

RobT5580
01-08-2003, 07:26 AM
oh this should be the link for Mike Lees page if it works.
http://www.geocities.com/mikelee000

mykwikcoupe
01-08-2003, 02:10 PM
so after looking at mikes page aa few questions arise. 1- the engine buildup in his page is that still in his car or is it mine or the one he is selling? How many b20a has he owned or built up? can he tell me anything about the engine and turboo I purchased from b20a turbo? Can he still get the f2ks auto and what are the ratios for this tranny, are they the same as the 5 speed? Could he get actual jdm parts for rebuildng f2k5 or modirying increaing performance or bearings or seals? Thanks again

RobT5580
01-08-2003, 04:57 PM
He only had that one and he sold the car awhile ago with the A20A in it. The turbo came from Ludespeed which is out of business for now but he bought it as a kit. From what i know mike got his parts from Spituning (was Redshift racing) but from what i hear they take some time to get the parts in. You can look at my posting about parts and order from them (direct from japan) but you have to pay the shipping which i guess is fair but can be costly depending who they use. He had a 5spd and i never heard what he did with the auto maybe check with Yasu. This should help out some what but i may call a shop that does import turbos and see if they have ever done an auto to see if it will hold up. I would recomend the 5spd but understand your situation.