PDA

View Full Version : Accord drag car

buzzbomber88lx
01-06-2003, 05:56 PM
I was just wanting a list of parts and stuff I can do to the a20a1 to make it the ultimate SLEEPER drag car. cam, valves, pistons, weber etc. I would love to make this car a nice 3gee drag car. Hopefully run 12's or 11's. IF THATS EVEN POSSIBLE lol. Anybody have any pics of any 3gee drag cars? hook me up. It is the ultimate project IN THE FUTURE but want to plan now.:super:

maka_RTH
01-06-2003, 06:06 PM
lotsa money for an H22, then go from there

buzzbomber88lx
01-06-2003, 06:10 PM
Whats so bad with the a20a1? seems to me like spending money on another motor when you already have one is a waste.

2old_honda
01-06-2003, 06:13 PM
talk to Sean if you want to stay with the a20

buzzbomber88lx
01-06-2003, 06:20 PM
Is sean his 3geez name so i can send him a message?

buzzbomber88lx
01-06-2003, 06:25 PM
I still need to get my car runnin strong again!!! heres the problem with my car hook me up on info! (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10685)

2old_honda
01-06-2003, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by buzzbomber88lx
Is sean his 3geez name so i can send him a message?

yes, 3geez member name Sean.

buzzbomber88lx
01-06-2003, 06:43 PM
I am not planning on starting even modding the car until this summer but I still am planning early. What would you do first...external mods to motor or internals?

2old_honda
01-06-2003, 07:05 PM
well that depends on what you want to do. Do you want to go turbo? NA? Nitrous? How much money do you want to spend? Also, is your car carbed or is it fuel injected? If it is carbed, the first thing you would want to do is upgrade the carb if you want to stay NA. If you want to go turbo you will have to convert your car to fuel injection.

buzzbomber88lx
01-06-2003, 07:14 PM
alright. my car is carbed and it still has that problem in that link. I don't know if you have any feedback on that or not but anything would help

Neuspeed87lx
01-07-2003, 12:33 PM
11 or 12 sec is a quick 1/4 mile ... dont expect it to be cheap... even if you stick with the a20 ... i would buy another 3g thats fuel injected and build that motor up like justin did or that other guy with the turbo did.... plus you would have another car to drive when your working on your drag car .... remove everytihng that isnt necessary... it might seem cheaper to build the a20 instead of swaping a motor but dont forget most of the stuff you need for the turbo is going to need to be custom made ... and that gets expensive

Project-LXi
01-07-2003, 03:13 PM
If you know how to do the work yourself, an EFI conversion would probbly be a lot cheaper than buying a whole new 3g. I however would suggest that if you seriously want to make a drag car, that you swap a different engine into it. Why? not because you cant do it with an a20, but because there is a lot more support for newer engines (b16, b18 etc), which also happen to be a better base to build on than the a20 IMO.

3G Jester
01-07-2003, 10:02 PM
a20a1 could also help ya out.....yes thats his name too

AccordEpicenter
01-07-2003, 11:28 PM
if you know what youre doing, looking at the costs it would cost around $2500-$3500 to turbo the car right, if you did all the money and what not... and thats if you did all the work yourself. maybe a few hundred less if youre gonna run low boost but i doubt youd get into the 11s or 12s with low boost maybe 13s or 14s with high boost (12 psi+) although i have heard of a guy running high 12s low 13s on a stock lxi with an automatic and alot of nitrous on a basically otherwise stock engine...

Neuspeed87lx
01-08-2003, 08:10 AM
alot of nitrous on a basically stock engine ? 12.. 13s ? :huh:

smufguy
01-08-2003, 09:15 AM
There is a drag civic (not a popular one) that runs on a A20 with twin webbers ( i think). i have a pic and if anyone is willing to host it for me, i can email you guys. ((i need to get the foundation memeber thing fast)). anywayz, i would say that considering the limitations of the A20, i would say H22 is your best bet cause two of the fast drag civics i know, run on those and they are darn quick, under 10 secs if i am not mistaken. They are stronger block, larger displacement and lots of aftermarket support. You cannot squeeze a large amount of power with higher reving limit on a A20 cause higher reving is nost part of the motor charecteristic. Lude engines with either a lude ecu or a performance ecu with all other necessariy things with a large turbo, you can have a better timing. IMO, you wanna take ur car to a drag strip, well, H22 is the way.

Neuspeed007
01-08-2003, 11:11 AM
yeah what he said.....................

Site
01-08-2003, 11:41 AM
KMS's Civic racer with the A20A engine and Mikuni carbs has a powerband up to 9200 RPMs. He uses a camshaft that he's welded onto and then ground to give overlap. The compression ratio is something crazy like 13:1 - he custom made the pistons as well. He balances cranks, ports/polishes heads, makes custom manifolds & headers. Supposedly, he's putting a twin cam head on an A20A block, too. Check out his shop's website here:

this is Sean please do not advertise for this shop again.we have yet to scrutinize his work and we also have yet to see any way to substantiate the claims thus far. until his shop has been srcutnized and looked over i will edit any post i see with refernce to this shop. the link has been reomoved. please refrains form doing this in the future thanx.

AccordSi
01-08-2003, 02:02 PM
I always respect someone who is willing to go all out for performance...like the guys on the board said an engine swap would probably be a better base, you know like a head start. But if you wanna build on the A20A you better be prepared to spend some dinero....cause mad performance don't come cheap. I think you bes option is EFI and lotsa boost....Good luck.

iiviasterp
01-08-2003, 06:03 PM
and he possibly ran the car in the 12's once before he blew up the motor.....runnin nitrious on a stock motor is not a smart idea....mine as well just start lookin for a new motor the minute you hook it up.....but about the drag car, id swap in a b18c5(integra type r) motor or possibly go with a LS/Vtec or CR-Vtec swap, all three motors have mad potential to run fast times. even with a b16 or a regular DOHC b18, you would have MAD aftermarket support. the good thing about the A20 is that it is an iron block, so if you would want to run turbo or another type of power adder, you would not have to re-sleeve the block, but like it was said earlier, many things for the A20 would have to be custom made, it all depends on how much money you want to spend....cause remember, speed costs money..........

buzzbomber88lx
01-08-2003, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the info guys. If I get a motor it will be the biggest vtec I can find. Correct me if I'm wrong I Think there is a 2.3 vtec out there and then the H22. I would probably get the h22 though.

Smoke'em
01-08-2003, 09:12 PM
well dont worry Im going to be building a A20 or 1.8 with 2.0 on it or something here soon. My dad just got a job for the guy who is building our mini-stock racecar motor a little 1.6 L hemi called a 2TC. But anyways yeah so Im going to build one just to say I did before I build a b20 or something and swap it out. Do you know if I can put a A20 2.0 head On the older 1.8L accord bottom. The motors look the same but I havent pulled the heads yet. I knowthe stroke is the same and the bore is only .010 smaller then the 2.0 so I dont know yet I got to go get the 1.8's from my bro's garrage. But yeah what that head and the cam I want 4000-7500 it should be a pretty good street sleeper maybe eat some tegra's It problaly wont sound to sleepy with my exhaust though but I love lummppy cams.well thank dudes

Site
01-09-2003, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by smufguy
There is a drag civic (not a popular one) that runs on a A20 with twin webbers ( i think). i have a pic and if anyone is willing to host it for me, i can email you guys.
Here's the pic!

Are you sure that's an A20A? The valve cover looks a bit different and the exhaust ports seemed to be spaced differently than on the A20A.

smufguy
01-09-2003, 07:58 AM
thanks for posting site, but u see, i was wondering about it too and the valve cover looks pretty close to it, but i cant seem to find what other motor would look like that, is it just the valve cover? like u said, the exhaust ports are werid. i mean, it cant be spaced like that. 1-2 and 3-4 are very closly spaced bwt each other. But everything else, like the distributor and the ignition coil looks similar to our's

Sabz5150
01-09-2003, 09:06 AM
Looks like the engine from a CRX. It's definitely not an A20... looking at the headers would tip that real quick.

KMS
01-09-2003, 12:15 PM
Thats a SCCA civic engine:pimp:

Grant2k
01-09-2003, 01:42 PM
you can turbo a carbed car by building a pressurized box around the entire carb like Car Craft did on their 454, but with an A20 it wouldn't be worth it when you can get more out of it with fuel injection. and as for aftermarket support, all of those H22 civics that are running 9s and 10s are still full of custom parts. you can't walk into any store and find most of the parts Stephen Papadakis or the Hurricane Civic are using. Everything will still require fabricarion.

smufguy
01-09-2003, 07:48 PM
really KMS?? damn.

Sean
01-09-2003, 10:45 PM
so i see the SCCA make engines ?