PDA

View Full Version : Yeaa..Should I be worried?

lxidavid
06-23-2015, 06:11 PM
88' LXi here, so as of recently with the hot days and all, I had my A/C recharged. When I go to turn it on the car vibrates like hell. :chainsaw::squint: The thing is, I recently changed spark plugs, and spark plug wires. Hoping this would solve the vibration, it solved nothing. This car has over 150,000 miles on it, I take care of it religiously, and it is my only ride. Now, I have heard it might be the motor mounts. So, I looked, I found one of them, and I took some pics. Should I be worried? What are my options?

7021 7022 7023

gp02a0083
06-24-2015, 08:55 AM
thats the automatic passenger side mount, its pretty much a useless exhaust hanger. if you are suspecting the motor mounts usually the front and rears go as well as top dog bone mount.

Dr_Snooz
06-25-2015, 09:00 PM
You don't need to be worried, but I'd swap it out. I'd also replace the cap on that breather for the trans. If the other three mounts look like that, I'd definitely be changing them. It should go a long way to fixing your idle.

lxidavid
06-27-2015, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the input DR Snooz. Now, I have read that using any old mounts is no good, if so, which brand would you recommend? or reliable website will I be able to find the ones I need?

Dr_Snooz
06-27-2015, 07:43 PM
I had good luck with Anchor the last time I bought some.

lxidavid
07-05-2015, 03:49 PM
Ok, well I need to look into taking care of them soon. I hope I can find them at a reasonable price...

gyates93
07-10-2015, 11:13 AM
The idle is poor when you turn on the AC or when you turn on the car? Does it smooth out if you press the gas?

When your AC compressor is engaged it loads the engine and will cause your rpm to drop. Rough idle in gear is a pretty common issue with these cars, yours might just be idling a little too low.

lxidavid
07-11-2015, 10:30 AM
The idle is poor when you turn on the AC or when you turn on the car? Does it smooth out if you press the gas?

When your AC compressor is engaged it loads the engine and will cause your rpm to drop. Rough idle in gear is a pretty common issue with these cars, yours might just be idling a little too low.

Yes, when the AC is on the car vibrates or shakes with more intensity. The idle is low, yes. It runs perfectly during acceleration. I notice the shaking at red lights, and stops when in gear. If I switch to Neutral the shaking is much less.

gyates93
07-11-2015, 10:47 AM
Your car should idle at around 850rpm when warmed up and in gear. If its much lower than this you can turn it up a bit. Changing your motor mounts will improve idle and power to the road, however I think these cars will always idle a little rough in gear.

lxidavid
07-12-2015, 11:29 AM
Oh gotcha!