PDA

View Full Version : The Car has gone NUTS!!!

DoktorC
01-06-2003, 07:49 PM
Had the car in the shop to check out some things...I pulled the wires off to check the plugs and the ends of the wires came out...no prob I had an old set of factory wires hanging around...so I pulled of the cheapos...without looking at the order in which they attach to the distributor...no prob I'll just look at the D16z on the floor...did that put the wires on and turned the key...Pooof backfire through the carb (obviously not the right order)...this time I look in the manual...this time I got it right. Here's where the trouble starts...The car starts right away revs to 4 grand for about 1 sec. then stalls, then it will start right away again (the cycle continues). If I "feather" the gas it will stay running and it seems to run fine at higher rpm but it will not under any circumstance idle. The is also a whisling sound coming from the carb (maybe I blew the carb gskt when it backfired).
sorry about the length......

A20A1
01-08-2003, 10:42 AM
Yeah you might have busted a vacuum line, probrably a manifold vacuum line since the throttle plates are for the most part closed durring start up.

DoktorC
01-08-2003, 12:53 PM
yeah...I'll check that...what about the carb to manifold gasket? There is definetly something letting air in because I can hear it whistling...I just have to find the hole...

A20A1
01-08-2003, 01:03 PM
use some carb cleaner and spray small squirts in the area you think the leak is an listen for a change in idle.

DoktorC
01-08-2003, 01:18 PM
the problem is that I have to rev it so high it keep it running spraying carb cleaner won't effect anything that high. I did spray some cleaner down the carb and in maintained a constant 3000 rpm with no peddle...

DoktorC
01-23-2003, 07:05 PM
Well I just thought I'd let everyone know that I found the problem...I guess I blew on of the big vacuum lines off some big white piece of plastic (I have no idea what it is or does) but the car runs fine now....thanks for the help

A20A1
01-23-2003, 07:59 PM
Ok glad to see you fixed the problem.

I don't know what the white vacuum parts are either.
For now it's a UVO (Unidentified Vacuum Object) :lol

oh by the way... was it on the right side?
or left side close to the fire wall?

DoktorC
01-23-2003, 09:11 PM
Its on the driver's side of the intake manifold, right behind the black plastic box (with the big black tube that runs to the air filter)....It looks like a huge FPR...but I have no idea what the heck it is..

MrBen
01-30-2003, 12:41 PM
LOL at UVO. HAHAHA!

That's pretty funny