PDA

View Full Version : 5th gear problems.....

diego_89accordlx
01-06-2003, 09:34 PM
Ack! Sometimes my car won't shift into 5th. other times it's just fine. And i just noticed it's making a funny noise *reeeeeeeeee*. Incedentially my reverse gear makes this same noise.

I assume the problems is that my tranny oil is low. i have a small oil leak, but i'm not sure if it's from the engine or the tranny. can someone tell me how to check/fill the tranny oil before my 5th gear goes to hell??

:sadwave: :wtf:

ACCORD EX
01-07-2003, 01:39 AM
there is a clutch how to in the how to's , there you can find all about draining and refilling the tranny !

MIKE

HondaLuxury
01-08-2003, 01:39 AM
5th gear in these gears in notorious for failing. It is made out of a plastic material, you know. You may need to have your tranny rebuilt, or hopefully, your oil level is low and that fixes it.

diego_89accordlx
01-08-2003, 02:06 AM
Lol.......... you know i got pissed and took it in to have it looked at today. they filled the tranny fluid and it works great now. i have a mysterious tranny leak somwhere. i'll have to get that looked at once i get some money.

so i'm happy it works again, and i'm glad i did something about it before the gear wore itself bald. :tongue:

anyway. they didn't tell me what kind of fluid to use. what kind of transmission fluid does a 89 5 speed use anyway? i want to have some on hand.

maka_RTH
01-08-2003, 02:32 AM
i think it just uses regular engine oil (ie. 10w-30). i can't remember for sure, it's in the owners manual. if you don't got your's i'll look it up for ya tomorrow, but it's freaking cold out right now so i don't wanna go outside lol

ACCORD EX
01-08-2003, 04:35 AM
the leak would be propably the C.V joints seal ! ( where the axles go into the tranny !

MIKE

AZmike
01-09-2003, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by HondaLuxury
5th gear in these gears in notorious for failing. It is made out of a plastic material, you know. You may need to have your tranny rebuilt, or hopefully, your oil level is low and that fixes it.

There are not plastic gears in our transmission or any transmission I am familiar with. The reason 5th gear fails is it is highest in the tranny case so if the oil level is way too low it is the first gear to loose lubrication and overheat.

89AccordLXI666
01-11-2003, 09:24 PM
Ok My 5th gear completly won't work it feels like it's in nuetral.... can some 1 please tell me where I would find the part to fill the tranny fluid into... I wanna experiment and see if 5th will work after I put in tranny fluid into it... and what type of tranny fluid would u recomend me putting in for my 86 Accord LX??? Thanks guy's Lataz

maka_RTH
01-11-2003, 10:45 PM
i looked in the owners manual it recommends either 10w-30 or 10w-40 motor oil for a manual transmission

HondaLuxury
01-12-2003, 12:51 AM
there is a bolt on the passenger's side of the tranny where to fill it. It has a pretty big head on it. it is also where you check the fluid, you have to make sure the fluid is level with the bolt hole when parked on a level surface